• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Friday The 13th

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Less than three hours left, and nobody has posted anything about Friday the 13th superstitions! Are we becoming less superstitious?

Anyway, theories on the reason for this?

My favourite is that the attack by the King of France on the Templars (which effectively destroyed the order) took place on this date.

A young boy drowned at Camp Crystal Lake because the caretakers were busy having sex and not watching the children.
This event sent the boys mother insane and she spent some time when the camp reopened hacking up the new guardians usually while they were getting it on. Although she sometimes let them finish.
The boy himself would later return from the dead, rather bizarrely as a fully grown man.....his name?

Jason Vorhess......

I reckon this belongs in ULs/Folklore. MODs!!!!!!!:blah:

Or maybe in Religion, as I believe the number 13 being unlucky has in roots in xtianity, as Judas, the betrayer, was the 13th disciple.

rynner said:
Less than three hours left, and nobody has posted anything about Friday the 13th superstitions! Are we becoming less superstitious?

Plus, it's my 30th birthday today and not one of you felt it necessary to buy me a simple strip-o-gram.

Really, people, where's the love?

Now excuse me while crawl in a fetal position and sob uncontrollably.

Happy birthday! no.. don't crawl into a foetal posision like that - darn

Re: Re: Friday the 13th

Ogopogo said:
Plus, it's my 30th birthday today and not one of you felt it necessary to buy me a simple strip-o-gram.

Really, people, where's the love?

Now excuse me while crawl in a fetal position and sob uncontrollably.

I was 24 on the 12th.

Okay, just for Ogo and River_Styx, I will strip.

Music?

Hmmm...."So Alive" by Love and Rockets?

You will just have to imagine it, however. But Happy Birthday to you both...

P.S. Ogo, sorry about the do-it-yourself nature of your present, but I was too cheap to pay for someone to come to your door.

:blah:

Fallen Angel said:

Music?

No, no......"Trash" by Korn....

Okay, River, "Trash" it is. Since it's all in your head, make it as trashy as you want to. Just don't PM me with the gory details, k?:devil:

Fallen Angel said:
Or maybe in Religion, as I believe the number 13 being unlucky has in roots in xtianity, as Judas, the betrayer, was the 13th disciple.

The superstition predates Christianity, though. One legend tells of a gathering of 12 Norse gods at which Loki, the Norse trickster, showed up uninvited, raising the number to 13. Balder, the sun god, was killed soon after. Not clear as to whether this was a possible origin of the superstition, or an example of the phenomenon in action....

Nonny

Ah, TY Nonny. I know many xtian holidays and legends have their roots in much earlier beliefs, but was not aware of that one.

Fallen Angel said:

Music?

Thanks, doll. Here's my tip. Imagine it's as generous as you want. :D

Imagine it's as generous as you want.

Wow, thanks, Ogo. Now I can buy everyone a round at James Whiteheads...as I appear to have been tipped 500...

...shekels?! :confused: I got a 500 shekel tip?!

Anyone know the current exchange rate for shekels...

According to this article, Friday the 13th is actually a fortuitous date for Jews. (It also mentions the Balder/Loki thing.)

Nonny

I find that interesting, I'm goofing with Ogo, and he gives me a tip in shekels, which I was imagining is some sort of ancient currency no longer in use in the world.

Nonny posts a link about friday 13th being lucky for jews, and the light bulb goes on over my head...google a bit...voila (or oy vey) - the shekel is the currency of israel.

Nonny, did you do that on porpoise?

Talk about synchronicity

Fallen Angel said:

I was always told that it was because there were 13 at the Last Supper (females didn't count, of course....)

Fallen Angel said:
Nonny, did you do that on porpoise?

No, the last time I tried to post while riding a porpoise my keyboard got all waterlogged.

Nonny

Now that I think about it, I first read of the Templar connection with Friday the 13th in FT itself, in an article about Roslyn Chapel, near Edinburgh. This is supposed to be one place reached by some escaping Templars.

(A fleet of Templar ships sailed from La Rochelle, allegedly with much Templar treasure, but there is no record of where they actually went - America has also been suggested.)

More on Fridays, 13s, here.

Also,
And then, there was The Thirteen Club, founded in Glasgow, Scotland in 1891. Most of the activities would break all the rules of superstition.

and is there not nowadays often an extra place layed for the cat or whatever when there are thirteen at a dinner?

and is the thing about american hotel's having a floor 12b as opposed to 13 a UL, or is it true?

Faggus said:
and is the thing about american hotel's having a floor 12b as opposed to 13 a UL, or is it true?

I've been in several hotels where the elevator floors go from 12 to 14.

Originally posted by Faggus
[BAnd is the thing about american hotel's having a floor 12b as opposed to 13 a UL, or is it true?

The practice is spreading here too. Some of the newer housing estates in this area have no number 13.:rolleyes:

Friday 13th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So who's superstitious about this date?
Not me.

(Holds hand behind back to furtively cross fingers.)

Joking aside, the son of a beloved former tutor of mine lost his son on this very day/date some years ago in a RTA. That's surely the worst possible bad luck for anyone to have. I am thinking of him and his family today.

Anyone of a spiritual persuasion might like to do the same- send some healing vibes his way please? His name is Brydon.

First unlucky thing of the day.

I live in student halls, and normally breakfast is until 9:45am. Today I woke up at 8:30, lay around in bed like a student is supposed to until 9, then got ready to go and have breakfast.

Then my mum phoned up to ask me something, and I said "Well, I've got to go or I'll mis breakfast!" in order to get out of speaking to her for much longer - I was hungry!

But guess what, today is the last day of term, and to celebrate the fact, they decided to make breakfast end at 9:15am. No warnings, nothing. Of course, everyone else had already eaten.

Looks like everyone is too positive and festive for it to have had any effect this year... still 7 hours to go though :)

Back