• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Forum Functions & Functionality: Technical Problems & Known Issues

Only a suggestion etc (#2)
Well the issue does not appear to have recurred within the past couple of days.
I'm guessing it was most likely as per your assessment that I had posts that didn't fully load themselves before I 'clicked away'.
We shall see.

Website is a bit clunky tonight. Getting lots of ‘page not found, check your connections’ etc. Refresh, & the page appears. Also some pics/graphics not appearing. Just get a box with a ? In it.

The pipes could do with a clean. Or something

Noted.

Though not replicated in my locale.

Will investigate.

I found it slow to load late evening but it resolved quite quickly - assumed it was something to do with the network.

When I attempt to create a post / thread (or subsequently attempt to edit same) the authoring icons along the top of the text entry field are permanently greyed-out...specifically:

B (for bold); italicised 'I'; 3-dot hamburger; Venn 'link' symbol; tiny landscape image; 3-dot hamburger; a space; the 'refresh' circular arrow, and finally: yet-another 3-dot hamburger.

This is within a Chrome mobile browser, irrespective of whether I force a desktop view.

As a fault it has not been thoroughly researched by me (eg my cookies have not been recently purged) but this smartphone & browser combo has allowed me to interact with the Forteana Forum flawlessly for a looong time. Now the Editing icons are inaccessible to me, and to embolden my text I need to enter screeds of half-forgotten BB code viz

|OPEN BRACKET|LETTER B|CLOSED BRACKET|TEXT|OPEN BRACKET|FORWARD SLASH|LETTER B|CLOSED BRACKET|

....yet we're in the year 2023CE/AD

I think it must be either a me-only profile issue as a member, rather than a site-wide problem: but I'm unsure.

But it's restrictive and annoying.....(help, help I'm being repressed)

When I attempt to create a post / thread (or subsequently attempt to edit same) the authoring icons along the top of the text entry field are permanently greyed-out...specifically:

B (for bold); italicised 'I'; 3-dot hamburger; Venn 'link' symbol; tiny landscape image; 3-dot hamburger; a space; the 'refresh' circular arrow, and finally: yet-another 3-dot hamburger.

This is within a Chrome mobile browser, irrespective of whether I force a desktop view.

As a fault it has not been thoroughly researched by me (eg my cookies have not been recently purged) but this smartphone & browser combo has allowed me to interact with the Forteana Forum flawlessly for a looong time. Now the Editing icons are inaccessible to me, and to embolden my text I need to enter screeds of half-forgotten BB code viz

|OPEN BRACKET|LETTER B|CLOSED BRACKET|TEXT|OPEN BRACKET|FORWARD SLASH|LETTER B|CLOSED BRACKET|

I think it must be either a me-only profile issue as a member, rather than a site-wide problem: but I'm unsure.

Are you referring to a thread you are going back to edit? If so there is only a limited time in which you can edit.

Nb just checking the commands are working as I am creating the post.

Have you tried pressing ctrl & B down together to embolden & ctrl & I to italicize? You need to press them both down together again to turn them off. (I remember this from word processing & I use this when I don't have the options to embolden or italicize in a programme.)

Part of a dream I had last night had me being visited by @Yithian to help fix some sort access problem to the forum by using my own PC.
When he left I discovered that he had left himself 'logged in' as a moderator, so I could, in theory, pretend to be him and go changing loads of stuff!
What I'm saying is, remember to log off if you're away from your PC.

Part of a dream I had last night had me being visited by @Yithian to help fix some sort access problem to the forum by using my own PC.
When he left I discovered that he had left himself 'logged in' as a moderator, so I could, in theory, pretend to be him and go changing loads of stuff!
What I'm saying is, remember to log off if you're away from your PC.
"Noted!"
Logging Off.png

Are you referring to a thread you are going back to edit? If so there is only a limited time in which you can edit.
No, I mean immediately, even at the point of creation, and subsequently (eg now). It must just be me, but I don't know why...

And, dear @Horsa : I have no Ctrl-B etc options, as I am typing this upon the tiny touchscreen of an Android smartphone, rather than an old-skool real keyboard on a Windows/Apple/Linux personal computer

I will in the next instance try a total stop/restart of the browser from within App Manager, or a full reboot of the phone (which is a very unusual thing to have to do, these days to be honest)

No, I mean immediately, even at the point of creation, and subsequently (eg now). It must just be me, but I don't know why...

And, dear @Horsa : I have no Ctrl-B etc options, as I am typing this upon the tiny touchscreen of an Android smartphone, rather than an old-skool real keyboard on a Windows/Apple/Linux personal computer

I will in the next instance try a total stop/restart of the browser from within App Manager, or a full reboot of the phone (which is a very unusual thing to have to do, these days to be honest)
I had this and @Krepostnoi solved it: Post 1605 in this thread. copied below.

"My bet is you've somehow toggled the BB code setting - it looks like a pair of square brackets: [ ] It allows you to manually enter markup code in square brackets to achieve things like quotes or spoilers. I'm on my phone just now, so can't be sure what your options look like on a laptop, but I think you'll see the brackets at the top right in the options bar of the posting box. You may need to click the three dots to reveal extra options. When you find them, click them, and you should see the other options restored."

"My bet is you've somehow toggled the BB code setting - it looks like a pair of square brackets
RESULT!! How on earth did that happen?? And to further cause confusion, the icon to disable that disablement is, itself, pale and apparently disabled. But in fact it is entirely-enabled, to facilitate my salvation!!

Many thanks @Tunn11 and @Krepostnoi !

RESULT!! How on earth did that happen?? And to further cause confusion, the icon to disable that disablement is, itself, pale and apparently disabled. But in fact it is entirely-enabled, to facilitate my salvation!!

Many thanks @Tunn11 and @Krepostnoi !
Yes, quite agree the fact the icon itself also appears disabled is most confusing. All credit to @Krepostnoi for solving it.

I'm very sorry to hear that. I didn't realize you were on a phone.

I'm very sorry to hear that. I didn't realize you were on a phone.
Rest assured that this is down to my ever-changing access modes of technological interaction, rather than any form of digital penury.

This experience has also reminded me of my long-standing intention to invest in a small external Bluetooth keyboard when on my mobile runaround, for the extended enablement of my digits (computational, phalangeal and chronological).

Is there any way to stop seeing an entire section of the board?
Say you were fed up of ghosts and didn't want to read about them any more. Can you block all threads form the Ghosts section?

Say you were fed up of ghosts and didn't want to read about them any more. Can you block all threads form the Ghosts section?
You could always close your eyes and ignore them, if there's not the ghost of a chance? :)

No, I'm afraid not.

The closest I can suggest is that not logging in hides CHAT and MAINSTREAM NEWS.

But there's good chance that those aren't the sections you're fed up with.

You could always close your eyes and ignore it, I imagine, there's not the Ghost-of-a-chance though?

Say you were fed up of ghosts and didn't want to read about them any more. Can you block all threads form from the Ghosts section?
You could hire somebody to censor your viewing for you.
Pay them to log on everyday and forward all the new items to you that aren't ghost related.

Also, FTFY.

Is it too much bother to avoid the bits you're not interested in?
There seem to be a lot of them at the moment. Easier to scroll past at home on my Macs than at work on my phone, which is where I usually surf the board. When I'm home in the evenings my eyes aren't so good.

One way to deal with it is to click on the unwanted threads with the new posts so they drop down the list.

I'd prefer not to do that because I'm not interested in what's in them and I don't want to spend my precious time on them.
Also, algorithms? I dunno if I'll get more of the tosh!

There seem to be a lot of them at the moment. Easier to scroll past at home on my Macs than at work on my phone, which is where I usually surf the board. When I'm home in the evenings my eyes aren't so good.

One way to deal with it is to click on the unwanted threads with the new posts so they drop down the list.

I'd prefer not to do that because I'm not interested in what's in them and I don't want to spend my precious time on them.
Also, algorithms? I dunno if I'll get more of the tosh!
Right - phone is far too fiddly for me. I haven’t got the patience for it. Or the eyesight.

Don't know if this helps you @escargot, but I find that if I haven't read a thread for a while, I don't get the alerts for them after some time and I have to remember to look at them to read the newer stuff.

Not sure if you are referring to your alerts, but that is the function that I am talking about.:)

Don't know if this helps you @escargot, but I find that if I haven't read a thread for a while, I don't get the alerts for them after some time and I have to remember to look at them to read the newer stuff.

Not sure if you are referring to your alerts, but that is the function that I am talking about.:)
Thank you! :)

I don't have alerts for any of the disliked threads. They just come up in the New Posts list and will stay there forever unless I click on them.

Back