Free Open University Courses

Ringo

Of no preferred gender pronoun.
I tried one once and it was way too hard for me (too much calculus) and I gave up, but your mileage may vary.
Similar story here. I started an Open University Electronics course last week (Intermediate Level 2) because I have always wanted to understand more.

After spending some hours following their examples and calculating resistance over networks and learning about Ohms Law and Kirchhoffs First and Second Laws, I was asked to solve equations on my own. That's where I fell to pieces. I can't remember anything from my school days. I have no idea how to balance or simplify or rearrange equations.

When I peeked at the first part of the answer to get a hint, it would invariably say something patronising like, "Of course now the equation can be expressed like this blah blah blah which means now we can simply do this blah blah blah". At which point I would furrow my brow and make another cup of tea.

I will persist with it but I think I have to refresh my maths skills first.

Recycled1

Justified & Ancient
I'm still using Duolingo on myphone to try to learn a bit of Italian, even though it seems highly unlikely that the August wedding can go ahead. I'm also using the BBC Italian course with its CDs borrowed from the local library -it's virtually mine now, anyway!

Struggling to learn something does pass a good hour or so every evening. I still suspect I will eventually sound like the French speaking English policeman on 'Allo 'Allo.:)

Ringo

Of no preferred gender pronoun.
To help me with the free course I mentioned previously, I did 2 solid hours of algebraic equations yesterday. As I said, I did a lot of this in school but never could get the hang of it. I realised yesterday that the problem was my maths teacher. She never used the correct terms to describe things so I was confused all the time. The vids I used yesterday made everything so obviously clear and easy.

I was multiplying binomials, diving binomials by monomials, expanding trinomial multiplications to 9 terms before simplifying, expressing them differently and all sorts. It was a wonderful afternoon of revelatory discoveries and today I know more than I did yesterday. I love learning.

Anyone wanting to have a go, and it's fun (honestly!) this is the vid I used. I smiled so many times when I understood the simple concepts and could actually use them. It's 30 mins:
It starts off simple and builds you up. After this vid I searched for others and started doing more exercises for fun.

For examplel this 30 min vid:

In total 2 hours later and I was feeling much more confident about returning to my electronics equations.

Last edited:

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
To help me with the free course I mentioned previously, I did 2 solid hours of algebraic equations yesterday. As I said, I did a lot of this in school but never could get the hang of it. I realised yesterday that the problem was my maths teacher. She never used the correct terms to describes things so I was confused all the time. The vids I used yesterday made everything so obviously clear and easy.

I was multiplying binomials, diving binomials by monomials, expanding trinomial multiplications to 9 terms before simplifying, expressing them differently and all sorts. It was a wonderful afternoon of revelatory discoveries and today I know more than I did yesterday. I love learning.

Anyone wanting to have a go, and it's fun (honestly!) this is the vid I used. I smiled so many times when I understood the simple concepts and could actually use them. It's 30 mins:
It starts off simple and builds you up. After this vid I searched for others and started doing more exercises for fun.

For examplel this 30 min vid:

In total 2 hours later and I was feeling much more confident about returning to my electronics equations.
Teachers can make a huge difference. At school I could never figure algebra and trigonometry out, then we got a new teacher who, unlike the other teachers, had worked in the real world as an engineer. So instead of just giving us equations, he would actually show us real-world examples of they could be used. That made a huge difference.