• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Forum Functions & Functionality: Technical Problems & Known Issues

I'll have to check tomorrow, but it definetly says "banned", and I can't access this site.. Every other site is accesssible .I'm assuming it's my workplace blocking me. My comments were regarding a friend who was a supporter of the riot plus a like on someone elses remarks

Last edited:
I'll have to check tomorrow, but it definetly says "banned", and I can't access this site.. Every other site is accesssible .I'm assuming it's my workplace blocking me. My comments were regarding a friend who was a supporter of the riot plus a like on someone elses remarks

It's almost certainly a security issue.

Although it unhelpfully says 'banned', it will mean that your I.P. address has been blocked--likely not specifically yours, but you've been caught in the net designed to stop baddies.

I can assure you it is not down to either your comments or your LIKES.

We will be in touch by message.

I just found a very perculier image right here in these halliwed halls, i was reading a post in the 'childhood memories thread on my phone whilst laying in bed, i shifted positions my phone switched from portrait to landscape, nothing unusual there, what was unusual was that a photo of an old football match appearded at the end of a post that had no relavence to the post or the thread and is only visable when viewed in landscape
This is the view in portrait
View attachment 33873
And this is the image with the hidden photo when viewed in landscape
View attachment 33874
Now im wondering how many other hidden photos there are here
That's McAvennie's avatar/sign off he always put at the bottom of his post (may not do so anymore) and his post followed the one from ben77. So I guess it would be only viewable in landscape.

That's McAvennie's avatar/sign off he always put at the bottom of his post (may not do so anymore) and his post followed the one from ben77. So I guess it would be only viewable in landscape.
Ok ty it was just weird that it only appeared in landscape lol

Just tried to use a unicode emoticon in a post but it didn't make it to the published post. As XenForo supports full unicode I suspect this means that the forum's database tables are using an encoding that doesn't support full unicode, probably MySQL with utf8 - for full unicode support the tables should use utf8mb4. Maybe something to consider when next the forum is upgraded.

Just tried to use a unicode emoticon in a post but it didn't make it to the published post. As XenForo supports full unicode I suspect this means that the forum's database tables are using an encoding that doesn't support full unicode, probably MySQL with utf8 - for full unicode support the tables should use utf8mb4. Maybe something to consider when next the forum is upgraded.
I have literally (and I mean literally) absolutely no idea what you're saying. I can read the words but my brain refuses to acknowledge or comprehend any of it! Maybe now isn't the time for me to retrain as a coder (like I know what a coder is!).

Unicode: universal encoding scheme
Encoding: how the computer knows what character to display, encoding schemes ranging from the old Morse and Baudot to the newer like ASCII (well, it is newer than Baudot!) and UTF-8 all work on the same basic principles
Emoticon: a smiley character like this :)
Unicode emoticon: an emoticon that is actually just a plain text character

My last boss, who is a programmer, didn't know about utf8mb4 so don't feel too alienated. I apologise for this niche technical diversion, it was just something that I noticed and wanted to let our gracious hosts and our moderators know about.

I am a programmer myself, well most days anyway when I am not still pretending to be a graphic designer. It really isn't that hard, not like real work! 90% of programming work can be learned in less than a year, but that long tail 10% can take a lifetime but with seriously diminishing returns (sadly).

Last edited:
Email notifications now seem to be arriving after a significant delay - although there's a chance they may have stopped completely now.

For example, the "OOPArts: Out Of Place Artefacts & Archaeological Erratics" thread has a new post by Mungoman at 11.51pm yesterday, the notification email arrived at 13.50 today. So that took about 14 hours to arrive.

And that's also the last I've received, nothing for a couple of hours which is unusual.

Mine are arriving almost in batches, similarly going an hour or three on between despite subbed threads being active in the meantime. I should probably know what's going on, but I don't.

Mine are arriving almost in batches, similarly going an hour or three on between despite subbed threads being active in the meantime. I should probably know what's going on, but I don't.

Guess what? I received the notif of your response almost instantly FFS. The bloody hamster is playing up again Mildred!

I get these emails saying there's a new comment on the Forum and I think someone has something to say about
COVID-19 / Coronavirus: Disinformation, Fake News & Scams

I get these emails saying there's a new comment on the Forum and I think someone has something to say about

The threads on this forum have always had a tendency to be discursive and meandering - punctuated by digression, flights of fancy, hairpin tangents, videos of yodelling dogs and a whole lot of seriously atrocious puns.

Occasionally someone has to come along with some biscuits and a cattle-prod and corral us all back in the right direction - but, generally speaking, it's what breathes life into the place.

But. We digress.

Last edited:
It may have something to do with the covid travel restrictions - are the emails delivered via flight or land transport?:chuckle:

Generally speaking ... We (the Staff) have no ability to monitor issuances of outgoing emails (e.g., Notifications).

Notifications are automatically generated (with some apparently collated into batches) by the forum software (XenForo). XenForo does not handle the email issuances itself. It forwards the Notifications traffic to an outboard email package or service.

The only clues to outgoing email failures we see are server-side error messages relating to connection and / or handshaking interactions with the outboard email handler. Such error messages tell us there's been a breakdown in some interaction out toward the email handler, but it doesn't identify what sort(s) of messages were affected. Occasionally one of these error messages will cite a target email address associated with the failure, but even then we get no clues as to what sort of message was being sent.

I have literally (and I mean literally) absolutely no idea what you're saying. I can read the words but my brain refuses to acknowledge or comprehend any of it! Maybe now isn't the time for me to retrain as a coder (like I know what a coder is!).

:chuckle: Not just me then.

Moss is ace.
The way he has an almost-afro haircut, but it's parted on one side, nerd-style... nice touch.
p-the-it-crowd-richard-ayoade.jpg

I have just discovered I have apparently had the blameless @Tribble on ignore for.. well who knows how long. :eek: I think that has happened to me before as well. It doesn't look that easy to do by accident although I am normally browsing on a Kindle Fire and can make the odd misclick. Any ideas? Anyone else ever noticed the same thing?

I have just discovered I have apparently had the blameless @Tribble on ignore for.. well who knows how long. :eek: I think that has happened to me before as well. It doesn't look that easy to do by accident although I am normally browsing on a Kindle Fire and can make the odd misclick. Any ideas? Anyone else ever noticed the same thing?

No, I've not inadvertently ignored anyone before.

It takes at least two clicks to ignore someone. The most readily accessible Ignore button is the one that appears in the pop-up palette when you click on the member's name in the left margin of one of his / her posts. The Ignore button appears between the Follow and 'Start Conversation' (send a PM) buttons. My first guess is that you clicked on Tribble's name and inadvertently clicked on the Ignore button.

Who said that?

Yes, I've inadvertently ignored people in the past. I blame my current phone: the screen can lag, and register phantom inputs. Oh, how my OH and I laughed when she texted me about something that was troubling her and I seemed to reply with a yawning sloth gif that I didn't even know my phone possessed...

Anyway, you won't have noticed this, but @Tribble has been way too conspicuous by their absence. Anyone in touch, and know if they are doing ok?

Yes, I've inadvertently ignored people in the past. I blame my current phone: the screen can lag, and register phantom inputs. Oh, how my OH and I laughed when she texted me about something that was troubling her and I seemed to reply with a yawning sloth gif that I didn't even know my phone possessed...

Anyway, you won't have noticed this, but @Tribble has been way too conspicuous by their absence. Anyone in touch, and know if they are doing ok?
Yes, he’s not been on the board since June. He’s fine.

Is there some way of getting a list of any members we have 'ignored'?

Is there some way of getting a list of any members we have 'ignored'?
Click on your user name In the top right hand corner. It brings up details about your account. Towards the bottom at the right hand side is an option “ignoring” click on that and it will show a list of who you are ignoring.

I regularly report my own posts. Fat fingers are my only excuse.

No, I've not inadvertently ignored anyone before.

It takes at least two clicks to ignore someone. The most readily accessible Ignore button is the one that appears in the pop-up palette when you click on the member's name in the left margin of one of his / her posts. The Ignore button appears between the Follow and 'Start Conversation' (send a PM) buttons. My first guess is that you clicked on Tribble's name and inadvertently clicked on the Ignore button.
Yes, I think that must have been what happened. I must watch out for that. :sherlock:

Oh, how my OH and I laughed when she texted me about something that was troubling her and I seemed to reply with a yawning sloth gif that I didn't even know my phone possessed...
Yikes! :sstorm: I bet that sort of thing is pretty common.

Have you perhaps triggered the controls to 'Watch' / 'Follow' this thread? That would explain the notifications.

The ignore button is interesting; it would kind of put you into a parallel forum universe where you see evidence of the other universes, but have blinkered yourself by closing the portal to those other places. It would be a place where others can see you but you can no longer see them! It's far more interesting to watch folks who have used it wander (and wonder) about! :evil:
1612067487968.jpeg

Last edited:
At least there is a notification in the thread that someone on your ignore list has posted on the topic. Some forums are not set up that way, which can lead to a lot of confusion. A simple reply can seem nasty, and appear to be directed at someone it was not, when there is no context. Those forums are usually lame in other ways too. Some are unusable (to me at least) without an ignore capability, since they have a significant number of lunatics.

Back