Forum Functions & Functionality: Technical Problems & Known Issues

ralfy

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
I've a similar problem: I must have left the VPN on while surfing, causing my regular IP address to be banned in this board. I can get in only using the Tor browser.

Krepostnoi

Confronting the challenge of porcine fragility
Reaction score
I've a similar problem: I must have left the VPN on while surfing, causing my regular IP address to be banned in this board. I can get in only using the Tor browser.
That's interesting. I regularly need to use a VPN to log-in, because so many Vietnamese IP addresses seem to have been banned. My home IP address sometimes is whitelisted, and sometimes not - presumably it gets assigned dynamically by my ISP. My point being that, in my experience at least, VPN use doesn't obviously preclude logging in subsequently while "decloaked", as it were.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Have to say, the current smileys are crap. A search for a word like 'cat' can bring up a pile of non-related ones. (There doesn't seem to be a 'dog' one. Or a 'thanks' for that matter.)

The bigger ones holding implements high in the box aren't bad, but lower down it's a mess of tiny faces in various hues. Can't be much use on a phone.

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
Have to say, the current smileys are crap. A search for a word like 'cat' can bring up a pile of non-related ones. (There doesn't seem to be a 'dog' one. Or a 'thanks' for that matter.)

The bigger ones holding implements high in the box aren't bad, but lower down it's a mess of tiny faces in various hues. Can't be much use on a phone.
I use the “thumbs up” for thanks and like and agree. :badge:This one I enjoy occasionally lol.

ralfy

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
That's interesting. I regularly need to use a VPN to log-in, because so many Vietnamese IP addresses seem to have been banned. My home IP address sometimes is whitelisted, and sometimes not - presumably it gets assigned dynamically by my ISP. My point being that, in my experience at least, VPN use doesn't obviously preclude logging in subsequently while "decloaked", as it were.
Sorry about that! It was a problem with Adguard for Desktop. I reset it to default and the problem disappeared.

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
Apologies (and shame, given my background) but could someone explain how the multi quote feature works? I've tried to use it a couple of times with lamentable failure.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Apologies (and shame, given my background) but could someone explain how the multi quote feature works? I've tried to use it a couple of times with lamentable failure.
Go to the posts you want to quote and click on +Quote.
Then click on the Insert quotes button that appears.
Remove the ones you don't want.
Click Quote messages.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Go to the posts you want to quote and click on +Quote.
Then click on the Insert quotes button that appears.
Remove the ones you don't want.
Click Quote messages.
... And edit the inserted quotes (e.g., remove unneeded text) as desired / appropriate for framing your intended response.

If you wish to break apart a chunk of quoted text (e.g., to respond to multiple points within a paragraph one-by-one) you'll have to break the text into appropriate chunks and manually bracket each chunk with quote tags. If you've quoted text the tags are already there, making it a matter of careful copy and paste.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I think you highlight the post or bits of text you want to quote, hit +Quote, these are then stored, you can store as many as you like, then you click "insert quote on your message and you can add the quotes to your post

Lb8535

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
This ia not problem, but some time ago I objected to being described as a non-existent hairy monster and replaced the description tag. I think I'm probably beyond that stage, could I request that I please revert to the default status? Thank you.

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
This ia not problem, but some time ago I objected to being described as a non-existent hairy monster and replaced the description tag. I think I'm probably beyond that stage, could I request that I please revert to the default status? Thank you.
Click on your name at the top right of the screen, you get a drop down menu, from there click on account details and go to custom title and you can put whatever you want in.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
One additional note ...

If you want to revert to the default automatic label just leave the Custom Title field blank.

IamSundog

Not insane
Reaction score
I just started using a popular VPN and when I have it turned on and try to access this forum my “IP address is banned”. I’ve tried changing which server I’m coming through but all seem to be similarly banned. Am I correct in deducing that this is because bad guys have in the past come through these same VPN servers to attempt unsavory actions against our forum site? And that I’m basically unable to use my shiny new VPN to come here? Urghhh.

This means of course that the NSA will continue to be able to monitor my activity here.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I just started using a popular VPN and when I have it turned on and try to access this forum my “IP address is banned”. I’ve tried changing which server I’m coming through but all seem to be similarly banned. Am I correct in deducing that this is because bad guys have in the past come through these same VPN servers to attempt unsavory actions against our forum site? And that I’m basically unable to use my shiny new VPN to come here? Urghhh.

This means of course that the NSA will continue to be able to monitor my activity here.
I use 'turbo VPN' which is free and have no issues accessing the site :p

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
When searching for the 'strange deaths' thread earlier, i typed in 'strange deaths' selected 'search titles' and the 'strange deaths' thread was 5th snd ladt on the search results, am i doing something wrong?

Screenshot_20210223-083357.jpgScreenshot_20210223-083403.jpg

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
When searching for the 'strange deaths' thread earlier, i typed in 'strange deaths' selected 'search titles' and the 'strange deaths' thread was 5th snd ladt on the search results, am i doing something wrong?

View attachment 35754View attachment 35755
Nope. The search engine doesn't know which Strange Deaths you want so it is returning every instancce of Strange Deaths in the title field.

Not sure why it is giving you the first entry which matches just with Deaths, it doesn't give any other hits where it matches with just a single word. Other than the reason Peripart gave of course :)

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score

Use Google search instead by typing in Forteana forum strange deaths .. that normally finds correct threads for me here a lot faster than the search engine here.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
When searching for the 'strange deaths' thread earlier, i typed in 'strange deaths' selected 'search titles' and the 'strange deaths' thread was 5th snd ladt on the search results, am i doing something wrong? ...
No, you're not doing anything wrong.

Four of the hits you received have 'strange' and 'deaths' in the title. The fifth doesn't, but is tagged with the 'strange deaths' tag.

Search results are listed in descending order of origin time (i.e., newest to oldest). The Strange Deaths thread's position at the end of the listing means it was the earliest thread to either include the search terms in its title or be tagged to match the search criteria.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score

No, you're not doing anything wrong.

Four of the hits you received have 'strange' and 'deaths' in the title. The fifth doesn't, but is tagged with the 'strange deaths' tag.

Search results are listed in descending order of origin time (i.e., newest to oldest). The Strange Deaths thread's position at the end of the listing means it was the earliest thread to either include the search terms in its title or be tagged to match the search criteria.
The alternative is to SEARCH here:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?search/&type=post

And order by 'most replies'.

This will rank major threads higher than minor ones.