• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

France - Graveyard - Dancing (18th Century Convulsionists)

chockfullahate

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
i'm not sure if i have asked this before, but anyways,

years ago i read some kind of fortean book, and there was a story about a graveyard in france, which every so often had people dancing and attacking eachother with iron pincers and such oddness, and was circa 1700s maybe?and that is all i can remember.

i'd liek to read more on this, but i know it's all very vague.

anyone have a clue?

Dancing in a Graveyard?

Michael Jackson's "Thriller"?

\no help here, sorry

People should dance more often in graveyards. They are depressing places. I mean what fun do dead people have with everyone moping and crying?
At least in Mexico they are appreciated for the life they had.
:D :laughing: :laughing: :_pished: :hello:

The Convulsionists of Saint Médard?
Link is dead. No archived version found.

Last edited by a moderator:
'e knows everythin', 'e does. Everythin'.

Convulsionists
Convulsionists a term applied to persons who were the subjects of fits, of which they were said to be cured by visiting the tomb of the abbe Paris, a celebrated zealot among the Jansenists. The name was afterwards given, in France, to those whose fanaticism or imposture caused them to work themselves up into the strongest agitations or convulsions, during which they received wonderful revelations, and abandoned themselves to the most extravagant antics that were ever exhibited. They threw themselves into the most violent contortions of body, rolled about on the ground, imitated birds and beasts; and, when they had completely exhausted themselves, went off in a swoon. Pinault, an advocate, who belonged to the Convulsionists, maintained that God had sent him a peculiar kind of fits to humble his pride.

SOURCE: https://www.biblicalcyclopedia.com/C/convulsionists.html

Melangists (or Convulsionists)
Melangists (Or Convulsionists)

is the name of a degenerate sect of Jansenists (q.v.). It originated in 1727, upon the decease of Francois de Paris. He had been noted for his piety and asceticism, and, now that he had left his earthly abode, multitudes flocked to his grave, and there, in various ways, testified their superstitious regard and veneration. Marvellous cures were claimed to be wrought there, and miracles were said to be performed. Strong religious emotions were manifested, and some were seized with convulsions. Some were endowed with the spirit of prophecy, and predicted the overthrow of Church and State. Many of the fanatics themselves claimed that their miraculous doings were divinely inspired, while others ascribed them to evil influences. Those who considered these curious works inspired by evil influences were called "Discernents," while the believers received the name of Melangists, because they supposed themselves partly actively, partly passively inspired. 'The superstition and fanaticism which prevailed at Francois's grave soon after his death were not wholly confined to the common people, but were shared by a considerable number of men of rank and learning. These religious excesses, however, tended to create a general prejudice against Jansenism, and really ruined the cause-at least in France; or, as Voltaire aptly remarks, "The grave of St. Francois of Paris became the grave of Jansenism."

SOURCE: https://www.biblicalcyclopedia.com/M/melangists-(or-convulsionists).html

Back