• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

From 'Ginger' to SEGWAY

A

Anonymous

What's happened to 'GINGER'?

The invention had the code name "GINGER," and was developed by 49 year-old scientist Dean Kamen, who said back in January of this year that GINGER was going to change the world.

GINGER had apparently attracted interest and investment money from Silicon Valley entrepreneurs and venture capitalists.

Steve Jobs, one of the original inventors of the home computer, made this cryptic comment about GINGER: "If enough people see the machine, you won’t have to convince them to build cities around it. It’ll just happen."

Steve Kemper, calls Kamen a combination of Henry Ford and Thomas Edison. He says GINGER "will sweep over the world and change lives, cities and ways of thinking."

Computer technologist Jeff Bezos says that GINGER is "a product so revolutionary, you’ll have no problem selling it. The question is, are people going to be allowed to use it?"

It was made to sound like some kind of incredible new energy or transportation device.

Here’s what we do know about it:

Ginger is not a piece of medical technology, so it’s not a cure for cancer.

In a private meetings with Steve Jobs and other computer experts, the inventor assembled two GINGERS in 10 minutes, using only a screwdriver, some cardboard boxes, and parts that fit into a couple of duffel bags.

GINGER has a sense of humour, because when it was turned on, it made everyone laugh.

There may be two models of GINGER and the cheaper one may cost less than $2,000.

GINGER will profoundly affect the environment in a positive way. It will change the way people live, especially in cities.

It will be widely marketed to consumers. Cities and businesses will have to be retrofitted in order to adapt to this newcomer.

So, what has happened to this wonderful new device? Could it have disappeared under the weight of its own hype? Was this a sales gimmick promoting another 'must have' piece of techno-junk?

THE BOGGART

I suppose that if it isn't medical technology then it isn't the 'balancing' 2 wheeled, stair climbing wheelchair he has developed... That's all I could think of.

In a similar vein, maybe it's a personal transport device...

who knows

Bye

Martin

I have seen suggestions that the invention is a motorised unicycle, with stabilisation like the wheelchair. This would meet the "Are people going to be allowed to use it?" criteria. It would also manage to make people laugh when people first clap eyes on it.

I guess the interesting question is "why has it all gone very quiet?"

Here's Ginger

Left the Spice Girls and now making a success of going it alone.

Moggadon:hmph:

Seems very odd that we would know about something and not even have a clue as to what it is...

...my guess is that it's not real, or that it's some kind of tenchogeek in-joke somewhere along the line. Though if I was hazarding another guess, I'd say Demon Seed-esque supercomputer.

Well, it would seem weird to build cities around unicycles.

What's happened to Ginger?

He went off in a huff after Biggles married Algy. ;)

I would like to believe it was going to be some kind of transport based on anti-gravity technologies. It got hyped big-time because someone published a book about it a few months back. It was all PR about that. Now that has died down it is just a matter of waiting the next year or so until it arrives on the market.

Breakfast said:
. It got hyped big-time because someone published a book about it a few months back. It was all PR about that.

Good point! Anyone know what has happene to this book. (I remember nothing other than that there was going to be one...)

ive a link to a forum discussing ginger and what it could be although they have said it isnt a scooter i'll find the link and post it in here
cas

I believe it's due to be unveiled in 2002, so we shouldn't have long to wait.

I have always thought that the best way to get around debunkers of stuff like free-energy or anti-gravity is to make 20,000 units as toys and then sell them. Don't bother with the papers in New Scientist. Just go out and prove it.

On the other hand, I don't think we're gonna see any major technological leap here... It's going to be a revolutionary product rather than anything else.

I also find a new type of scooter hard to believe. Surely it'd be no more revolutionary than the C5, Snake-board, those winged skateboards (if they flew, maybe), the Zike, or the folding scooter. We like big transport... small is bad...

The fact 2 were demonstrated may suggest that two are needed to show the full functionality.

Communication technology? Personal console where you can interface in some new way? Holographic videophone?

Or maybe it's been motted, as sometimes in business, cos someone else has brought out something oddly similar...

I have always thought that the best way to get around debunkers of stuff like free-energy or anti-gravity is to make 20,000 units as toys and then sell them. Don't bother with the papers in New Scientist. Just go out and prove it.

There's a 60's/70's (I think 60's) SF story where this happens with an anti gravity device. The device isn't very efficient, but it is powerful enough to make a toy which, to the eye of a passing physicist, is doing 'impossible' things. As ever, I have no idea of title, author, or anything else remotely helpful in tracking it down. Dont you just hate it when that happens!

wintermute said:
There's a 60's/70's (I think 60's) SF story where this happens with an anti gravity device. The device isn't very efficient, but it is powerful enough to make a toy which, to the eye of a passing physicist, is doing 'impossible' things

That'll be the story where the 'anti-grav' effect appears to be powered by magnets - or a lightweight thread? - until someone actually checks the various weights/forces involved?

Erm... yes, I've read it, but buggadifino who wrote it.....

Glad to advance human knowledge by this single, small step.....

try here sorry it took soo long for the link i lost the post lol

ginger

enjoy but they dont know what it is either lol
cas

It'd better be a floating skateboard. I was promised those for 2000. And shiny silver suits. And talking robots.

You can't rely on the Jetsons anymore...

Hello readers.

Well according to articles on the Net today Ginger or IT is to be revealed tommorrow (3/12/01)

http://howstuffworks.lycos.com/ginger1.htm

Is one news Item, but its also a lead story on the Lycos home page today.

Don't think its a hoverboard!

I note Kamen has publicly played down the idea that this thing will revolutionise the world.

The latest from http://www.drudgereport.com

"'IT' IS REVEALED:

NAMED 'SEGWAY', A SELF-BALANCING PEOPLE MOVER

TIME MAG is planning to report on Monday: The Segway is a self-balancing people mover... Developing Hard...

The NEW YORK TIMES is set to front Segway in Monday runs...

Developed at a cost of more than $100 million, the vehicle is a complex bundle of hardware and software that mimics the human body's ability to maintain its balance... "

More here: http://www.ginger-chat.com/

:)

So now you know

Gingers new wheel

In principle this thing sounds good, but, and I’m sure I speak for a lot of people here but on Friday night I have enough difficulty walking without the added complication of a set of wheels that can think for itself. Unless of course you can put it on auto pilot and just wait till you get home

Any chance of a link or some clue as to what you are talking about? :confused:

Try looking at the site listed below.
I can't see it being that popular myself, can't help thinking of Sinclair's C5. (Am I the only one old enough to remeber that !)

Cheers.

ginger.patentcafe.com

At the risk of optimisim, it looks a lot better than the C5. It doesnt appear to be mostly battery, nor is your backside 2 inches off the ground

I wait to be amazed however

8¬)

Maybe you can buy an umbrella attachment?

Still doesn't have a plexiglas bubble over it and an automatic washing machine attatchment.

*sigh*

Back