• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Forum Functions & Functionality: Technical Problems & Known Issues

I thought there was a time limit on editing.
However I thought it was considerably longer than 24 hours.

I thought there was a time limit on editing.
However I thought it was considerably longer than 24 hours.

As far as I know the editing time window has never been longer than 24 hours. There have been times when it was less than 24 hours.

And we've always been at war with Bizarre Magazine.
The past was alterable. The past never had been altered. Forteana was at war with Bizarre. Forteana had always been at war with Bizarre.

Why would "certain individuals" (or anyone for that matter) not have the option to edit their posts?
Those who may have a history of dirty editing (not so much of a problem these days, but passim this was an issue with some: they'd say something inflammatory, etc, and once seen go back and edit, forgetting that we can view the edit history).

I have just edited a post from more than 24 hours ago.
1215pm yesterday.

(Good Stuff Online #8892)

1215pm yesterday.

Nope ... Your edit accreted to the forum just under 24 hours from the time of the post's original accretion.

Nope ... Your edit accreted to the forum just under 24 hours from the time of the post's original accretion.
Ouch - that sounds like it'll make my eyes water.
Why does it state 1215pm then? That was a good 29 hours ago.

My editing is mainly for unbelievably silly spelling mistakes- sometimes many in just one, short sentence.
Can i say me too? but I also have a bad habit of posting half formed thoughts which i have to revise - I think it's more under control these days.

I don't know what or why you're seeing 1215 as a timestamp on your end (presumably you're set to GMT). Given the actual timestamps for the initial posting and the edit my guess is that you saw a timestamp somehow transposed from the North American Eastern time zone. Your edit was entered between 23.5 and 24 hours after the original post was entered into the forum database.

Can i say me too? but I also have a bad habit of posting half formed thoughts which i have to revise - I think it's more under control these days.
I can say that I have some very old posts that I'd love to edit just because I was younger and stupider back then. (Not accusing you of such, just admitting my own faults.)

1215pm yesterday.

I don't know what or why you're seeing 1215 as a timestamp on your end (presumably you're set to GMT). Given the actual timestamps for the initial posting and the edit my guess is that you saw a timestamp somehow transposed from the North American Eastern time zone. Your edit was entered between 23.5 and 24 hours after the original post was entered into the forum database.

I'm set to BST (GMT +1). The time stamps are displaying correctly for the time I posted them. Such as the one I quote above which is time stamped for 4.55pm yesterday and as such is still able to be edited. So in theory, if I check that at 5pm today I should no longer be able to edit it.

I'm set to BST (GMT +1). The time stamps are displaying correctly for the time I posted them. Such as the one I quote above which is time stamped for 4.55pm yesterday and as such is still able to be edited. So in theory, if I check that at 5pm today I should no longer be able to edit it.

You may have your local system clock set to BST, but your forum account (which governs your posts' timestamping) is set to UTC (i.e., Greenwich, unadjusted).

The forum "clock" is correlated with the overall timezones. It doesn't accommodate local variations (e.g., for seasonal DST adjustments).

So either way then I should def not be able to edit that post stamped as 4.55pm after 6pm today?
Or are you suggesting that the ability to edit will expire at 3.55pm instead of 4.55pm?
Cos I know I posted it at 4.55pm yesterday - I was here when I did it!

Cos I know I posted it at 4.55pm yesterday - I was here when I did it!

You effectively (as far as the forum server is concerned) posted it @ 1655 *UTC*, not BST.

Ouch - that sounds like it'll make my eyes water.
I can confirm that the post I quote, 'time stamped' as 5.24pm yesterday is now not editable at 6.18pm today (which is AFAIK 5.18 UTC/GMT)
Which is less than 24 hours ago if the 5.24pm stamp is quoted in UTC/GMT.
So now I'm confused.

(edited to add this comment at 1814 today so still within 24 hours)

Last edited:
I can confirm that the post I quote, 'time stamped' as 5.24pm yesterday is now not editable at 6.18pm today (which is AFAIK 5.18 UTC/GMT)
Which is less than 24 hours ago if the 5.24pm stamp is quoted in UTC/GMT.
So now I'm confused.

The 1818 time you see / saw when you posted this was UTC, not BST - i.e., almost an hour over the editing limit.

The source of your confusion is the way (whatever it is ... ) that your local device / system is displaying the time on your end.

displaying the time on your end.
'on your end'..........fnar fnar.

Anyways. As I'm writing this it is 18.45 on my PC clock so later on I'll check this post and see if it displays the time stamp as 18.45 or not.

I can confirm that my last post here, in which I stated the time as 18.45 on my PC still matches the time that my post is time-stamped at, 6.45pm. Which is/was BST. Not UTC or GMT.

Back