• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fraud Frau: Wife Fabricated Husband Dementia Status & Stole $600K

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Here's a mind-blowing example of toxic matrimony. The wife convinced the husband he had Alzheimer's Disease, obtained power of attorney over his affairs, and ripped him off for two decades.
Wife convinced husband he had Alzheimer's so she could steal $600,000 from him, police say

A wife was arrested for defrauding her own husband of hundreds of thousands of dollars by convincing him that he had Alzheimer's Disease. ...

Donna Marino, 63, is accused of forging her husband's signature on legal documents, pension checks, monetary settlements, and social security checks.

In all, police said Donna defrauded him of $600,000 over the course of 20 years. ...

Police said they first received a complaint from the husband in March 2020.

He told investigators that Donna controlled all of his finances and that she had been stealing from him as far back as 1999.

Investigators said she forged her husband's signature on his pension checks, social security checks, workers' compensation settlements and other legal documents before depositing the funds in a secret bank account.

The husband said he was unaware it was happening until it was brought to his attention in March 2019. ...

Police said Donna also used her power of attorney status to fraudulently file taxes in her husband's name. ...

She told investigators that she managed to keep her activities from her husband by convincing him that he had Alzheimer's Disease. ...

Marino turned herself in to police headquarters on Oct. 27.

She was charged with first-degree larceny and third-degree forgery.
FULL STORY: https://www.wfsb.com/news/wife-conv...cle_ccca096c-380e-11ec-9221-079801b246cd.html

Yes I agree. I wonder how she got found out?
According to the news story the husband's daughter from a prior marriage became suspicious when she discovered her father had a poor credit rating and a tax lien on his house.

Back