• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Forum Functions & Functionality: Technical Problems & Known Issues

I can see it okay on my PC.
Maybe it's something to do with your settings?
View attachment 60103
I view on an IPad.
I have deleted the cache etc. logged out. Logged back in,yet I still have threads missing.
I will check on my other iPad and my phone to see if it is one device or if it is my account. But it definitely started when the members thread was peeled off on its own.

The threads that are invisible to me on one IPad do not show on a new IPad, or my IPhone. I don’t think the problem is at my end as the two iPads are linked but not the phone.
How bizarre!

The examples you'd given for missing threads all seem to involve updates that had occurred in less than an hour (sometimes only a few minutes) before you found them curiously missing from the latest post listings.

Some forum database updates run with a roughly hourly frequency. However, posting updates are immediately available once the updating user transaction is completed. There's no evidence of server breakdowns or bog-downs that would explain the incidents you've reported.

The only hypothesis that makes sense to me is that there's some sort of delay or update latency occurring in your long-distance connection to the forum server in North America. The most likely cause would be some sort of caching or buffering occurring along the bucket-brigade IP path leading to your (apparently wireless?) end point(s). Even if you had disabled caching on your end devices any buffering or defaulting to earlier content might occur as a result of overload or limitations with (e.g.) your service provider(s).

Most of your connections during October have been from nodes scattered around the UK belonging to a single telecom group, but you've also arrived via nodes operated by three other service providers. This may have something to do with it ...

The examples you'd given for missing threads all seem to involve updates that had occurred in less than an hour (sometimes only a few minutes) before you found them curiously missing from the latest post listings.

Some forum database updates run with a roughly hourly frequency. However, posting updates are immediately available once the updating user transaction is completed. There's no evidence of server breakdowns or bog-downs that would explain the incidents you've reported.

The only hypothesis that makes sense to me is that there's some sort of delay or update latency occurring in your long-distance connection to the forum server in North America. The most likely cause would be some sort of caching or buffering occurring along the bucket-brigade IP path leading to your (apparently wireless?) end point(s). Even if you had disabled caching on your end devices any buffering or defaulting to earlier content might occur as a result of overload or limitations with (e.g.) your service provider(s).

Most of your connections during October have been from nodes scattered around the UK belonging to a single telecom group, but you've also arrived via nodes operated by three other service providers. This may have something to do with it ...
The threads are not there at all. It’s not a case of a delay in the updating of them. They are not there. The majority of my interaction is from home on the same iPad, the other few times will be on my phone when I have WiFi acces, I.e on the train or when sitting in a hospital waiting room.
If you can advise when both the threads were last updated I can take a couple of screen shots to show they are not appearing in my feed.

The threads are not there at all. It’s not a case of a delay in the updating of them. They are not there. The majority of my interaction is from home on the same iPad, the other few times will be on my phone when I have WiFi acces, I.e on the train or when sitting in a hospital waiting room.
If you can advise when both the threads were last updated I can take a couple of screen shots to show they are not appearing in my feed.
I am just going to post in the What Are You Eating thread, see if it shows.

Here ya go. Compare this with what you are seeing.

9533897C-B1DF-4B0B-8592-A68355FA84EF.png

Here ya go. Compare this with what you are seeing. ...
This is what I see ...

Thanks - that demonstrates it's not a simple matter of distance (Gordon also being in the UK)

Tempest63:

Are you following or ignoring anyone / anything? Check your preferences and clear any following / ignoring choices to see if that makes a difference.

If you're using a browser / service that relies upon Bing to update and supply fresh copies of forum content, that might explain it. Bing regularly has trouble accessing sitemap updates. Bing requests are processed, but cryptic error messages come back indicating Bing isn't accepting sitemap data.

The only other realistic interpretation is that something along the connection path or at your (Tempest's) end device(s) is timing out when attempting to load listing data for Chat (which is a huge forum section), and then defaulting to the last archived / cached version. This would resolve itself when the overall forum database update occurs (roughly hourly).

Please forgive if this is covered in an existing thread - I cant find it specifically.

I have a friend who wants to join the forum. Every time she tries she gets a message saying that her email address is banned and to use a different one. But she has never accessed or tried to access the board before.

I have tried to contact the mods a couple of times through the Contact link but have not heard back.

Can the banning of her email address be overridden or does she really need to establish a new email account?

Please forgive if this is covered in an existing thread - I cant find it specifically.

I have a friend who wants to join the forum. Every time she tries she gets a message saying that her email address is banned and to use a different one. But she has never accessed or tried to access the board before.

I have tried to contact the mods a couple of times through the Contact link but have not heard back.

Can the banning of her email address be overridden or does she really need to establish a new email account?

Send me a PM with the details (especially the email account).

I’m not getting email notifications on some threads when I should. I noticed the other day there were replies to threads I’ve watched and used to get emails when new posts were made. But I’d not been emailed.

I’ve just checked and there were two yesterday I should have got. I’ve been getting some like this thread for example. I check my junk folder regularly and there’s nothing there.

This is what I see
Dunno if it has any effect on things or not, and you probably already noticed it, but the time stamps for the identical threads are one hour apart.
'Lookalikes' on Tempest63 account is at 1.51 but the same thread on Gordons is at 2.51.
With both being in the UK then could the updates be being held in a buffer which is not updating because of use of a VPN?

I had an email about Fairies, Pixies and elves at 9.45 tonight by vardoger but when I click I only get yesterday's by mikefule
Has vardoger deleted his? I like this thread.

I had an email about Fairies, Pixies and elves at 9.45 tonight by vardoger but when I click I only get yesterday's by mikefule
Has vardoger deleted his? I like this thread.

Yes.

He accidentally posted in the wrong thread—twice.

Same here. I've looked at several threads and got a '503' message across the top of the screen and nowt else, but tried again a minute later and it's fine.

Yep, it's happening frequently now.
Must be an underlying issue.

Back