• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I just viewed coaly's video, you're right it does seem like they have a more natural gait in reverse.

BUT

do they look more like stiltwalkers now? or are we thinking marionettes?

i, for one, have no idea but they still give me the serious willies!

and no one like a serious willy.

Finally the Feds have worked out Coaly was NOT going to blow the whole puppet show:Roswell, Kennedy, Rendlesham, the Fresno Stick Alien, with her backwards footage and Photo Bucket have released it!

It does look more human going backwards. That said...

I drew strings on a still image from the footage to show where it might be "puppetted" from. Two blue strings for each leg and a green one for the head. How you'd managed to do it over that distance must have involved some post work as you say Coaly.

puppets.jpg

I grabbed more still images.

stickalein5shot.jpg

Image 1 and 2 are more like puppets.

Image 1 has a very straight leg, the edge of that straight leg looks a little artificial no?

Image 2 taken just after it emerges from the foreground tree before the footage goes low resolution. Is that a matt box around it we can see, does the resolution look the same as the surrounding footage? Shitty internet connection here?

Image 4 and 5 look more like stilt puppets?

Image 5 is the smaller one just before it disappears, looks human? Reminds me of that photo of a supposed small being passing behind two mounted cops in a park somewhere.

I love this kinda Forteana, it can only be hoax and the solution can only be someone going to a bit of effort (puppets and post effects) to dupe folks.

Why you wanted to do that in today's media internet saturated environment is pointless. It's already yesterday's dismissed Fortean news....

8 out of weird 10

If you look closely (And good work by the way Mooksta!)... the legs onthese characters appear to have no stiff joints, be they knees or ankles, but they walk like string with pebbles on the end. When the 'foot' contacts the ground, the leg hinges forwards, (a bit like a drunk flamingo!)... which leads me off the stilt walking theory (Good theory though that it is.)
Shown in reverse,there's no real significant difference, which means that 1. It could be in reverse, 2. They aren't anthropological, and 3,they are animated by ways of rods or wires. (Imagine it a bit like those puppets with puppeteers dressed in black, moving the legs with their hands etc.).
Here's the drawing I did.
puppets1.jpg

It does appear to look more natural inreverse.

This time tomorrow the UFO forums will be alive with everyone raving "look, they were caught on video going back in the opposite direction too" :lol:

I'd guess at the marionette theory over the leg sticks, there's something about the way the upper part carries itself that suggests suspension.

The manipulating rods would have to be attached up from the foot to allow it to swing Coaly but I see what you mean. How would you turn the little ones head?

Also...at 0.37 in the original latest footage, the large one actually seems to balance on one foot and moves exactly like a stilt walker.

That's the issue with the hoax IMO, it starts like a puppet but ends up looking like a stilt walker.

I know this has been covered else where but I can't find the thread. Saw the Fact or Faked show featuring this for the first time this morning and was wondering what the latest thinking on it was. I always thought it was an interesting case but finding information on it using Google just provides me with a ton of copycat fakes and silliness. Any one got the goods on this one?

I'm going to post this here simply because it reminded me so much of the Fresno Stick Alien.

HIGHLAND COUNTY PRESS

12/19/2014 4:59:00 AM
Strange creature reported in Carmel area

Information by Ron McGloneMutual UFO Network MUFON-Ohio

A resident of the Carmel community has reported seeing a strange creature along Carmel Road on Friday, Dec. 12.

Ron McGlone, an investigator with Mutual UFO Network (MUFON), said "The witness was driving near Carmel on Dec. 12, 2014, came up over a hill and saw a 7' tall slim, gray creature with muscular legs that walked like its knees were backwards.

"The 60-year-old former Marine (who allegedly saw the creature) also said it didn't seem to have arms. He also included a sketch made shortly after he arrived home.

"I would like to get this information out in your area in hopes that maybe someone else has seen it – or that their giant cross-bred ostrich got loose – or something!"

"We recently bought a place in the Fort Hill area (in southeast Highland County). We first noticed after about 30 days of living here that we suddenly have a perfect circle that stays fresh green, no matter what weather, in our front yard. On Friday night (the 12th), we were driving home. After turning on Carmel Road, which leads to our road, we went around the curve by the Carmel church and then up a small incline and approximately 10 feet over the incline and in front of our truck, the 'alien' ran across the road and into the woods.

"My husband saw it. He is a skeptic – almost 60 years old – and a proud Marine. He wouldn't have admitted to seeing it if he hadn't been in shock. I had him draw it for me when we got to the house. He says it was asphalt gray (our asphalt is gray) and about 7 feet tall, no arms that he could see, but muscular in the legs area; no jawline, and its legs were bent backward and it leaned forward as it ran."

The italics are mine as these parts of the report reminded me of the Fresno footage. The sketch at the source kind of looks like the Fresno Alien.

The original Fresno Stick Alien footage is HERE.

I seem to recall the "experts" on Sy Fy's Fact or Faked attempted to recreate the footage and failed. I'm sure someone here has an explanation for it.

Seems the Fresno Stick Alien is still out there. On March 28th a retired Fresno couple were suffering attempted break ins so they turned their security cameras on the drive and recorded this footage.

Looks like the same thing with a cute baby one in tow.

I only recently saw the clips online and they do look very odd! Then I saw a spoof of the footage, or rather a silly human tacked-on ending of someone dancing around in giant trousers hoiked up to their shoulders, and thought "why not?" It could be a rather simple explanation, and our perception of the size of the 'crawlers' is off, or has been forced into thinking them smaller? Skip to 1.13 for the daft (but interesting) bit!

I'm having a lazy day off, surfing the Web and found myself headed down the rabbit hole of mysterious creatures and their sightings.
This has led me to the discovery of what people have labelled 'Crawlers', seemingly a North American phenomenon.

I'm aware of Wendingos, the creations of the Rake and Slenderman (all of which have something in common with Crawlers in their characteristics), even the wacky Fresno Nightcrawlers from some years ago, yet until today, I'd never heard of such crypto creatures.

Upon further searching, there are YouTube videos full of them, websites recording their sightings and even a Reddit SubReddit dedicated to them, which describes them thusly:

''Crawler is a commonly-seen cryptid with pale skin, long-limbs, and a tall, thin body. They are generally seen around 8 feet tall if standing. There are stories of this creature all throughout America, and it has even inspired modern culture such as Until Dawn's Wendigo, the Rake, and Slenderman.''

https://www.reddit.com/r/CrawlerSightings/

A video of Crawler sightiings (some footage being from movies, some very obviously bogus, but you get the picture of what's trying to be portrayed):

Has anyone have a tale to tell?

A week ago I went to a local "cryptid-themed" event and one of the most popular creatures featured was the Fresno Nightcrawler. I was a bit surprised. Why does this creature rank so high in pop cryptid popularity. Anyway you look at the canonical idea of a "cryptid" in terms of cryptozoology, this creature does not fit the definition. The idea that it was associated with native lore was a (typical) post hoc association. Why did this creature catch on?

Who'd ever have thought that putting a face on walking pants would have become so popular!
Screen Shot 2021-10-17 at 8.52.52 PM.png

Captain Disillusion has his take on the Fresno Nightcrawlers.

He makes the excellent point that the video is so bad because multiple generations of video and different formats have caused degradation.

I'm most interested in why this creature became so incredibly popular as an icon, and why cryptids, in general, turned into cute, cuddly, LGBQT mascots. This is not the cryptozoology of old white men! It's the wacky and magical universe of Millenials!
Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 7.22.00 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 7.22.59 PM.png

Back