• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Forum Functions & Functionality: Technical Problems & Known Issues

Could you please stop bloody spamming threads that people need to read?

It's becoming ridiculous. I'm just going to issue a temporary ban to the next person that does it.
I was going to gently tease @stu neville about having a heart, but don't want to be banned...

A suggestion for mods, is it possible/desirable to have a "most recently searched for terms " section? I've seen it in other places where there will be a list of recent searches and you can click on them. ...

This sort of ability to track and display searches (e.g., "Most Recent Searches") is not built into the XenForo package. Adding such a capability would require adding an additional outboard software package. In other words, it's technically possible but requires a financial investment.

Perhaps more importantly ... Such tracking of most recent (most popular; whatever ... ) searches is most useful when the forum is focused on a single well-defined topic (e.g., a particular hobby; a single vehicle). This sort of topical focus isn't reflected in the diversity in Fortean subject matter.

For example ... If there'd been a recent run on UFO searches a most recent listing wouldn't be much help to someone looking for ghost or crypto searches.

I was going to gently tease @stu neville about having a heart, but don't want to be banned...

There are certain places within the forum where joking, punning, teasing, etc., can be tolerated in the context of casual banter (e.g., in Shat Chat).

More "serious" areas - especially areas like this one where we are trying to help members - are not among the places where such crap will be tolerated any more.

There are certain places within the forum where joking, punning, teasing, etc., can be tolerated in the context of casual banter (e.g., in Shat Chat).

More "serious" areas - especially areas like this one where we are trying to help members - are not among the places where such crap will be tolerated any more.
Just as I thought, I'll gently mock @stu neville in more appropriate areas (i.e dark alleys, etc)...

Just as I thought, I'll gently mock @stu neville in more appropriate areas (i.e dark alleys, etc)...
He's sexy when he's angry .. warning.

Speaking of "warnings" ... Maybe you didn't understand Stu's, and you've earned yourself a new one.
- EnolaGaia

Last edited by a moderator:
Could you please stop bloody spamming threads that people need to read?

It's becoming ridiculous. I'm just going to issue a temporary ban to the next person that does it.
Mark this. There was a reply almost immediately.

We're entirely serious about spamming non-Chat threads. Next example gets a ban for as long as we feel like it.

You have been warned.

He's sexy when he's angry .. warning.

Speaking of "warnings" ... Maybe you didn't understand Stu's, and you've earned yourself a new one.
- EnolaGaia
Fair enough .. but you know your shoe lace is untied?

And what you wrongly thing is happening it's called 'trolling', not spamming. I'm doing neither.

This sort of ability to track and display searches (e.g., "Most Recent Searches") is not built into the XenForo package. Adding such a capability would require adding an additional outboard software package. In other words, it's technically possible but requires a financial investment.

Perhaps more importantly ... Such tracking of most recent (most popular; whatever ... ) searches is most useful when the forum is focused on a single well-defined topic (e.g., a particular hobby; a single vehicle). This sort of topical focus isn't reflected in the diversity in Fortean subject matter.

For example ... If there'd been a recent run on UFO searches a most recent listing wouldn't be much help to someone looking for ghost or crypto searches.

Understood, I was thinking of it more as a "random" way of interacting with the board, more: "oh look someone has looked for 'seahorses' or 'daguerreotype', I wonder what comes up?" rather than: "I'm looking for this specific subject."

I'm curious as to the order topics come up in the fora now not available in 'What's new'. I'd have thought they'd have been in 'most recent' , or 'most recently posted to'. They seem to come up in a not exactly random order, in that some of them are recent posts, but I can't fathom it out.

Or maybe there is some way of selecting the sort order that I've stupidly missed?

Oh sorry. It's all under 'filters' - attack of rigid thinking again - in my products filters and sorts were quite separate concepts. I'll just shuffle off quietly...

I've just noticed that under my MrRING picture, it no longer says "Android Futureman".... is that a piece of functionality that got lost at some point? It's not super important or anything, but inquiring minds want to know! :)

I've just noticed that under my MrRING picture, it no longer says "Android Futureman".... is that a piece of functionality that got lost at some point? It's not super important or anything, but inquiring minds want to know! :)

Not sure--will check.

Think I fixed it.

The first few threads in each forum (as far as I've checked) do not show in the order of the the last post - I've only noticed this since the recent changes i.e. creation of the members' lounge:
1652621011305.png

(My filter is set to Last message > Descending)

Because the first few are 'pinned' - they always appear at the top of the list. And they are listed in order of most recently added to.
And then below them come everything else, also listed in order of most recently added to.

Because the first few are 'pinned' - they always appear at the top of the list. And they are listed in order of most recently added to.
And then below them come everything else, also listed in order of most recently added to.
So can they be unpinned. I've tried without success?

Morning chaps I seem to be having difficulty with the website.
I have to put in e.mail and password every time I go on the site?
Is this just the norm now AND no emoji’s.
Please remember your talking to a computer novice

Morning chaps I seem to be having difficulty with the website.
I have to put in e.mail and password every time I go on the site?
Is this just the norm now AND no emoji’s.
Please remember your talking to a computer novice

Since early April you've logged on 216 times from 3 different IP addresses - the most recent of which you began using only yesterday.

Assuming you've been using a single device and the same browser since early April ...

The most likely explanation is that your device and / or browser is not retaining the cookie(s) from your previous login(s). Cookies are little files a website stores in your browser / on your device (e.g., as a record of who you are and whether you're authorized to be considered logged-on).

Check your browser settings, your device network settings, and any other security-related settings to see if your device (and / or browser) is flushing your logon credentials after each visit.

I've not had any luck trying to re find my possible pillbox preservation project thread, any of you gents got any advice on that please?. I think I started it in 2018?.

Back