• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Forum Style Requests

ralfy

Devoted Cultist
Is there a dark mode besides Retro Glare? I use extensions like Dark Reader, but they can slow down browsing.

Is there a dark mode besides Retro Glare? I use extensions like Dark Reader, but they can slow down browsing.

Retro Glare was the product of speculative clicking, the problem being that the various elements of the page's composition are not helpfully labelled and it was only by trial and error that I discovered which code referred to which part.

Further, I kept on finding that changing one input might look good on one page yet hide elements on another.

In other words, I lack the technical talent to make another, but we may be able to find some preset packages to import--I'll look into it.

Is there a dark mode besides Retro Glare? I use extensions like Dark Reader, but they can slow down browsing

No, there's no dark mode Style option installed at the present time.

Can you specify what differences you see between Dark Reader and using Retro Glare? In other words - how close is Retro Glare to whatever you'd like to see?

They seem quite similar to me, but this may be a result of platform specific issues that don't translate to your setup.

Personally find things much easier to read on 'Retro Glare' than black - several of the works pages I administer have gone to 'the dark side' and I find it gives me eye strain

No, there's no dark mode Style option installed at the present time.

Can you specify what differences you see between Dark Reader and using Retro Glare? In other words - how close is Retro Glare to whatever you'd like to see?

They seem quite similar to me, but this may be a result of platform specific issues that don't translate to your setup.

I think the background for Retro Glare is black and the fonts very bright. When I use it or Xenbase with Dark Reader, though, the fonts become less bright.

Dark Reader with Xenbase:

darkreader.png

Dark Reader with Retro Glare:

darkreaderwithretro.png

Retro Glare:

retroglare.png

I've made a few modifications to Retro Glare, but I can't yet seem to tone down the bright white primary text colour.

What I have done is:
  • 'squared' the avatar container to display the full images.
  • Widened the profile box to the left of every post we make.
  • Enabled the user information beneath each avatar.
  • Changed the main background to a more 'matte' and less 'gloss' black.
Edit: have now changed the white text to grey--better or worse?
Edit 2: can't make external hyperlinks appear in a different shade--might not be a tweakable option without code.

Back