• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Forum Functions & Functionality: Technical Problems & Known Issues

I''m still getting frequent warnings about posting reactions.

Also, when I look at the board on my phone in different parts of the house or garden on the same router I'm told my IP address has been banned.

Also, when I look at the board on my phone in different parts of the house or garden on the same router I'm told my IP address has been banned.
There's a warrant out for your arrest. :p

I'm unable to correlate this with any prior post you've made about tech issues.

What exactly are you referring to? Are you getting some sort of warning when attempting to post a reaction? Or ... ?

The most probable explanation is that as you move about the place you're repeatedly connecting via a different IP path (between your device and our server), and some of those paths end up with your arriving at our gates from a banned IP address.

This implies shifts somewhere along the connection path, and those could be happening anywhere from your most immediate connection point (router?) all the way through to the last IP address from which you finally connect to the forum.

Are you using a VPN?

I'm also getting an error message when I try to look at alerts.
I'm still getting this and since I mentioned it I've started getting the error message when trying 'like' etc.
No VPN.

I'll show Techy when he's back, he'll know the craic.

I'm still getting this and since I mentioned it I've started getting the error message when trying 'like' etc.
No VPN.

I'll show Techy when he's back, he'll know the craic.
Try doing a refresh.

I still need to know *exactly* what message(s) you're seeing when you find yourself blocked.

Is it just me, or is anybody else experiencing the same thing?
Playing a Youtube video here plays the video, but there is no sound. Playing it on Youtube, sound works just fine.

I still need to know *exactly* what message(s) you're seeing when you find yourself blocked.
I get a pop-up type banner that says this -

Oops! We ran into some problems.
Oops! We ran into some problems. Please try again later. More error details may be in the browser console.

This is when I click some command like reacting to a post or the menus.

When I tried opening a new tab to look at this thread I got the 'Page Unavailable' message so I tried again and it worked.

(I also had the usual problem where highlighting text to display a quote also includes text below it. I've learned to put that right by cutting the text I don't want as a quote and pasting it back further down.)

I get a pop-up type banner that says this - ...
This is when I click some command like reacting to a post or the menus.
When I tried opening a new tab to look at this thread I got the 'Page Unavailable' message so I tried again and it worked.
Hmmm ... If it's still a recurrent occurrence it sounds more like a connection / updating problem.

It's not unusual to have this sort of thing happen around the top of the hour, when the underlying database is updating.

Hmmm ... If it's still a recurrent occurrence it sounds more like a connection / updating problem.

It's not unusual to have this sort of thing happen around the top of the hour, when the underlying database is updating.
Really? I'll make a note of the time if it happens again.

The search function clearly isn’t working. As a test, I recently entered ‘What TV’ expecting to get a result for what TV are you watching. No results found.
This shitty search function never works for me.

Neither 'what' (too common; excluded) nor 'TV' (too short; excluded) will return any results.

'Watching', on the other hand, works to bring up a listing that includes the "What TV Are You Watching" thread.

Neither 'what' (too common; excluded) nor 'TV' (too short; excluded) will return any results.

'Watching', on the other hand, works to bring up a listing that includes the "What TV Are You Watching" thread.
Second guessing a thread title when a thread title is actually called ‘What TV are you watching?’ is hardly an intuitive search method. Not fit for purpose.

Second guessing a thread title when a thread title is actually called ‘What TV are you watching?’ is hardly an intuitive search method. Not fit for purpose.
Choosing the longest word/words in the title works well enough. Most have a word longer than five letters.

Besides all that, entering ‘watching’ into the search just gives me a random bunch of MY recent posts, Cats and people. What are they like… Worst movie ever… RIP thread.
It’s useless.

If I was someone new, how would I know where to look for whatever spooky unnameable horror I could find out more about?
No. This search is very much not.

I find that if I'm looking for a thread I have previously used then using the longest word I know to be in that thread (maybe 'enterprise' if I'm looking for the Star Trek thread) is usually specific enough to return good results. Even better, if I know a word I used myself in whichever thread I'm looking for, is to search within my own posts only.
As pointed out by EnolaGaia, and previously further upthread IIRC, very short words will not return results as the list would be way too long.

I also occasionally get the 'Oops' message and the Search function can be a little....unreliable, but as a user of other forums (sorry, sorry, I know!) I do have to say that this one is a marvel of useability.

Over on Reddit, just inadvertently pressing a key with the side of a finger whilst browsing can cause ALL SORTS of nastiness. I frequently lose entire posts, never to see them again. Compared to that, this one is WONDERFUL.

... As pointed out by EnolaGaia, and previously further upthread IIRC, very short words will not return results as the list would be way too long.

The search facility doesn't scan the entire contents of the forum, because any such search would grind the forum to a halt. Instead, the search facility scans an index into the forum's content.

There is a lower threshold for the word length that is indexed for searching. That threshold is set to the default value of 3 (and no - it's not going to be set lower). A word has to be more than 3 letters long to be indexed. If it's not 4 letters or longer, it isn't indexed. If it's not indexed you're not going to get any hits on it using the ordinary search.

In the course of updating and renovating the forum's content the staff has been applying manually-imposed tactics to facilitate searching, with attention given to handling words too short to be indexed. There are two primary such tactics:

(1) Titling threads with searchable words, word forms, or strings containing shorter words.
(2) Manually creating tags (search tags) and tagging threads.

Example: Searching for The Tea Thread

Using the forum's ordinary Search or Google

An ordinary search will not return a hit on 'tea', so you can't find The Tea Thread by simply searching on 'tea'. Period, full stop ...

The full title of the target thread is: The Tea Thread (Teas; Tips; Preferences: Etc.)

An ordinary search on 'teas' (word length = 4 letters) will return a hit on the thread title (and anywhere else 'teas' appears).

An ordinary search on the quoted string "tea thread" will return hits within the thread, because some posts in The Tea Thread contain the phrase "tea thread."

An ordinary search (Titles Only) on the quoted string "tea thread" will return a hit on that particular thread.

An ordinary search on a searchable word appearing within the thread (e.g., 'Pekoe') will return a hit within the thread.

A Google search on the quoted string / phrase "tea thread" and the site "forums.forteana.org" will return a hit on The Tea Thread. Now that we're 3 years past the 2018 forum exodus Google's indexing of the forum content is largely up to date.

Using manually-added forum content tags

We now have almost 3,600 manually created tags that have been manually added to threads. 'Tea' (like some other short terms such as 'DNA') has been established as a tag.

Because tagging is a purely manual procedure, the forum's array of tags and tagged threads is dynamic and not comprehensive.

To search the separate index of these manually-imposed tags:

- Click on 'Search' at the top of the current webpage;
- Click on 'Advanced Search';
- Click on 'Search Tags';
- Enter the desired term or string into the text entry window;
- If a relevant / appropriate tag (e.g., 'tea') appears in the resultant drop-down listing of available tags - select it;
- Click the 'Search' button.

... And this will return a list of threads that have been tagged with the tag you've selected.

This explains why I couldn't find any references to the sitcom What We Do in the Shadows this week.

This explains why I couldn't find any references to the sitcom What We Do in the Shadows this week.
But you would have received multiple hits if you'd searched on the quoted string "What We Do in the Shadows".

You have to enclose the text string in quotes to designate it as a string rather than a collection of individual words.

Back