• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Found: The Plane Wreck That Could Solve A 50-Year-Old Mystery

Just a thought but did the military ever try to recover the plane?

Debris was found in the estimated area of last radio contact the following day. That was sufficient to demonstrate he'd crashed into the sea, and I suspect this conclusion was sufficient to proceed quickly to 'case closed'.

Meyer was not consistently visible on radar once he'd left the immediate area of his take-off. He was deliberately flying low to evade radar, nobody knew where he was headed, and the weather was relatively 'heavy' that night (making radar tracking more difficult).

I'm not sure at what point during the fatal flight they identified him as a renegade maintenance crew member. It became obvious when he patched through a phone call to his wife back in the States using his onboard radio link. The wife would later relate that a third party voice came on the line to ask her to keep Meyer talking as long as possible so they could determine his location.

http://www.sammcgowan.com/meyers.html
I believe this report was linked above. Tells a very different story. MPs tried to stop him from taking off, so his situation was known from 5:00 am. He disappeared from radar for 20 minutes, shortly after takeoff, then was tracked by "southern radar" until 6:55. According to the Air Force.

There is a lot of detail about Meyer's issues, and his actions the night before his misadventure. It still amazes me he managed to get in the air.

Back