• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Free Haunted House Up For Grabs

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Sceptics would be forgiven for thinking that there's more than meets the eye to this story. After all, nothing is ever 'free' .. is this some sort of IRS tax dodge or are the owners giving this house away for free because it's haunted and they can't afford later costs by simply abandoning it? .. from last May and if the offer still stands? .. here's your free haunted house ..

ahauntedhouse001.jpg

https://www.the-sun.com/news/777476...cebook&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1595789805

Last edited:
Its "free", but you have to move it elsewhere as it doesn't include the land. It's also in disrepair according to the article, so you will have to fix it up.

Reminds me of a house near me that the city couldn't sell for $1, because historic preservation laws meant it had to be fixed up, and the extensive repairs needed would cost more than buying another house already in good repair, or even brand new.

Looks alright to me, ghost and all. Why not open it up as an attraction and charge people to walk through it (naturally with a gift shop as you exit)?
The whole point is they don't want it on their land anymore I suspect they want to build something else there but there must be some reason they can't just demolish it. If you accept it you have to move it from its current location, that's why no one has taken it on.

The whole point is they don't want it on their land anymore I suspect they want to build something else there but there must be some reason they can't just demolish it. If you accept it you have to move it from its current location, that's why no one has taken it on.

I read the article. Moving houses must be an expensive proposition there. I've known a number of people, my parents included, who've bought & moved houses intact, some interstate (and we're talking big distances) for no more than $10k.

I read the article. Moving houses must be an expensive proposition there. I've known a number of people, my parents included, who've bought & moved houses intact, some interstate (and we're talking big distances) for no more than $10k.
Yeah I must admit as a Brit it seems very alien to move a house. I've seen it on TV (house on the back of a trailer) and what have you but the only time I've ever come across it personally in real life was a light house moved back from a cliff edge.

Depends on the materials the house is made from. Old wattle and daub buildings can be dismantled and rebuilt because they are based on a timber frame. Heritage museums do this when they collect buildings for posterity.

Derelict Elizabethan houses used to be taken down and sold to rich Americans to be re-assembled. This nearly happened to Churche's Mansion in Cheshire.
( I can remember lots of very old buildings in that area being left to rot and fall down, which seemed a terrible neglect. Selling them to foreigners was better than that.)

Churche's Mansion was eventually saved and renovated. It is reputedly full of ghosts and was visited by Most Haunted some years ago.

I expect to be riding past it today or tomorrow on my newfangled metal horse and will of course give it (and the ghosts) a wave from you lot.

Looks alright to me, ghost and all. Why not open it up as an attraction and charge people to walk through it (naturally with a gift shop as you exit)?
It's looks like a smaller Amityville house, Dutch colonial in design. I think somewhere like Knotts Berry Farm should claim it and transport it over to use as a haunted house attraction when their theme park puts on Halloween attractions. They could also change the upper story windows to the 'evil eyes' shaped windows originally in the Amityville house. Job done.

edit: I've only just noticed the video link showing the inside of it, it looks in good condition.

Last edited:
So, which is it? Do hauntings exist in the house or are they attached to the land? I've seen ghost hunters claim both ways. :thought:

If you took on the house & wanted the ghost to come too you may have to enter lengthy negotiations with the manifestation, who may prefer to remain on the spot. Could involve sweeteners or rewards for moving - the run of the house instead of one room or the stairs, for example.

Could ramp up yer legal fees. Worth considering.

Have to admit that if my numbers ever come up and I email my list of 'dream house' requirements to estate agents, at the top will be 'haunted'.

Haunted
Seaside location
Gothic facade
Lots of rooms
Tall windows, randomly placed small stained glass windows
Gardens all round
Fruit trees
Cellar with tunnels leading off it
Big outbuildings, various
A turret room upstairs with a telescope balcony
French windows opening onto huge patio
Secret passages
Attic, preferably reached via a narrow semi-concealed stairway
A sweeping staircase with a curved banister to slide down
etc

my list of 'dream house' requirements to estate agents

They would try to sell you The Palace Hotel, Birkdale!

True, it has been demolished and you might need to substitute a haunted lift for the big banister but all its passages are secret and I will sell it to another heiress, if I don't hear from you by Sunday! :pipe:

Oh, you might have to live with a taint of Norman Wisdom in the walls . . . sorry about that. :(

Last edited:
I wish I could recall all the details to the story of a former home of one of my dad's relatives, in rural Minnesota. It goes something like this: Grandma was getting well on into her eighties, a widow living alone on the farm. She had no indoor plumbing. Her children, then in their early sixties, decided she needed to move to town. She said she was doing fine, and was happy where she was, thank you very much. The kids kept at it. She told them to mind their own business. Finally, somehow they obtained legal power to force her to move. They bought a nice house in the nearby town and moved her in, fuming and cursing. Then they sold the farm.

The buyer of the farm didn't want the old house, so they gave it away to be moved, and built a new one. The new owner of the house bought a vacant lot in the nearby town, and moved the house onto it. Just around the corner from the displaced Grandma. Her house followed her to town, where she could see it from her new place. That really pissed her off.

Yeah I must admit as a Brit it seems very alien to move a house. I've seen it on TV (house on the back of a trailer) and what have you but the only time I've ever come across it personally in real life was a light house moved back from a cliff edge.

In New Zealand, it's quite common to see a house like that stuck on the back of a lorry and moved from one place to another.

I have no idea if this is real, but I have seen videos of things like stone churches and lighthouses being moved. This was posted in the comments on another site, with no information.

Holy housemoving, Batman!.jpg

I wanna know how they manage it, are the bases not secured into the ground?

Back