• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Freakishly Small Dog

surely it could be a model? It would be difficult to check, encased in that snowdome.

Maybe a stillborn pup with its paws altered to adult proportions? Or a completely different mammal with its skin stretched over a dog shape?

This brings back a memory of something i was told about that appeared on antiques roadshow,my friend saw a program in which it was brought in,there where newspaper cuttings from when it was alive,as it was a bit of a celebrity,,,apparently.Tiny dog abot 4 inches in length that lived for quite a few years.Anybody else see it??

I'm going with Marion on this, a miscarried pup that's been preserved. I saw a miscarried preserved elephant foetus on TV once, looked like a rubber toy elephant ...

According to Dog Record Breakers:

"The smallest dog on record was a matchbox-sized Yorkshire terrier owned by Arthur Marples of Blackburn, England. This tiny creature, which died in 1945 at the age of nearly two years, stood 2 ½ inches tall at the shoulder and measured 3 ½ inches from the tip of it’s nose to the base of its tail. It weighed only four ounces."

(Thats about the size of a pet mouse!)

On the other hand, the Guiness book of Records have just declared the worlds smallest dog ever to be a long-haired Chihuahua measuring 7 inches long (The size of a smallish pet rat.)

The EBAY sellers photo isn't very clear, but it looks rather too furry and well formed to be a stillborn pup. I wonder if it isn't simply a model, especially as the seller seems pretty clueless about it? When I was young I used to have a little stillborn pup in a jar of formaldehyde (looking back, that seems a ridiculous thing for a 7 year old to have in his bedroom - but my mum worked at a vets) I remember it as being very "embryo" looking with tiny limbs.

I have seen a "stuffed dog" not much bigger than that size, in one of those fantastic obscure museums that you get in small tourist towns which are full of random curiosities and badly stuffed animals - this one, I think, was somewhere in Somerset or North Devon, on a family holiday when I must have been about 15...

As i remember it was a pointer-type hunting dog (floppy ears, mostly white with brown blotches), looking pretty much exactly the same proportions as an adult dog of one of those breeds, but about the size of a hamster or half-grown rat - probably about 10cm high and 15cm long. The dog was in a bell-shaped glass case a bit like the one pictured near the entrance of the museum and had some info about the dog's life, saying it was born prematurely and never grew, but was healthy and lived to a normal doggy age until it was killed by a rat. I think it was supposedly owned by some aristocratic family, so it was probably pedigree and therefore in all likelihood suffering from the same sort of inbreeding as aristocratic human families themselves ;)

I seem to recall it also said in the museum sign that this was the second smallest recorded dog, and there had been a Yorkshire terrier who was even smaller - probably the one in Graylien's post. This one seemed more remarkable though, because its parents were "normal" sized dogs...

It was very hard to tell if the specimen was real or fake - it certainly didn't look like an "obvious" taxidermic fake, and was better preserved than a lot of the very badly stuffed "normal" animals in that museum. I think I asked the woman at the ticket desk if it was real or fake, and she didn't know either...

There was also a thread recently on cryptozoology.com about a mummified cat of similar adult proportions but extreme miniaturisation. I will try to dig up a link to that thread...

I did find this though...a page dedicated to a seriously, seriously small dog. Just look at the picture of it next to a can of Coke...

I can remember seeing a tiny, stuffed dog in a pub once. I think it was in Orford. It was described as a 'muff' dog (no rude remarks, please, you 'orrible lot! ;) ), ie a dog kept in a lady's muff (hand warmer!!) to keep her hands warm.

It was tiny, about 4" high, a creamy-beige colour and was like a small Pomeranian, but not so fluffy.

I had a good look at it and it was either genuine or a very good fake . . .

Carole

Think your post's got a missing link Raya... ;)

Anyway, i found the tiny cat mummy... for some reason i can't get the URL of the individual thread (their forum is structured a bit differently to a vbulletin one) but you will find it if you go to http://www.cryptozoology.com/forum/topi ... tree_4.php and scroll down to "Found tiny adult feline mummy"...

It looks pretty real, though the Victorians were clever taxidermists and had a wierd sense of humour. Mini dioramas were very popular during the period, in either box frames or under domes or in glass cases. I've seen tiny houses, shops, gardens, even replicas of famous views. A yard scene with a dog and kennel ect. isn't outside the bounds of likelyhood.

There was, and still might be, if anyone wants to go and have a look, a very tiny stuffed dog in St. Ives Museum, in Cornwall.

I have heard of Muff Dogs, an extinct chinese breed, used for keeping hands warm in...yes, you have guessed it.

No means more remarkable than some of the other strangley functioned dog breeds...

My friend breeds Yorkies. She says they are very difficult to breed, can only have a few pups at a time, and are not very bright.

Sounds like they should be stepped upon, not bred from.

(this is no way a denigration of small pooches, I have met many examples as healthy and smart as a big doggy...)

wonkydog said:
There was, and still might be, if anyone wants to go and have a look, a very tiny stuffed dog in St. Ives Museum, in Cornwall.
I think that might have been the one i saw... see my first post in this thread, does the description sound right?

Goldstein said:
I think that might have been the one i saw... see my first post in this thread, does the description sound right?

Sounds like it, but my memory is very hazy. Only online reference I've been able to dig up is this mention, from knowhere.co.uk :

"Talking about Tiny the wonder dog! I remember him as "Timmy" and saw him perform at a kids party in......1974? Is it the same dog??How on earth did it end up in the museum? "

"I can't believe there hasn't been a mention of Tiny the Wonder Dog, remarkable stuffed resident of the Museum in St Ives. (My sister and I are South African, and were alerted to Tiny's existence by other global travellers. We made a special visit just to see him.) You can't miss it!"

(http://www.knowhere.co.uk/3291_heroes.html)

I'll definitely go and have another look next time I'm down that way.

Back