• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

original_fLeebLe

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
h.r. giger's real alien - did the chupacabracome from outer space... or hollywood?
wiki leaks - the future of conspiracy?
world of wonder - strange stories for 70's schoolkids
bloody weather - when flesh rained from the sky
spook show - 'i spent the night in a haunted theatre'
the power of prayer
saucer sects
naked quakers
snake saviour
haunted hangmen
royal relics
uffington white... dog?
allergic to life
paranoid soundworlds

Sounds like a great issue! :D

The haunted hangmen intrigue me. Are they 'haunted' by the ghosts of their, er, clients, or by their own consciences? Albert Pierrepoint* was 'haunted' by the execution of Ruth Ellis, to the extent of spending hours beside her grave apologising.

Won't get mine until at least Tuesday. :(

*My Mum knows his niece. Takes you lot to within 6 degrees of many famous murderers. 8)

An interesting article. I recall Pierrepoint's career being serialised in a Sunday tabloid in the 70s and thinking basically, it isn't a state killing because one man does the deed. I don't know whether the chap who places the rope also pulls the lever but to get the job done someone has to make it happen.

As that individual has no personal investment in retribution for the crime, they're doing it either for the money or some weird kick. I don't know how they can sleep at night. A weird career however you look at it.

Having just finished 270 (Chirstmas preperation delayed me in my reading!), I can't wait for the new issue to arrive in my letterbox! (with or without the white sticker!)

p.13

Big advert for a MSc Parapsychology (By Distance Learning)

ability to do remote viewing an advantage I expect.

Mine arrived today, hooray. Just skimmed it so far, but some of the regulars seem to be cut down a bit more than usual, was this to fit in more of the main articles?

Mal_Content said:
p.13

Big advert for a MSc Parapsychology (By Distance Learning)

ability to do remote viewing an advantage I expect.

Har, har! You may also announce your results in advance: first class honours!

They have a neck though offering a MSc. What educational establishmnent is offering this?

Sounds like an offer from Dodgey Brothers School Of Higher Thought...

(Any Australian old enough to know who the Dodgey Brothers are know to whom I refer! ;) )

Good issue, I especially liked the World of Wonder magazine article, it's great to read about these half-forgotten stories and makes me wonder where WOW harvested them from.

That warship firing cheese story the author asked about reminded me of reading a cartoon representation of it in a 1970s Beezer or Topper annual I got from a jumble sale as a kid, hadn't thought of it in decades but it sprang immediately to mind on reading that.

Think the publishers might have been D.C. Thompson rather than Fleetway, so there could have been some crossover between the great rivals.

gncxx said:
That warship firing cheese story the author asked about reminded me of reading a cartoon representation of it in a 1970s Beezer or Topper annual I got from a jumble sale as a kid, hadn't thought of it in decades but it sprang immediately to mind on reading that.

Any ship that fires cheese should be grilled for being brie-tensious!

I understand the crew were pretty cheesed off.

Since my copy hasn't arrived yet, I look forward to reading it!

Quick Q folks.

I started my subscription last Jan, I seem to remember that the first mag (and mug) arrived in Feb. Do I need to advise anyone if I want to continue, as it was a 12 month subscription, or will it continue unless I opt out?

Cultjunky said:
Quick Q folks.

I started my subscription last Jan, I seem to remember that the first mag (and mug) arrived in Feb. Do I need to advise anyone if I want to continue, as it was a 12 month subscription, or will it continue unless I opt out?

When I went for the 12 month sub option, they used to let me know when it was about to run out, so I'd imagine they'll be in touch soon. I doubt they'd continue to send it if you hadn't paid for it!

Ooh ooh, one of my cuttings made it in!!

Odd object embedded in flint- letters page

I just read the digital version- okay, the letters page has something that really struck me. This is a reader that submitted a real-looking (at least) anomalous out-of-place geological oddity! Get thee to your nearest university geology department, or something! This isn't a drawing from 1890 in one of William Corliss's great books or a grainy black and white photo in an old book we remember from the library, but a reader that has the actual specimen. I looked around for a few minutes but I didn't see any threads already extant regarding this- are there any?

DougalLongfoot said:
Any non-flood affected Australians get theirs yet?

SInce I live in Sydney, I am not flood affected, but my copy has yet to arrive...

I don't live in the flooded areas, but I know people who do. Does that mean I count as "flood-affected"?

No sign here, either.

Re: Odd object embedded in flint- letters page

chris_in_LA said:
a real-looking (at least) anomalous out-of-place geological oddity!

Marvelous, isn't it? Quite the most interesting photo I've seen in FT for a long time. I would expect to hear more about it.

I am so disappointed,if I was going to report an HR giger monster running about it wouldn't be the laughable alien from species,but the xenomorph from alien.Some people have no imagination. :(

Pick of this month for me was the theatre ghost,i wish i had been there.

The ghost theatre story, is on here somewhere in IHTM. It's a great story and I agree it's a highlight of the month.

Oh, it's GREAT. Really. Possibly the best issue yet. :D

Come the summer, come the hostas. :twisted:

Back