• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Forum Functions & Functionality: Technical Problems & Known Issues

Clues, please ... WTF app are you using when you're accessing the forum?

I'll bring this up with other staff to see if anyone knows of anything on our end that might explain it.

It sorta looks as if you could be somehow triggering a search while inputting text, and the list represents the search results.

I'll bring this up with other staff to see if anyone knows of anything on our end that might explain it.

It sorta looks as if you could be somehow triggering a search while inputting text, and the list represents the search results.
There's such a, delicious, Fortean irony here - was an IT manager and resolved so many similarities, :bthumbup:

And...

Right... For no reason whatsoever, in writing this reply, I was suddenly transported to this:

2019117_94541548.jpg
:panda:

You will of course note the date and time as a reassurance I'm not making this up!

...and here we go again...

Screenshot_20190117-100026.png

I'm in desperate need of a coffee...

What's that... "make me one as well while you're at it..." :)

Last edited:
Addendum: most of the issues are surely down to my phone. What about the forum's, 'Review selected messages' though?

Presumably something I inadvertently originated back in November. How...
and can I cancel same!

One issue was the limitation on size of attachments. For those using a mobile with the Android OS, I can thoroughly recommend the app, 'Lit Photo'. It has seamlessly reduced photos by around 90%, without any noticeable loss of quality.

Great tip. Many thanks. Just downloaded.

Last edited:
... What about the forum's, 'Review selected messages' though?

As already stated ... I've never seen, and don't know of, any feature on our side that generates a list of messages like that.

Presumably something I inadvertently originated back in November. How... and can I cancel same!

If it's weirdness on your side (phone / app / browser) I don't know.

I have posted a request for others to check this thread and see if they have any ideas what's going on.

CN:

The messages in the screen shot all date back to mid-November. All three of them were messages in which someone quoted you or you quoted someone else.

On November 14 in the Ghost in My Bedroom thread you deleted 4 of your own posts in a row. They were fragmentary, and in deleting one of them you gave the reason 'Tech prob'.

My new theory is that what you're seeing aren't 'messages' (as in 'posts') here on the forum being served up to you 'fresh'. I think you're seeing past notifications (or downloads triggered by past notifications) you've received, and they're lingering because of whatever went wacky back in mid-November.

Last edited:
Is this a clue?

The 'Review Selected Messages' which appears might be related to the following - taken from a general guide to posting on a forum.

15478019021852.jpg

Duly testing the possibilities, if I select the 'Insert Quotes' option in a posting - which I never do, then this happens...

1547801901838176.jpg

I also now note that if I select the '+Quote' option, this briefly appears at top of the screen, 'Message added to multi-quote'.

Conversely, if I select '-Quote' am briefly notified, 'Message removed from multi-quote'

I would attach a screenshot of same, if it wasn't for the fact that *every* time I try to capture that moment and the screenshot briefly appears, confirming it's been saved, when I go to find the saved image, it's always a blank screen!

Hope this all helps (which I profoundly doubt)...

It does look like it is multi quoting things, are you accidentally catching it, I know on phones it is easy if you have sausage fingers* to catch stuff and think, wtf is this

Not that you have, or maybe you have, I dont know

Well, that was interesting (for a while...between about1000 and 1030 GMT/UTC
Screenshot_2019-01-18-10-09-01.png

Is this a clue? ...

Yes, it's a solid clue now ... I suspect there are two things happening here ...

(1) At some point in the past you (perhaps inadvertently) selected multiple posts for quoting, but never actually did anything with the selections (either inserted or removed them). Somewhere there's a record that they're still 'hanging out there'. This may not have been a single occurrence in the past - it's conceivably something you're inadvertently triggering over and over.

(2) Something you currently do (e.g., a swipe or input) is triggering presentation of the quoted message list as if you've finally decided to do something with these lingering selections.

I've seen such lingering or 'impacted' items in the form of unfinished post text in a thread to which I subsequently returned. I've never seen it happen with multi-quotes, but it makes sense that a similar thing could occur with them.

Log out and eliminate all cookies relating to this forum, in case that's how the spurious hanging selections are recorded.

There's still the very real possibility you're inadvertently triggering these effects owing to imprecision in your mobile device's tracking and mapping of your touch-based command inputs. You're swiping or pecking to enact X, but the device is misreading it as a command to enact Y.

There's still the very real possibility you're inadvertently triggering these effects owing to imprecision in your mobile device's tracking and mapping of your touch-based command inputs. You're swiping or pecking to enact X, but the device is misreading it as a command to enact Y.

I had an issue on my previous phone whereby a page would appear to have loaded, but some off-screen element (an image, perhaps) hadn't yet turned up. I'd be tapping one area of the screen, but the screen would jump as the image reformatted the page and my click would 'land' on a different element.

Hi guys any idea why my emails aren’t showing the content of the watched message? It’s only been the last couple of days.

Hi guys any idea why my emails aren’t showing the content of the watched message? It’s only been the last couple of days.

Inclusion of message content has been discontinued as a precaution against the security gatekeeper triggering that cut off all email notifications some days ago.

The last incriminating bit of evidence has now been obtained (Thanks, Carlos ... ), and we know what caused the outgoing notifications to get shut off ...

Lordmongrove did it ...

His posting of a story linked to hindustantimes.com triggered the release of notifications, after which the security checkers at our outboard email service flagged the reference to a known spam / mischief point of origin as a potential problem and cut off our service as a precaution.

Our tech lead is in negotiations with our email service provider to see what can be done to resume notifications.

This is shaping up to entail additional security measures (e.g., CAPTCHA) on our email traffic, and it may take some time to get everything settled.

Sorry about that, i had no idea.

Sorry about that, i had no idea.

Don't sweat it ... I called you out as the cause merely as good-humored ribbing ...

Similarly, we (the staff) had no idea the embedded citation of hindustantimes.com would trigger a shutdown by our email processing service's security checkers.

Eliminating the quoted text from notifications may be something of an inconvenience to those who rely heavily on email notifications, but it pales by comparison with the inconvenience of shutting down all emails to and from everyone.

For example ... As Murphy would inevitably prescribe, soon after the email outage began the forum logged me (a super-moderator) off and began a mandatory periodic renewal of my security verification credentials - a process that required me to echo back codes sent me via (you guessed it ...) system-generated emails. :doh: :willy:

I'll test that multi quote thingy, someone's told me how to do it in the past but I've forgotten how. I've just tried it now and for some reason my anti virus window popped up and started buffering instead.

I can't seem to find an option to include an avatar (sniffle)

I can't seem to find an option to include an avatar (sniffle)

Try clicking on your D is a green square that serves as an avatar placeholder. Then click on it again in the popups screen that comes up and you should be able to upload one l the third time you click (in your profile).

A general hint.

If you've been looking at the screen for a while and nothing seems to be happening. Click 'What's new' and sometimes the red marker will appear in the 'Alerts' column.

Apropos of nothing, we seem to have made a modest success of the changeover.

Screen Shot 2019-01-23 at 22.21.30.png

The only thing 'down' are registrations, because we now manually vet each application and reject spammers in advance. There hasn't been a single spam post since the re-launch (that I've seen). The 'active users' increase is a particular success as with spammers binned we have 'fewer active members'.

Apropos of nothing, we seem to have made a modest success of the changeover.
apropos of post #343 actually, resultant from i did feel the board had become busier post migrate ...

... so quoted post text has been eliminated from the outgoing notification emails ...

i do miss this feature, and i ll tell you why ... previously on getting a notify a glance at the phone email preview bar (exclusively phone access for a long time by now) would tell me right away whether to visit thread and catch up/pitch in or not bother ... now, i have to preview the email, delete it, open browser and navigate to page via any number of means, only to find its a joker post by some nimrod i couldve lived without ... plus the page visit resets the "new" flag on the thread ready for the next nimrod to come along

sorry, latest word

no wonder the stats are up ...

This, on Fri 25 Jan 2019 ....a strange possession strides the marches, with calamitous candour & command

2019-01-27 06.04.22.png

Well.....I was....but.... now you ask....maybe...not?

We only have that confirmation stage set up for certain users' content.

Oh...rright
<thinks desperately: search fails>

In that case I agree, it must've been either a weather balloon or some trick of the light.
And I was mistaken to have thought that the stones were aligned the way I'd said.
Plus, there's no way I was wearing that costume, with my allergies I'd've been sneezing my head off.

<slowly takes out mobile phone- 'Marty, they could be on to us! We'd better lay low for a couple of days....hello, Marty, are you there, the line just wen__'>

Back