• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Forum Functions & Functionality: Technical Problems & Known Issues

Just briefly, thank you (belatedly) to all involved with keeping the Forum going and averting the crisis faced. I can't put into words how much enjoyment and enlightenment I've experienced on these pages over the last 5 (I think) years. I've been through some dark, shitty days recently where my time would have been spent in far more negative and self-destructive ways had I not had this website for company, so cheers, long may forums.forteana.org exist : )

Hmmm. I can't see a 'Top' arrow.

Another lurker poking their head above the parapet to issue a heartfelt "Thank you" for all the hard work that has gone in to saving this place. Very happy to have remembered my password first time too!

*cheers and applause*
I'm and old fartess set in her forum visiting ways. Sunday night--Fortean Times Forum, Monday night--Snopes forum . . . and so on. So I felt so adrift that early November Sunday, when when connecting to the forum didn't work for me (chromebook). Since I knew there was a major transition going on, I just couldn't wait until next Sunday. And here it is good or better than new.

Attachments

• so happy-cat-month-01-600x534.jpg
    so happy-cat-month-01-600x534.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 8
Apparently people are replying to the "Thank you" but I can't see them, or any likes etc. Hmm. When I try to put a follow-up post I get a message saying that a security issue has arisen, I need to go back, refresh page and try again...but it doesn't work.

Oh, I can reply to this thread it seems! Still can't view the replies on the old "Thank you" one.

Apparently people are replying to the "Thank you" but I can't see them, or any likes etc. Hmm. When I try to put a follow-up post I get a message saying that a security issue has arisen, I need to go back, refresh page and try again...but it doesn't work.

I hate to be tedious, but have you flushed cache and cookies and logged out and back in again?

The thread is functioning fine for me.

Yes, I have. No effect. It doesn't bother me about the "Thank you" thread. I'd said what I wanted to say, but the security pop-up is worrying. It made me think that I had been banned and I couldn't understand why. (Unless the mods don't like gratuitous displays of gratitude! ;) )

Sorry, work intervened.

'Security issues' are nearly always that you're trying to view an 'extinct' page--or a page you no longer have access to. And the main reasons for no longer having access to a page are a) that the page has been moved/deleted (not in this case), b) that you have somehow been logged out. I'm almost certain it will be an issue with cookies. One in particular we've had issues with is 'cloudflare'.

Go into the cookies folder itself and delete anything featuring the word 'Fortean', 'Xenforo' or 'cloudflare'.

Better still, install and run the free version of this, but beware that if you badly require cookies for other sites they may also be lost.

I'll ask Enola to take a look, too.

EDIT: I'm merging this thread with the new forum technical issues thread.

Yes, I have. No effect. It doesn't bother me about the "Thank you" thread. I'd said what I wanted to say, but the security pop-up is worrying. It made me think that I had been banned and I couldn't understand why. (Unless the mods don't like gratuitous displays of gratitude! ;) )

Please check the new Conversation I've started with you and Yithian.

Frequently a click on a thread takes me to page 1 of say 398 pages, as I remember, used to go to the last page. Just saying. New site is great.

Frequently a click on a thread takes me to page 1 of say 398 pages, as I remember, used to go to the last page. Just saying. New site is great.

If you click on the thread title (left-hand side of a thread entry within a listing) it takes you to the beginning of the thread.

If you click on the hot-linked time of most recent post (right-hand side of the thread entry) it takes you to the last / latest page.

I think the following is correct:

If you have already read the most recent post in a thread, clicking on the thread title takes you to the first post on (obviously) the first page, but if you have not already read the most recent post it takes you to the most recent unread post (often the final post on the final page, but not necessarily)

If you want to ensure that you go to the most recent post, do not click on the thread title, go all the way to the right of the screen and click on the time (in blue text) that indicates when the latest post on that thread was made.

Edit: Just tested--correct.

I was looking at some posts earlier. I am using Firefox. Problem is that when using Firefox I can't resolve any video or pictures. But I can if I use Avast browser; or rather I could on the old site.

Just tried to use Avast and I get this message..

This site can’t provide a secure connection
forum.forteana.org uses an unsupported protocol.

ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH

Which effectively locks me out of any responses using pictures.

INT21

I was looking at some posts earlier. I am using Firefox. Problem is that when using Firefox I can't resolve any video or pictures. But I can if I use Avast browser; or rather I could on the old site.
Just tried to use Avast and I get this message..

This site can’t provide a secure connection
forum.forteana.org uses an unsupported protocol.

ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH
Which effectively locks me out of any responses using pictures.

My first guess is that the new site appears to be using an 'unsupported protocol' because its platform is actually employing things that are newer than your network / browser setup. The new site's underpinnings are quite literally 'the latest', and implement current security (etc.) protocols that weren't even used on the old site (which didn't even use secure protocols).

How old are the relevant components of your current setup?

I installed Avast browser about a month ago.

Just noticed that the IP address starts https//

I assumed that meant it was secure anyway.

INT21

I installed Avast browser about a month ago.
Just noticed that the IP address starts https//
I assumed that meant it was secure anyway.

Yes. The old forum was 'http' (plain; not requiring secure connections). I would regularly get warnings advising me it wasn't secure.

This new forum is 'https' (secure connection required) with an outboard cloud service handling the security transactions.

When you cannot view an image, is it ever an attached file resident here on the forum? If the problem only affects remote-linked images, it probably has something to do with your security features / software forbidding re-directs in obtaining content to assemble into the webpage you see on-screen.

It was noticed when I tried to see whatever Dr wu had posted on my new 'Songs that hit hard' thread.
All I could see when using Firefox was the top line of text.

In the past I have changed to avast and been able to see the content.

Avast won't even let me onto the site. Just gives the error message.

Is anyone else here using Avast Secure Browser ?

INT21

My guess is that Avast is making you seem 'masked' in some fashion that the forum's secure (https) basis and / or security handlers won't tolerate.

To the best of my knowledge the new site is not imposing any 'special' / 'peculiar' security protocols above and beyond currently generic 'best practices'.

How old is your Windows OS / PC? Current security protocols mandate an ability to handle 128-bit encryption. My understanding is that this can't be handled using older 32-bit Windows OS's, and it can be a problem with some of the early 64-bit versions.
(I'm not a PC person, so I can't be more specific.)

I'm running XP. And, of course, Windows stopped supporting XP a long time ago.

But it is relatively bulletproof.

Sadly it is showing it's age these days..

I may have to break out my Windows 7 machine. Maybe that will do it.

INT21.

Belated thank you to all involved in sorting out the move, have been back online for a few days but only posted today. Was wanting to make my way through the technical issues threads before bothering the mods. Tried to make a picture post a while ago and it didn't (so deleted it) are pics working as far as anyone knows? I attempted to do it via URL.

Belated thank you to all involved in sorting out the move, have been back online for a few days but only posted today. Was wanting to make my way through the technical issues threads before bothering the mods. Tried to make a picture post a while ago and it didn't (so deleted it) are pics working as far as anyone knows? I attempted to do it via URL.

If you mean linking directly to a picture elsewhere, that's certainly possible. If you mean uploading a picture from your computer, that also works, but there seems to be a file-size limit of 2048 kb [2 megabytes].

We're currently reviewing this, but there's no reason it shouldn't be working for you at the moment.

If you mean linking directly to a picture elsewhere, that's certainly possible. If you mean uploading a picture from your computer, that also works, but there seems to be a file-size limit of 2048 kb [2 megabytes].

We're currently reviewing this, but there's no reason it shouldn't be working for you at the moment.

I'd like some feedback with regards to large images loading, if anybody has the time.

Pages one and two of this thread are large-image heavy.

Please scroll down each and tell me how quickly the images load and whether they're comfortable to browse or an absolute pig.

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/the-bibliophilia-thread.63247/

And then report back by telling me what a) device/connection you are using, b) how well/fast it loaded, c) whether you experienced any problems.

We're trying to find a comfortable compromise for the maximum permissible image sizes.

I'd like some feedback with regards to large images loading, if anybody has the time.

Pages one and two of this thread are large-image heavy.

Please scroll down each and tell me how quickly the images load and whether they're comfortable to browse or an absolute pig.

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/the-bibliophilia-thread.63247/

And then report back by telling me what a) device/connection you are using, b) how well/fast it loaded, c) whether you experienced any problems.

We're trying to find a comfortable compromise for the maximum permissible image sizes.
A very slight stutter on the first post as the images loaded, but the images in the later posts were already loaded by the time I scrolled down to them, so that was a seamless experience. Eminently acceptable even to my micro-second boredom threshold. The second page had loaded all the images by the time I scrolled down to them, and that while - with all due respect to my esteemed fellow posters - I may have displayed a tendency to skim over the occasional word on my way down the page...

Using an Asus C302CA chromebook (thus, obviously, Chrome browser) via a Vietnamese broadband connection which scores around 12Mbps according to this site.

Back