• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

From The Fortean Times To Forteana: Our 10th & 20th Anniversaries

beakboo said:
I don't know how a certain mod did it, but this mod was suspiciously familiar with the content of my PMs.
Just as long as they're not familiar with the contents of your PJs.

colpepper1 said:
Timble2 said:
And off to UnCon again.
I'll be there again. Perhaps we could all meet up for a drink? Not in a Richard Dawkins approved lift, obviously.

:lol:

This is the last place I expected to see that mentioned!

WhistlingJack said:
beakboo said:
WhistlingJack said:
It's simply not possible for anyone, even mods and admin, to read other people's PMs, no matter how much some of you would like that particular board myth to be true.
I don't know how a certain mod did it, but this mod was suspiciously familiar with the content of my PMs.

This particular spat happened before I became a mod, I wasn't involved, and so I have nothing to gain from commenting on it.

Now that I am a mod, and have some knowledge of how the board actually works, please believe me when I say that it's not possible for mods and admin to access PMs - anyone who prefers to carry on thinking so is simply deluded.

Rog O'Donnell told Dave fairly recently (in the last year I'd say) that him and Alistair? got in the back way and read PMs, they didn't involve or tell most other mods. Guess he could have been lying, don't know why he would though.

marionXXX said:
..Rog O'Donnell told Dave fairly recently (in the last year I'd say) that him and Alistair? got in the back way and read PMs, they didn't involve or tell most other mods. Guess he could have been lying, don't know why he would though.
As the only relict mod from those days, they certainly never told me.

The only third-party PMs I've read are ones that have been directly forwarded to me by other posters. And as Group Moderator, I will assure you right now that that no-one on my watch reads or ever will read third-party PMs unless asked specifically to do so, by the means I just outlined. End of.

10 years...

Blimey, you've been here so long you can remember this place before 9/11 conspiracy threads existed :shock:

*waves at Yith, McAvennie, Stu...steals slice of now-stale anniversary cake...wonders if the foyer in this place is ever going be repainted*

Good to see you Lopaka.

It's been an indecently long time since we bumped into each other. Where have you been hiding? Next thing we know, Melf, Schnor, Emps, Dark Detective, IJ and Niles will crash through the virtual doors in a tangled scrum!

And go easy on the cake unless you can do tricks with loaves and fishes; do you realise how many posters it has to go around?

theyithian said:
Next thing we know, Melf, Schnor, Emps, Dark Detective, IJ and Niles will crash through the virtual doors in a tangled scrum!

Dear Lord, that's a list of Most Likely Suspects.... *sigh*

I'd love to see any and all of them back. Blow the dust off the ol' Virtual Bar, crank up the Karaokematic. And whatever did happen to Rodney? Did he grow more tentacles?

Of COURSE they do. 'Gastropod' means 'stomach on legs'.

Kinda sums me up.

WhistlingJack said:
Now that I am a mod, and have some knowledge of how the board actually works, please believe me when I say that it's not possible for mods and admin to access PMs - anyone who prefers to carry on thinking so is simply deluded.

Deluded? Surely the admin can access the database and view any entry? A little bit teky, but with the right knowledge can be done from anywhere with a web browser.

Not suggesting that they have, or would. Just that it is not a delusion to think it possible.

Is now a good time to ask for my IDs to be merged? lol

Think I joined August 2001 originally as Blueswidow. Still in contact with quite a few people from the early days. I dropped out for a few years and when I came back the thing that put me off and still puts me off is the endless cut and paste. I find a thread I like and then I have to scroll through endless blocks of text. I prefer a explanation and a link but, hey, that's just me

I keep dropping in periodically suppose I'll never leave completely.

escargot1 said:
Of COURSE they do. 'Gastropod' means 'stomach on legs'.

Kinda sums me up.

Ah, you're in good company, Mrs Snail. I fit that description too. :)

Good to see you're still around. Somebody was just wondering what had happened to you, the other day.

:)

Just been a bit busy, didn't realise it had been so long since I last darkened the doors...!

Good lord, mine's coming up too.

Eh, so how does one celebrate it?

Search for the FTMBers 10th Anniversary Nakedness thread.

No pack drill really. Just get your kit off, snap a couple of shots in the mirror and post the results - all us old-hands have done it.

BTW: if you can't find the thread - you know how useless the search function can be - just start a new one with the same title and pop your pics up. I'm sure a mod will merge it into the right place soon enough.

You forgot to mention that only female members should do this, male members can keep their members to themselves.

I let my tenth and eleventh joining anniversaries go by unremarked, I'm glad I did now!

Back