• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Frank Zappa & His Work

I'm not a die-hard fan of Frank, but I'm guess I'm one of those weird people who do appreciate both aspects of his music. I'm not claiming to have heard all of his stuff or even most of it. Definitely not a fan of most avant garde music, but Frank and the Mothers made it fun. Everyone else took themselves too seriously.

Maybe even more than his music, I admire him for his kind of take no prisoners attitude. Critics panned his first album, so he composed a classical album just to prove he had the talent. (is a story i heard a long time ago). I get the feeling his sarcasm stemmed from that. He was the Minister of Culture for Czechoslovakia, he fought tooth and nail agianst Tipper Gore and her censorship campaign, his musical recording archives are HUGE and incredibly diverse.

Plus, I just love the absurd, and his lyrics are certainly that! But also so clever and biting.

I have visited the memorial to Frank Zappa in Vilnius, Lithuania.

6240019267_a28f3f0844_b.jpg

Photo borrowed from this article:
https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/frank-zappa-memorial

As to the appearance of his image on a door-knob, the point is that he had an image with the hair, beard and moustache he is identifiable in silhouette, which most people are not.

I'm not a die hard Zappa fanatic, but he's made some of my favourite albums.

A few years ago I used to listen to Joe's Garage on rotation, it's an absolute genius album (and I don't use that term lightly). A double album I can actually get through and positively enjoy.

The music is great on it's own and it would work as an instrumental album, but the lyrics, the story, it's simply wonderful. Funny, sad, surreal, it's great.

It would make the best musical ever, and I absolutely hate musicals.

Also, a song about Frank's face in a doorknob would likely be up his street.

Last edited:
Is he some kind of folk legend in Eastern Europe, or what? And if so, why, exactly?
I think he was very popular during the Iron Curtain years. Some of the countries in the Eastern block was very liberal with Western pop music.

I think he was very popular during the Iron Curtain years. Some of the countries in the Eastern block was very liberal with Western pop music.

When I lived in Sweden I was surprised by the large proportion of serious music fans who were 'into' Zappa's work. They seemed to be concentrated in the Nordic region and central / eastern Europe (still part of the Soviet bloc at the time). It was never clear to me which aspect of Zappa made him so relatively popular there - the intricate experimental music, the comedy / satire, or Frank the uncompromising iconoclast.

Seeing this tomoz.

You'll enjoy it, it's really good! Not so much about the music, or you don't hear much anyway, more about the man and his antics. Directed by Bill S. Preston Esq! Bruce Brickford was looking soooo old, though (RIP).

The main thing I know Moon Unit from is being the celebrity crush of Spud in the book Trainspotting. Can't recall if she is mentioned in the film. Oh, and I think she's the infamous "Valley Girl" too.
Dont forget his other kids, Diva and Ahmet, Moons kid has a weird name, Mathilda Plum Doucette, as does Ahmets daughter, Halo Violetta Zappa and Dweezils, Ceylon Indira Zappa, must run in the family.

I hate to say this, but I don't 'get' Zappa. Never did.
I can't think of one track that I remembered.

Dunno about Frank Zappa - to me it looks more like an amoeba.

I hate to say this
Don't let it get you down too much, This is a film exposing Frank's day-to-day in 1971. I think it might help you and others who struggle to jive with his very alternative approach to living on earth and his artistic bent.

Never let it be said that Zappa discovered violin virtuouso Jean-Luc Ponty. This is badass jazz. There's a Brecker or two in here somewhere as well. [edit; Bruce Fowler] Sweet progjazz in Zappa's inimitable style. If you like this, try on The Purple Lagoon circa '77. Proper clout.

The early stuff is good, Hot Rats is great, and Roxy and Elsewhere is brilliant in parts, but the later stuff gets boring.
Zappa was like Prince - they both made music by the shedload, and it wasn't all good.

Back