• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I’ve had “O2” chasing me for days now to give me 30% off my bill. I’ve blocked the number multiple times, for them to just call on a different number. I’ve had calls from Blackburn, Bournemouth, Leeds, Bolton and various mobile numbers. I’ve hung up on most but decided to hear the guy out today. A very thick Indian accent that I could barely understand offered me 30% off my bill for the next 6 months if I gave him a code. I would get two texts, the first to confirm it was O2, the second with the code. I just then needed to give him the code and he could set up the discount.

I had to ask him why both texts that came through said “O2 will NEVER ask you for a code, so please don’t share with anyone”? He tried to blag me, so I just called him a scammer and hung up. So far I haven’t had any more calls. Fingers crossed.

My dad would have fell hook line and sinker for something like this.

How they are managing to spoof O2s messaging system I don‘t know, as the texts themselves were coming from a genuine O2 number that I have used many times for 2FA.
Simple. There is software available to bad guys that will show any sending number you want, not the number you are actually sending from. Many scammers confuse the mark by appearing to call from the recipient's own number. Although I think if I saw that on incoming I would definitely know it was a scam.

Simple. There is software available to bad guys that will show any sending number you want, not the number you are actually sending from. Many scammers confuse the mark by appearing to call from the recipient's own number. Although I think if I saw that on incoming I would definitely know it was a scam.
Yes - they often use your local STD code so you think it's a local call. I now never answer any call on the land line or mobile where the number is unrecognized.

Yes - they often use your local STD code so you think it's a local call. I now never answer any call on the land line or mobile where the number is unrecognized.
This is my ploy too, unless I am expecting, eg, the doctor's surgery to call me back I simply don't answer an unknown number. If it's important they will call back or leave a voice message, and most people know to text me rather than ring, because I can't answer my phone at work.

The scammers are using AI now!

The Washington Post reports that scammers are using high-quality AI-generated voice technology to impersonate loved ones and persuade victims that they are in distress and need money urgently.

One example in the article is about the parents of a man named Benjamin Perkin, who were victims of an AI voice scam. A criminal pretended to be a lawyer and told them that their son had been involved in a car accident that killed a U.S. diplomat. The scammer used voice cloning technology to create a fake conversation between the parents and a synthesized version of their son. The scammer then convinced the parents to send $21,000 via a Bitcoin ATM to cover legal fees for their son.

From the Post:
Perkin's parents later told him the call seemed unusual, but they couldn't shake the feeling they'd really talked to their son.
The voice sounded "close enough for my parents to truly believe they did speak with me," he said. In their state of panic, they rushed to several banks to get cash and sent the lawyer the money through a bitcoin terminal.
When the real Perkin called his parents that night for a casual check-in, they were confused.
It's unclear where the scammers got his voice, although Perkin has posted YouTube videos talking about his snowmobiling hobby. The family has filed a police report with Canada's federal authorities, Perkin said, but that hasn't brought the cash back.
"The money's gone," he said. "There's no insurance. There's no getting it back. It's gone."

https://boingboing.net/2023/03/06/h...ning-to-trick-victims-into-sending-money.html

The scammers are using AI now!

The Washington Post reports that scammers are using high-quality AI-generated voice technology to impersonate loved ones and persuade victims that they are in distress and need money urgently.

One example in the article is about the parents of a man named Benjamin Perkin, who were victims of an AI voice scam. A criminal pretended to be a lawyer and told them that their son had been involved in a car accident that killed a U.S. diplomat. The scammer used voice cloning technology to create a fake conversation between the parents and a synthesized version of their son. The scammer then convinced the parents to send $21,000 via a Bitcoin ATM to cover legal fees for their son.

From the Post:

https://boingboing.net/2023/03/06/h...ning-to-trick-victims-into-sending-money.html
That's scary, especially how the parents were suspicious about whether the voice had been their son's. They still paid up.
Bitcoin, though - lawyers don't take that.

Vid at link.

'Pig butchering': Former romance scammer reveals tactics​

In recent years, people around the world have lost hundreds of millions of dollars to online romance scams.

One of the most lucrative of these, being run by criminal gangs across South East Asia, is called the “pig butchering romance scam”.

The scammers refer to their victims as pigs, whom they fatten up to be "butchered" - or conned, out of as much money as possible.

A BBC World Service investigation has spoken to former insiders, who reveal the brutal conditions facing many of those working as scammers and the sophisticated techniques that are used.

Watch the full documentary on the BBC iPlayer, and read our previous coverage on the issue here.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-asia-64884036

That's scary, especially how the parents were suspicious about whether the voice had been their son's. They still paid up.
Bitcoin, though - lawyers don't take that.
They would have to be able to get a voice sample first though. In this case they think it came from a YouTube clip of their son talking about snowboarding. Which implies quite a high level of research...

Vid at link.

'Pig butchering': Former romance scammer reveals tactics​

In recent years, people around the world have lost hundreds of millions of dollars to online romance scams.

One of the most lucrative of these, being run by criminal gangs across South East Asia, is called the “pig butchering romance scam”.

The scammers refer to their victims as pigs, whom they fatten up to be "butchered" - or conned, out of as much money as possible.

A BBC World Service investigation has spoken to former insiders, who reveal the brutal conditions facing many of those working as scammers and the sophisticated techniques that are used.

Watch the full documentary on the BBC iPlayer, and read our previous coverage on the issue here.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-asia-64884036
People trafficking is a huge worldwide issue. This story is horrendous. I had thought that the phone scammers et al were in it knowingly, not victims of scams themselves.

When the French army left Rome it was accompanied by a ‘gift’ from Alexander VI consisting of no fewer than nineteen mules laden with boxes of jewels, gold plate and rich tapestries. (It had cost Alexander VI just six similarly laden mules to buy the papacy.) The French insisted that this mule-train should be accompanied by the pope’s son, Cesare Borgia, who would join their campaign as a show of goodwill (and as a hostage). But the French were no match for the guile and treachery of the Borgia family. Within two days Cesare Borgia had eluded his captors, taking with him no less than half the train of mules. The boxes carried by the other mules were found to be empty.

Death in Florence: The Medici, Savonarola, and the Battle for the Soul of a Renaissance City
Paul Strathern
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show...e?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=a9hjiKq5Vc&rank=1

The problem with this approach is that any NHS related call comes up as "unrecognised number" on our landline and mobile, bit of abugger if you are waiting for results or an appointment

The problem with this approach is that any NHS related call comes up as "unrecognised number" on our landline and mobile, bit of abugger if you are waiting for results or an appointment
If you're waiting for a call though, surely you just answer it? If it's not the caller you expect, you can always just hang up.

Ah that's strange it doesn't happen on our phones.

Had an odd occurrence today when i logged into the dog food website ( he's spoilt and I love him, get over it). Normally log in comes up as my email and saved password, however this time two email addresses came up, both with saved passwords linked to them. Did not recognise the second one at all, total gibberish.

Didn't risk it so will have to call the company tomorrow. Can't have him going hungry.

I have repeatedly told people off for flipping open their wallet in front of me (to search for cards, usually, to pay) and letting me see their national insurance number, the photo of their kids, information on their health and, often in the case of older customers, all their PINs.

If I were so inclined, I could use quite a lot of the information I see (it doesn't take long for me to memorise a number, and they often have their date of birth on some piece of paper with other personal information tucked in the front of their wallet) and use it to nefarious ends.
Yup, and driving licences display the holder's address. Techy mentioned this recently and I argued with him but yup, it's true.
The reason I'd forgotten is that I stopped carrying it with me for that very reason.

Yup, and driving licences display the holder's address. Techy mentioned this recently and I argued with him but yup, it's true.
The reason I'd forgotten is that I stopped carrying it with me for that very reason.
I agree - it's much better to carry as little id with you as possible, especially if your address is on it. The only id I get asked to present is when I have to pick up a parcel from Royal Mail sorting office.

What I find laughable is that the 3-digit CVC on the back of the card was brought in to prove that you actually held your bank debit card in your hand. Some banks (including Virgin Money) actually print the name, long number, expiry date ... and CVC on the same side, leaving the other side for the bank's logo. :hahazebs:

What I find laughable is that the 3-digit CVC on the back of the card was brought in to prove that you actually held your bank debit card in your hand. Some banks (including Virgin Money) actually print the name, long number, expiry date ... and CVC on the same side, leaving the other side for the bank's logo. :hahazebs:
That's ridiculous. A quick furtive snap with a camera phone and someone has all your numbers!

Yup.
That's banks for you. Not good at joined up thinking.
F'r instance, the head honchos want all banking to be done online, so the can close banks to save on the expense ... but a different rule insists that some transactions can only be carried out face-to-face with staff, in a branch!
Due to recent developments, I'm being informed of many such instances of stupidity.

Yup.
That's banks for you. Not good at joined up thinking.
F'r instance, the head honchos want all banking to be done online, so the can close banks to save on the expense ... but a different rule insists that some transactions can only be carried out face-to-face with staff, in a branch!
Due to recent developments, I'm being informed of many such instances of stupidity.
Indeed. There are some issues that can only be sorted out in person.
Maybe the banks don't want to sort out those issues?
If so, why are we using banks at all?

I think it's more that the top echelons haven't experience in the application of the banks T&C's. They look at 'the big picture' instead of actual ways things work.
Even in it's employment terms, there's so much that is counter-intuitive.
To phone teams, there's a bonus available for consistent good punctuality. If your break is from 11:00 to 11:15 then you must log off at 11:00 then log back on at 11:15. Sensible if you want to discourage taking a longer break than you're given. However, if you get a tricky customer and you only log off at 11:10 then it counts against your punctuality! You must still log on at 11:15. If the customer takes you past your break time, you are allowed to take your break late ... but, again, this counts against your punctuality. This appears to me to explain those times you call customer services and they suddenly say "let me pass you to ..." as they might be thinking "I've only got 2 minutes until my break - someone else can talk to this guy!"
While it encourages punctuality, it also encourages a less-than-helpful attitude in your call handlers.

A bizarre conman who mobilises mobs to physically attack those who expose his chicanery.

When Chinese tycoon and notable dissident Guo Wengui was charged with masterminding a $1bn fraud, it was only the latest chapter in the saga of a man with connections to powerful people in China, the US and the UK.

In early June 2020, at the tail end of the city's first Covid lockdown, a fleet of small planes baffled New Yorkers. They circled overhead towing banners that read: "Congratulations to the New Federal State of China" and flew an unfamiliar-looking blue flag.

Was it a prank? A stunt? Weird propaganda?

The mystery was solved a few days later when Chinese billionaire Guo Wengui and former White House chief strategist Stephen Bannon appeared live online. Together on a boat near the Statue of Liberty, with the same blue flag in the background, they awkwardly took turns speaking to the camera.

"We must eliminate Marxism-Leninism, the pariah and totalitarian regime of the Chinese Communist Party," Mr Guo declared. It was the latest collaboration between the two men, who built large networks of online followers based on their shared obsessions: opposition to China's rulers, fealty to the Trump wing of the Republican Party, and conspiracy theories about Covid and vaccines.

According to prosecutors, however, Mr Guo used his connections and online influence to defraud his supporters.

Thousands of Chinese dissidents - most living abroad - sent money, thinking they were buying shares in his businesses and cryptocurrency.
But instead of being invested, authorities say, the money was used by Mr Guo and a London-based business partner, Kin Ming Je, to fund extravagant purchases - including expensive properties, a yacht, sports cars, risky hedge fund investments, $1 million worth of rugs and a $140,000 piano.

The BBC spoke to several followers who say they gave thousands of dollars to Mr Guo's organisations.

"I watched his livestreams every day," said Coco, a Chinese immigrant who has been living in the US for a decade. We are not using her full name because she fears retribution from Mr Guo's followers.

Coco says she invested $6,000. One of her friends apparently gave more than $100,000 in order to become a "chair" - a member of Mr Guo's inner circle.

Prosecutors said victims were promised huge returns on their investments. Despite the vast sums of money pumped into Mr Guo's companies and foundations, he declared bankruptcy last year, claiming less than $100,000 to his name. ...

At the extreme end, some of his followers rallied outside the homes of Mr Guo's enemies. Most of those enemies were themselves dissidents, who had somehow crossed the tycoon, prompting him to accuse them of being Chinese spies.

Although he has denied encouraging violence, Mr Guo launched what he called a "punishing the traitors" campaign. Several of those targeted allegedly received death threats. At least one was beaten by Mr Guo's followers.

Teng Biao, a dissident who fled China and is a visiting professor at the University of Chicago, was one of the people targeted in the "traitors" campaign. He said that he began writing about Mr Guo in 2017, believing that the businessman was discrediting the work of Chinese dissidents. Mr Guo sued Mr Teng for defamation, but the case was dismissed. That did not stop the attacks.

For two months starting in late 2021, up to 30 activists rallied every day outside of his house in New Jersey, Mr Teng told the BBC.

"They were standing in front of my house and holding banners and signs calling me a [Chinese Communist Party] spy and they kept filming my house, livestreaming, and cursing me and my children and my family," Mr Teng said. "His followers sent me death threats." ...

But Mr Guo's network came crashing down last week when US authorities charged him with orchestrating a billion-dollar fraud. According to the indictment, 5,500 investors sunk a total of $452m into GTV, which Mr Guo claimed was worth $2bn. In reality, it is alleged, it was a new business and had no revenue. ...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65019134

A Florida principal resigned after sending $100,000 of school money to someone posing as Elon Musk.

Jan McGee said she believed Musk would invest millions in her school if she sent $100,000 upfront.

She'd talked with the scammer for at least 4 months despite being warned by school staff, per WESH.

A charter school principal in Florida has resigned after sending a $100,000 check of the school's money to a scammer posing as Elon Musk.

Jan McGee was the principal of Burns Science and Technology Charter School in Oak Hill, Florida, since the school opened in 2011. At a school board meeting on Tuesday where she resigned, McGee said she believed the tech billionaire would invest millions of dollars in the school in exchange for $100,000 upfront, according to a local news station, WESH.

"I put myself into this position and into this mess and I made a bad decision," McGee said, per WESH. "I am a very smart lady. Well-educated. I fell for a scam."

Although other school staff warned her the person was a scammer, McGee had talked with the person for at least four months, according to WESH. The school's business manager ultimately stopped the check before it cleared.

McGee apologized at the meeting, but several school administrators said that she contributed to creating a toxic work environment. Administrators said that they would rather quit than keep working for her, prompting McGee to resign, per WESH

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/prin...CJMY7qbLC6TC6ossS1AcAZ51AvVuVIfQumSee-fWEuZ77

Last edited:
"I put myself into this position and into this mess and I made a bad decision," McGee said, per WESH. "I am a very smart lady. Well-educated. I fell for a scam."

Although other school staff warned her the person was a scammer, McGee had talked with the person for at least four months, according to WESH. The school's business manager ultimately stopped the check before it cleared.
Often it is people who think they would never fall for a scam, and who are well educated who are those who do.

Never doubt that you would never fall for a scam. You always have to be on the look out.

Possibly it was her own view of herself that made her ignore everyone else who told her it was a scam. She talked to this scammer for four months. He knew he had her.

Requiring money up front for more money should always be a red flag.

This is actually quite funny - and one might claim that the victims deserved to lose their vote :)

A pro-Trump Twitter troll who spread disinformation about how to vote in the 2016 election has been found guilty on Friday of Conspiracy Against Rights in federal court, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of New York. And the verdict is already being denounced by prominent right-wing media figures.

Douglass Mackey, a 33-year-old who went by the name Ricky Vaughn on Twitter, distributed images on social media in the months leading up to the 2016 presidential election that encouraged people to vote by text. It’s not possible to vote by text in the U.S., but at least 4,900 people tried to do just that.

“Avoid the Line. Vote from Home. Text ‘Hillary’ to 59925,” one of Mackey’s tweets read, according to the U.S. Department of Justice.

Mackey, who lives in West Palm Beach, Florida, was an incredibly popular figure on Twitter in the lead up to the 2016 presidential election between Republican Donald Trump and Democrat Hillary Clinton, with roughly 58,000 followers.

Mackey faces up to 10 years in prison.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-edny/p...s-mackey-convicted-election-interference-2016

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattno...rmation-about-voting-in-2016/?sh=31045c476ad7

1680299562413.png

In the bank during the week I wanted to transfer some money to son's account. I handed over a piece of paper with his bank details on it. I was then asked where the details had come from. Was it by phone call or text or the internet or elsewhere. No - he handed the details to me in person. They were clearly aware of the "Hi dad favourite child here etc" scam. I was then asked whether I had been told that my money was not safe in their bank or there had been criminal activity on the account. Nope. I was then given a leaflet on scams.

Now I know I look like a doddery old git but I suppose It's good that they are at least paying attention to the welfare of doddery old gits wandering about in their bank, chucking their money away. I was impressed.

Indeed. There are some issues that can only be sorted out in person.
Maybe the banks don't want to sort out those issues?
If so, why are we using banks at all?
I used to work for an American publisher who paid by cheque. So every month I would be posted (!) a cheque (!) drawn on an American only (!) bank (I have no idea why they hadn't discovered direct bank transfer...) which I had to physically take to the bank to pay into my account. And the tiny local bank which still remains (and is a 15 mile drive away) didn't know how to process American cheques, so I had to drive to the Big Bank in the city (a thirty five mile, expensive parking and all-day trip away) in order to put one lousy little cheque, which was usually only for about forty dollars, into my account.

I took to saving them up and paying in a batch at a time once every six months - and they would question me about this Every. Single. Time.

In the bank during the week I wanted to transfer some money to son's account. I handed over a piece of paper with his bank details on it. I was then asked where the details had come from. Was it by phone call or text or the internet or elsewhere. No - he handed the details to me in person. They were clearly aware of the "Hi dad favourite child here etc" scam. I was then asked whether I had been told that my money was not safe in their bank or there had been criminal activity on the account. Nope. I was then given a leaflet on scams.

Now I know I look like a doddery old git but I suppose It's good that they are at least paying attention to the welfare of doddery old gits wandering about in their bank, chucking their money away. I was impressed.
Yes, it's a bit of a pain, but it does show that they are doing due diligence to defend our money.
I had the same thing when I went into the bank to pay off my mortgage - they asked for ID, asked me a bunch of questions. I just explained that I was paying off my mortgage.
Same occurred when I had to go to a bank to transfer money for buying my car. The old-fashioned way of doing it would be to ask the bank to write out a banker's draft, but they really discourage that now.

I wouldn't consider that they questioned you because of your age. These scams are getting craftier and millions, if not billions, of dollars are being stolen every year.

It is about time that banks actually started to look after their customers. Sometimes the bank loses out if a complaint is made that they should have done their due diligence and they have to refund some of the lost funds.

I wouldn't consider that they questioned you because of your age. These scams are getting craftier and millions, if not billions, of dollars are being stolen every year.

It is about time that banks actually started to look after their customers. Sometimes the bank loses out if a complaint is made that they should have done their due diligence and they have to refund some of the lost funds.
No I'm sure it wasn't solely because of my age, but older people seem more vulnerable to scams in general, although every one is a potential target. Banks can only do so much to protect the extremely naive greedy and vulnerable judging by the number of reported cases where banks have repeatedly advised customers they were being scammed but people still insisted of handing money over to the scammers.

I have very simple guides on this subject. If you are asked for money by an unknown source say no. If you are asked for personal details other than say in person at your bank, say no. If you are asked for a mobile number or email address where it isn't warranted say no.

I have very simple guides on this subject. If you are asked for money by an unknown source say no. If you are asked for personal details other than say in person at your bank, say no. If you are asked for a mobile number or email address where it isn't warranted say no.
The problem with this is that people being spammed DO think they know the source. Either someone impersonating someone they know or by the spammer building up a rapport with them first (as in dating scams). So they often don't think they are being scammed, they are just helping out a friend who finds themselves in dire straits.

Back