• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

From EVP To The Ghost Box

ForteanHerald143

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
EVP or electronic voice phenomena was discovered in the late 1950s and has become well known today thanks to numerous TV shows featuring ghost investigators using audio recorders to capture the voices of ghosts and spirits.

More ghost hunters are embracing the two-way communication device called a ghost box (aka the Frank’s Box). Following on the heels of the Spiricom, one of the first known, two-way communication devices used to bridge the gap between the earth realm and the spirit realm, the Frank’s Box was the first device that allowed ghost investigators to speak to the dead.

Frank’s Box is a ghost box that produces random voltage to create raw, random or linear sweeping audio from an AM or FM tuner that is then amplified and sometimes fed into an echo chamber before being recorded.

Ghost boxes, such as Frank’s box, create audio bits and white noise that ghosts and/or spirits can then use to bring forth words – real time two-way communication.

Frank Sumption was the original inventor of the ghost box.

He conceived of the idea by first experimenting with Stefan Bion’s EVPMaker software for EVP recording while also being inspired by an October 1995 Popular Electronics magazine article that asked, “Are the dead trying to communicate with us through electronic means? Try these experiments and see for yourself.”

Today, most ghost boxes do not sweep the band randomly, but prefer linear sweeping of the AM or FM bands.

That is not to say other bands, such as shortwave, weather, etc are not being experimented with by Frank and other Instrumental Transcommunication experimenters.

Others since have developed their own ghost boxes, such as Paranormal System’s “MiniBox,” Joe Cioppi’s “Joe’s Box” and the “PSB7 Spirit Box.”

*Source : angelsghosts website on Google

*Title : EVP Evolves into the Discovery of the “Ghost Box” 1995

Spirit boxes has improved in the last years. They no longer sounds like they're picking up random sounds from radio stations, but plays live EVPs like it's directly from "the other side".
Cue in the Geoboxes and the Portal Wonder Box.

Steve Huff who made the Wonder Box is pretty controversial, just saying.

I'm not sure what that video is evidence of. Anyone with a modicum of savvy can record some audio then dub some questions & vacuous statements in, drenching the recordings in echo & reverb. I'm not hearing any interaction with the spirits there.

My mind is unblown.

Last edited:
I am just reading of Hans Otto Koenig and the Radio Luxembourg radio broadcast. At first reading the evidence sounds impressive with technicians claiming the they could not explain where clear recorded voice came from.

There appears to be little information i can gather from the internet and wonder if anyone knows any other sources of information on this?

This link gives more info about it, but different points of view on it are what I'm looking for: https://atransc.org/hans-otto-konig-experiment/

This is also a quote from RationalWiki: "In 1983 a guy named Hans-Otto Koenig showed up at Radio Luxembourg studios with a weird lashup of audio oscillators, ultraviolet lamps and blinking Christmas bulbs claiming he could use it to communicate with dead people. The station immediately put him on the air to demonstrate it, supposedly later releasing sworn statements from engineers testifying that, yes gosh darn it, paranormal stuff really happened. (No one seems to be able to locate those statements though. Maybe spirits misfiled them?) " . So is this just something else that turns to dust on closer inspection or is there more to it.

There are some pretty impressive EVPs out there. I am not sure what to make of them. Many are likely fakes but (as Stanton Friedman said about UFOs), all it takes is one.

I am less impressed with spirit boxes. I just can't figure out the mechanism by which a spirit would manipulate such a device.

There are some pretty impressive EVPs out there. I am not sure what to make of them. Many are likely fakes but (as Stanton Friedman said about UFOs), all it takes is one.

I don't know anything about EVP so this is an observation rather than a comment - when I first heard about EVP as an adolesence, researchers were using recording kit like a TEAC 12 track reel to reel with a battery powered mike that costed the equivalent of thousands of pounds. It was all very exciting. The next generation of 'investigators' were putting a C60 tape into a portable player/recorder and turning the internal mic volume up to 11. They were getting more interesting results, but the credibility became stretched (like the tapes).

Several years back, I bought a digital recorder but the operation of it was so cryptic, I never really felt comfortable using it. I did try it once, placing it in the office cubicle of a co-worker who unexpectedly passed away. However, my departed colleague must have had no desire to haunt his former place of business. I ended up giving the recorder to my sister who promptly lost it so, overall, a total bust. :)

I am less impressed with spirit boxes. I just can't figure out the mechanism by which a spirit would manipulate such a device.

Can you point us to some impressive EVPs? Spirit boxes are just picking up snippets of random radio stations & as such are worthless.

I recall discussing EVPs with an audio engineer. He convinced me that you can find glitchy stuff on any kind of recording from any mechanism. Even a computer microphone will pick up stuff from the internal workings that, when amplified or manipulated enough, will sound mysterious to an imaginative person. So, even screening from errant radio waves is not going to work as a control. It just never made any sense to me anyway; too many alternative explanations. Today's ghost hunters have basically no controls and attribute bodily noises, forgotten whispers, and fabric swooshes and zippers to "spirit voices". And that is often their best evidence! Ghosts these days are pretty weak, if you ask me.

Can you point us to some impressive EVPs? Spirit boxes are just picking up snippets of random radio stations & as such are worthless.
A quick Google search will yield results to keep you busy for hours. However, some that I have heard are from friends who have done ghost hunting. They are not my property and not available online. I trust that these people have not manipulated the recordings in any way. The speech is clear and does not sound like anything you would pick up at random, if it were some type of bleed-over from TV, radio, or another broadcast source.

As usual, these EVPs are cryptic, but somewhat in context. Still, I can't rule out that there is some prosaic, electronic explanation. If that is the case, you would think that EVPs could be picked up anywhere at any time. And you would think that someone would have picked up an EVP about some huge blow-out sale on mattresses.

I offer no explanation for any of this, but I think there is sufficient evidence to warrant actual scientific study.

A quick Google search will yield results to keep you busy for hours. However, some that I have heard are from friends who have done ghost hunting. They are not my property and not available online. I trust that these people have not manipulated the recordings in any way. The speech is clear and does not sound like anything you would pick up at random, if it were some type of bleed-over from TV, radio, or another broadcast source.

As usual, these EVPs are cryptic, but somewhat in context. Still, I can't rule out that there is some prosaic, electronic explanation. If that is the case, you would think that EVPs could be picked up anywhere at any time. And you would think that someone would have picked up an EVP about some huge blow-out sale on mattresses.

I offer no explanation for any of this, but I think there is sufficient evidence to warrant actual scientific study.

I can't be arsed to scour the internet for hours. Personally I don't believe in it as a concept & none of the examples I have come across convince me it's anything other than aural pareidolia or dubious recordings.

I'm prepared however to listen to recommended ones & as you said there are some pretty impressive EVPs out there I thought you might be able to link to them, but it seems those aren't online.

"Impressive EVPs" doesn't mean anything if we have no provenance that can be relied upon. The oft-used "We got this amazing EVP" is not enough as they are rather easily hoaxed or unrecognized inadvertent errors due to lack of controls.

Back