Forum Functions & Functionality: Technical Problems & Known Issues

Krepostnoi

Almost uniquely humourless
I'd like some feedback with regards to large images loading, if anybody has the time.

Pages one and two of this thread are large-image heavy.

Please scroll down each and tell me how quickly the images load and whether they're comfortable to browse or an absolute pig.

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/the-bibliophilia-thread.63247/

And then report back by telling me what a) device/connection you are using, b) how well/fast it loaded, c) whether you experienced any problems.

We're trying to find a comfortable compromise for the maximum permissible image sizes.
A very slight stutter on the first post as the images loaded, but the images in the later posts were already loaded by the time I scrolled down to them, so that was a seamless experience. Eminently acceptable even to my micro-second boredom threshold. The second page had loaded all the images by the time I scrolled down to them, and that while - with all due respect to my esteemed fellow posters - I may have displayed a tendency to skim over the occasional word on my way down the page...

Using an Asus C302CA chromebook (thus, obviously, Chrome browser) via a Vietnamese broadband connection which scores around 12Mbps according to this site.

Ogdred Weary

Resurrectionist
Linking to a picture elsewhere, it displayed in the box at the bottom that you use to write messages but not in the actual message, went in and tried to redo it to no avail. There was simply nothing in the space where the photo should be, rather than one of those "failed image" tiles.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Linking to a picture elsewhere, it displayed in the box at the bottom that you use to write messages but not in the actual message, went in and tried to redo it to no avail. There was simply nothing in the space where the photo should be, rather than one of those "failed image" tiles.
Please post the bare URL for the image here.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member

That was 'hot-linked'

Type: [you-are-ell] insert URL here [/you are ell]

(you-are-ell = URL). If I type the actual letters, it will try to generate a link and fail to do so.

Last edited:

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Better.

This time I:

1) went to that page with the image.
2) right clicked to save the image to my computer
3) Clicked 'Attach files', browsed to the image in my downloads folder and selected it
4) The image appeared beneath my reply box with two blue-button options.
5) I chose the one on the left 'Thumbnail' (not the one on the right 'Full image')
6) This happened:

Timmy-Mallet-1.jpg
[You may click on this image to enlarge it to full-size]

This second method is much preferred because:

a) If the original image is (re)moved, we still retain a copy here.
b) Some website owners do not like you stealing their bandwidth.
c) These smaller 'thumbnail' images load quicker, but are large enough that members needn't usually consult the larger version.

Ogdred Weary

Resurrectionist
Many thanks Yith.

So it appears that the "image" button above the typing box does not work then? I inserted the URL that way.

Edit - in case anyone was wondering why I was attempting to post an image of Timmy Mallet it was in reference to someone posting something about heading a wet football being like being hit over the head with a rubber mallet...

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Many thanks Yith.

So it appears that the "image" button above the typing box does not work then? I inserted the URL that way.

Edit - in case anyone was wondering why I was attempting to post an image of Timmy Mallet it was in reference to someone posting something about heading a wet football being like being hit over the head with a rubber mallet...
The "image" button is not for inserting URLs, it's a variant way of doing method 2 (above). Rather than clicking 'Attach files' (Step 3), you can clock there and browse to the file on your computer.

1) went to that page with the image.
2) right clicked to save the image to my computer
3) Clicked 'Attach files', browsed to the image in my downloads folder and selected it
4) The image appeared beneath my reply box with two blue-button options.
5) I chose the one on the left 'Thumbnail' (not the one on the right 'Full image')

What I do at 3) is simply click and drag the image into the reply box and the result is the same.

Ogdred Weary

Resurrectionist
The "image" button is not for inserting URLs, it's a variant way of doing method 2 (above). Rather than clicking 'Attach files' (Step 3), you can clock there and browse to the file on your computer.
There are two options when one clicks on the "image" button, at the top of the little box that appears when one clicks this button, there is a "link" button, hovering over this produces the prompt "by URL" and creates a box in which to paste the image address.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
There are two options when one clicks on the "image" button, at the top of the little box that appears when one clicks this button, there is a "link" button, hovering over this produces the prompt "by URL" and creates a box in which to paste the image address.
Yes, I've just tried it--it also works.

But for the reasons I've listed, please use the second method.

Schrodinger's Zebra

My joints go out more than I do
Odd thing happened when I inserted some links onto a post earlier - this post https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/ghost-cat-materialising-moggy.64983/#post-1801974

I'd inserted four links, all using the LINK button (the one with the two chain-links on the icon) - I inserted them all using this manner, as I always do - but when I submitted the post, the first two appeared differently (as you can see on the post). If I edit the post to see what's going on, it seems these two have been given MEDIA tags even though I didn't do that. (I tried removing them altogether and putting them in again, with the LINK button, but the same thing happened).

I've never come across this strangeness before - any ideas/explanation?

I'd like some feedback with regards to large images loading, if anybody has the time.

Pages one and two of this thread are large-image heavy.

Please scroll down each and tell me how quickly the images load and whether they're comfortable to browse or an absolute pig.

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/the-bibliophilia-thread.63247/

And then report back by telling me what a) device/connection you are using, b) how well/fast it loaded, c) whether you experienced any problems.

We're trying to find a comfortable compromise for the maximum permissible image sizes.

Just tried it and both pages loaded seamlessly - I was able to scroll down without any delay whatsoever, very smooth, all pictures appeared straightaway. I'm using a Windows 8 laptop on wifi connection. (Must admit I was expecting delays, cos I've always got delays on the video-heavy threads, such as 'what music').

Last edited:

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Odd thing happened when I inserted some links onto a post earlier - this post https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/ghost-cat-materialising-moggy.64983/#post-1801974

I'd inserted four links, all using the LINK button (the one with the two chain-links on the icon) - I inserted them all using this manner, as I always do - but when I submitted the post, the first two appeared differently (as you can see on the post). If I edit the post to see what's going on, it seems these two have been given MEDIA tags even though I didn't do that. (I tried removing them altogether and putting them in again, with the LINK button, but the same thing happened).

Because the first two were from Reddit, one of the half a dozen 'big' social media sources that the board automatically fetches and embeds.

The second two were from minor sites with no such privilege.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member

Just tried it and both pages loaded seamlessly - I was able to scroll down without any delay whatsoever, very smooth, all pictures appeared straightaway. I'm using a Windows 8 laptop on wifi connection. (Must admit I was expecting delays, cos I've always got delays on the video-heavy threads, such as 'what music').
Sites which auto-embed like this are: Reddit, Twitter, Pinterest, Tumblr, WhatsApp and (formerly, now dead) Google+.

Schrodinger's Zebra

My joints go out more than I do
Because the first two were from Reddit, one of the half a dozen 'big' social media sources that the board automatically fetches and embeds.

The second two were from minor sites with no such privilege.
Ah, ok - I'd never noticed this with Reddit links on here before. Explains it (but it's still annoying to my OCD-self who wants all links to look the same) :D

By the way I've since edited my post and added in a reply to your request about the image-heavy thread.

Peripart

Antediluvian

...n report back by telling me what a) device/connection you are using, b) how well/fast it loaded, c) whether you experienced any problems.

I'm using an HP laptop which has to be 5-6 years old, and browsing via Chrome, with a BT internet connection which has a download speed of around 6Mbps (who knew such a slow thing still existed?). Despite all that, all of the photos on that thread's first 2 pages loaded as near to instantaneously as makes no difference.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
No problems at all, images loaded immediately. Using a PC and Microsoft Edge.

with a BT internet connection which has a download speed of around 6Mbps (who knew such a slow thing still existed?).
Just checked mine and it's only 5.58Mbps. I don't have any problems streaming tv shows but I used to. I think there must have been some improvements on the content providers side of things.

INT21

Antediluvian
An observation.

The first thing I do when turning on my computer is to check Email.
I read them and either delete on move them to the appropriate folders.

Since we moved over I find that all the previous days notifications appear again, plus any new ones.

Today, for instance, I have nine notifications since I last signed in, and maybe fifteen from before that I had already deleted yesterday., it only does this with email from this site.

Is this happening to anyone else ?

INT21.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
INT21:

Have you verified that the apparently extra notifications are duplicates of prior ones, as opposed to additional ones triggered by subsequent postings to the same thread(s)?

INT21

Antediluvian
That is a possibility I hadn't thought of. It was pretty busy on here last night.
I'll make sure all notifications are removed when I shut down tonight and check again tomorrow.

INT21.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
is there a way Whats New can show more than 10 posts at a time à la New Posts
Yes, but it would require a change in the structural specifications / settings for the forum display elements.

I've also wondered whether the default listing length for What's New should be increased.

I'll add it to the list of issues to bring up among the staff.