Forum Functions & Functionality: Technical Problems & Known Issues

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I just started using a popular VPN and when I have it turned on and try to access this forum my “IP address is banned”. I’ve tried changing which server I’m coming through but all seem to be similarly banned. Am I correct in deducing that this is because bad guys have in the past come through these same VPN servers to attempt unsavory actions against our forum site? And that I’m basically unable to use my shiny new VPN to come here? Urghhh.

This means of course that the NSA will continue to be able to monitor my activity here.
I use 'turbo VPN' which is free and have no issues accessing the site :p

Lb8535

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Loading is very slow from this morning. No other site is affected. Don't know if it's just my area, NY state Spectrum.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Loading is very slow from this morning. No other site is affected. Don't know if it's just my area, NY state Spectrum.
I had some time-outs earlier in the day, too.

I don't know the cause, but it's nothing we've been warned to expect by the Tech-God.

ChasFink

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
I was experiencing random slow loading this morning as well. If anyone needs to know, I'm using mobile phone service in the Long Island NY area on the Verizon network.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I too couldnt access the site for about 30 mins earlier today

Last edited:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I was experiencing random slow loading this morning as well. If anyone needs to know, I'm using mobile phone service in the Long Island NY area on the Verizon network.
I've been having random slow page loading and occasional time outs too, it's been happening all week, thought it was more computer issues here, but relieved to know it's not just me.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I've been having random slow page loading and occasional time outs too, it's been happening all week, thought it was more computer issues here, but relieved to know it's not just me.
Ditto here.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes ... This slow-down / bogging-down behavior has been steadily increasing during this past week. We're trying to determine whether there's a specific cause or problem.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I've had the slowing down/not loading etc. No problem, I just switch to one of those @Swifty webcams for a while.

pelgrane

Interested bystander
Reaction score
Hmm, it seems speedier this morning and admittedly I am now browsing on a PC as compared to a phone - but I've noticed that the google analytic / google tag manager scripts add about a third to the page load time, if that's of any help.

Vardoger

I'm #1 so why try harder
Reaction score
Hmm, it seems speedier this morning and admittedly I am now browsing on a PC as compared to a phone - but I've noticed that the google analytic / google tag manager scripts add about a third to the page load time, if that's of any help.
It's often scripts and advertising from "outside" which slows sites down.

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
A query.

The various emoticons available for 'liking' a post? Are they extensible?

If so , could we add a 'knowing wink'? Especially useful in conspiracy discussions.

I'm really pleased we have more than just like - it always seemed wrong to like a post where one hated that whatever was brought to our attention had happened but one appreciated the poster for drawing attention to it. 'sad' covers that quite well.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
A query.

The various emoticons available for 'liking' a post? Are they extensible?

If so , could we add a 'knowing wink'? Especially useful in conspiracy discussions.
I'm not sure.

We didn't actually request the ones we have, they just turned up with a board upgrade and it took us a short time to figure out how they worked.

Whether there are more, I'll have to enquire.