• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT201

liveinabin

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Dropped through my letter box this morning. And it's my day off!! I'm off to have a bath and a read now. THe main artical is about Psychical Research.

Once again, I nibble my nails to a mess in eager and nervous anticipation of my subscription copy...

liveinabin1 said:
Dropped through my letter box this morning. And it's my day off!! I'm off to have a bath and a read now. THe main artical is about Psychical Research.

Wow.

We haven't even received it at Fortean Towers yet.

What is your secret?

owenwhiteoak said:
What is your secret?

Well as his name suggest perhaps he lives-in-a-bin?

A worrying comment on the quality of this issue?

owenwhiteoak said:
We haven't even received it at Fortean Towers yet.

What is your secret?

Do you remember the SF TV series about the chap who is always delivered tomorrows newspaper today?

Obviously, Liveinibin is the lucky recipient of a "time-slipped" FT subscription.

I too received my copy this morning, at 8.45 with the other post - which is interesting as for the past six months we have not had post before 9.00, and usually 10.00 or later! Living in Plymouth it often takes an extra day too!

Chris. M.

I got it today, too. Haven't had the chance to peruse yet, but I'm looking forward to it. (Perhaps the milkmen have gone on strike around Fortean Towers?)

I'm off to sit out in the back garden now and read the rest of it. I'll be looking for clues to next weeks lottery numbers then.
Or maybe therer is some hidden message telling me that the world is going to end next week and only I can stop it!

H_James said:
(Perhaps the milkmen have gone on strike around Fortean Towers?)

Problem is that its Owen and his magic milkfloat (and spooky helpers) that ensure their safe delivery before dawn. Sooooooo if even Owen hasn't got his copies who is dleivering them? Have we witnessed the workings of the Anti-Owen? Is there something dangerous and sinister about these early issues?

Mighty_Emperor said:
H_James said:
(Perhaps the milkmen have gone on strike around Fortean Towers?)

Problem is that its Owen and his magic milkfloat (and spooky helpers) that ensure their safe delivery before dawn. Sooooooo if even Owen hasn't got his copies who is dleivering them? Have we witnessed the workings of the Anti-Owen? Is there something dangerous and sinister about these early issues?

I don't think any of my Aunties were involved.

In fact, we did get our supply this afternoon -- but they are sent by a delivery van from the printers, so I was surprised that subscribers' copies were arriving first thing this morning...

Mine arrived this morning too. I'm looking forward to reading the Joe Meek article (which should have been longer!).

Loved the feature on Iceland's hidden people. Fascinating. Bought to mind John Keel's theory that UFOs and other phenomenon are created by some kind of energy or beings that feed off humans. Icelanders believe in elves and hidden people so that is what they see, perhaps?
Beautiful opening image, too.

Judge Smith's picture of an unusual flying craft in the letters might be a Northrop YB-49 flying wing. The plane was built and flown just after WW2 and he says that the photo looks like a gun camera image, so it could well have been taken by a chase plane during a test flight.

Compare his photo to this image: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:YB49_300.jpg

It also bears a resemblance to the German Horten Ho 229 flying wing (which the YB-49 was based on).

Fantastic letter from Jun Nagatani, also. Almost as good as that crazy guy from last issue.

"I am the fastest man in Japan. I put off clothes in about one second."

Hah, excellent!

hokum, I do believe you're right about the flying wing.

Yay! It was waiting for me at home!
I'm carefully studying it during quiet periods at work.

Always a pleasant surprise when an edition arrives before I am expecting.

My only question relates to the cover: How did they get my son to model? I wouldn't be able to get him to sit still long enough.

baby sitting

Bilderberger said:
Always a pleasant surprise when an edition arrives before I am expecting.

My only question relates to the cover: How did they get my son to model? I wouldn't be able to get him to sit still long enough.

Try using your psi powers

greets

arrived here today

further to the nazi sex dolls story on page 08

this from boing boing

Nazi sex doll story: das ist bogus

It appears that we must toss the previously-blogged tale of Nazi Sex Doll Borghild (Link) on the dungheap of internet hoaxdom. Boing Boing reader Rochus Wolff says of the fabled proto-robo-ho:

I came across the story about these dolls about a year ago after a Canadian researcher sent an email around asking whether anyone knew anything about this doll apart from what it said on the (now mostly defunct) site borghild.de.

After reading your post, i researched the matter a bit further. The origin of the information that led to your post (via Fleshbot and other blogs) seems to be an article by the widely read but often less-than-accurately-reporting German daily Bild. All the information given is what can be found on the rather odd website borghild.de - the "information" given there can still be found here in an English translation.

Independently of each other, Jens Baumeister and I have concluded from the information available to us, that the "Borghild" story is quite probably a fake. (The German posting on my research is here. Jens has posted his results here. Some of his findings are translated here: Link).
The main problems with "Borghild" are:

- There is no evidence that any of the documents the text talks about ever existed. The Deutsche Hygiene Museum says that of course most records were destroyed in an attack in 1945, but that still no one they talked seems to remember anything about this project. The photographs on borghild.de are clearly fabrications, and the site even acknowledges that.
- The author of borghild.de, "Norbert Lenz", claims to have worked for a number of German magazines - all of which claim not to know a journalist by that name. He is not listed in phone directories, and the only book currently available in Germany by a Norbert Lenz is a book about - ducks.

So in the end it seems like the Nazis were not, after all, planning to equip their soldiers with sex dolls. That hardly comes as a surprise.

Yours truly,
Rochus

Fine, Rochus. Go ahead. Defrag my Borg-hilda dreams with your merciless facts, your heartless "empirical evidence" -- call our lady of latex a lie. But borg love is TRUE. Die sexpuppen der Nazis are forever.

http://www.boingboing.net/2005/06/22/na ... tory_.html

mal

H_James said:
hokum, I do believe you're right about the flying wing.

Indeed it is, and they were beautiful craft that looked like everything you expect from a good sci-fi film. The photo itself looks remarkably similar to an old colour film of flying wing tests (or show-off films) which makes me think that it might be a still produced from one of these. Anyone know any good links to USAF test films?

Considering the dark patches under the object looks like exhaust from the two engines.

hokum6 said:
Fantastic letter from Jun Nagatani, also. Almost as good as that crazy guy from last issue.

Hah, excellent!

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the letter from the bloke who claimed he got rid of a sore throat by pumping two quarts of coffee up his arse. Seems a bit drastic.

I think he just like putting things up his bum!

gncxx said:
hokum6 said:

Hah, excellent!

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the letter from the bloke who claimed he got rid of a sore throat by pumping two quarts of coffee up his arse. Seems a bit drastic.
Well, I guess you would tend to forget a sore throat after that. :D

I actually came down with something very like flu yesterday, deliberately smoked a lot (didn't touch coffee, thankyou) and I'm fine today. Coincidence?!

H_James said:
I actually came down with something very like flu yesterday, deliberately smoked a lot (didn't touch coffee, thankyou) and I'm fine today. Coincidence?!
You cant say things like that, it's not PC, you could get banned. :)

well my copy arrived today at 6am :shock:

my f/mate didnt hear a thing, when it was posted or materialised/teleported onto the mat :_omg:

so unless owen has trained a load of ninja polts riding around in ghostly milkfloats delivering the mags like anti-mib's?

i havent a clue

gncxx said:
hokum6 said:

Hah, excellent!

The other thing I noticed was that he said he was left ill after the 1918 flu. How old does he think he is.

Ninja polts on ghostly milkfloats

pizzed_off said:
well my copy arrived today at 6am :shock:

my f/mate didnt hear a thing, when it was posted or materialised/teleported onto the mat :_omg:

so unless owen has trained a load of ninja polts riding around in ghostly milkfloats delivering the mags like anti-mib's?

i havent a clue

Shhhhhh. Don't let everyone know!

Got mine today too - intereting stuff.

That painting on page 7 is weird. If that is an exclusive (as opposed to the newspaper "exclusives" ;) ) then that shoul get the mg some decent press!!!

I also notice white dog poo on the letters page - if only they asked me ;) I'll give my article on this a final look over and hopefully get it off this week.

Back