• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Forum Functions & Functionality: Technical Problems & Known Issues

(1) Did you get a message specifically stating you were denied access to the forum? Or ... ?

(2) When did these non-access incidents occur? I need to have a timeframe to target in checking whether any IP addresses you used were identical with banned / spammer accounts.

Bans are issued on specific IP addresses or sets of specific IP addresses associated with a (e.g.) spammer. I'm not aware that we have any ability to ban a range of IP addresses.

On the other hand ... Our security transactions are managed by an outboard resource (CloudFlare). I don't know whether CloudFlare imposes any blanket or range-wide blocks based on our ban actions.

Bans are issued on specific IP addresses or sets of specific IP addresses associated with a (e.g.) spammer. I'm not aware that we have any ability to ban a range of IP addresses.

We had the ability to ban ranges on the old board, but I haven't checked whether it exists on this new version.

On the other hand ... Our security transactions are managed by an outboard resource (CloudFlare). I don't know whether CloudFlare imposes any blanket or range-wide blocks based on our ban actions.

I did wonder about this.

A least some other members from mainland China use proxy servers to evade odious government censorship and tracking.

James_H:

You've been recorded as logging in from a variety of IP addresses over the last month. None of the ones you've used in the last month have matched banned accounts.

I suspect whatever blockage you're encountering isn't here at the forum end.

The error message was 'oops! We ran into a problem. Your IP address has been banned.'

It came up when trying to access the site using mobile network data (can't remember the carrier, sorry), and a couple of hotels.

There was no such issue with another hotel WiFi, a cafe and free airport WiFi in Kunming.

We had the ability to ban ranges on the old board, but I haven't checked whether it exists on this new version.

I did wonder about this.

A least some other members from mainland China use proxy servers to evade odious government censorship and tracking.
Common practice in China but I visit infrequently enough that I've never bothered to install a VPN.

I haven't received any email notifications since the early hours of this morning...12.13am is the most recent.

I haven't received any email notifications since the early hours of this morning...12.13am is the most recent.

Were you supposed to be getting any notifications? If so - for what did you have notifications activated?

Were you supposed to be getting any notifications? If so - for what did you have notifications activated?

Notifications for all my watched threads.

I haven't received any since for over 24 hours but the threads have been updated. The last time this happened the board had run out of credit or something?

... I haven't received any since for over 24 hours but the threads have been updated. The last time this happened the board had run out of credit or something?

There's been a wave of outgoing email failures over the last 24 hours or so. All seem to involve authentication failures in transmitting / transferring the email messages. Our lead tech admin has been notified.

Previous outgoing email failures were caused by excessive outgoing email volume for our (originally) no-cost email service tier. That was fixed by contracting for an economy-level email service tier. If we've now overflowed that higher service allotment (50,000?) it's a matter of service load, service capacity, and hence money.

The last incriminating bit of evidence has now been obtained (Thanks, Carlos ... ), and we know what caused the outgoing notifications to get shut off ...

Lordmongrove did it ...

His posting of a story linked to hindustantimes.com triggered the release of notifications, after which the security checkers at our outboard email service flagged the reference to a known spam / mischief point of origin as a potential problem and cut off our service as a precaution.

Our tech lead is in negotiations with our email service provider to see what can be done to resume notifications.

This is shaping up to entail additional security measures (e.g., CAPTCHA) on our email traffic, and it may take some time to get everything settled.

quick question re ignore, may have asked before, can it be applied to a thread (not unfollow)

One issue was the limitation on size of attachments. For those using a mobile with the Android OS, I can thoroughly recommend the app, 'Lit Photo'. It has seamlessly reduced photos by around 90%, without any noticeable loss of quality.

This keeps popping up during writing a post. Don't understand what it means and can't click on anything as the screen freezes and have to reload the forum from scratch. Anyone?

1547706883175418.jpg

This keeps popping up during writing a post. Don't understand what it means and can't click on anything as the screen freezes and have to reload the forum from scratch. Anyone? ...

I have no idea - particularly since it involves a mobile device.

My guess is that something you're doing during the course of composing a post (text entry; key clash; swipe or other gesture) is being interpreted as a command that's invoking a message listing generated by your device / OS.

I have no idea - particularly since it involves a mobile device.

My guess is that something you're doing during the course of composing a post (text entry; key clash; swipe or other gesture) is being interpreted as a command that's invoking a message listing generated by your device / OS.
Thanks - it just happened again!

Noticed that each time, the 'Review selected messages' brings up a different list and they are all dated circa Nov 12-14.

How do you, 'select messages' in the first place - can't find this?

... Noticed that each time, the 'Review selected messages' brings up a different list and they are all dated circa Nov 12-14.
How do you, 'select messages' in the first place - can't find this?

I'm pretty sure it's something your mobile device / app / operating system is somehow triggering, rather than anything the forum software (XenForo) is configured to do.

I don't know of any way to assemble such a set of messages without manually selecting them or running a search.

What are you doing when this mystery list suddenly appears?

Back