• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT306

GNC

King-Sized Canary
What's this? An FT arriving on a Wednesday?! Fortean indeed. Have just had a quick look through and it seems to be crop circle-tastic, though be warned there are a couple of distressing pics featuring children in Strange Days.

I thought it odd that no-one had mentioned their copy arriving earlier than this. People comment on that a week before its release date...

The milkman used to bring mine! :lol:

There has definitely been a delay with subs getting their copies of this issue; folks on Twitter reported getting it Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday. No idea why.

If they're selling off the Royal Mail this morning, who knows when the next issue will arrive?

Had a proper look at it, sounds as if the Stonehenge crop circle wasn't so mysterious after all, though the forum piece seems a bit like point scoring. Taxidermy stuff is something I always find quite eerie, especially when made into artworks, but I can't deny it has its fascination (not the bottle opener in a deer's arse, I can live without that).

Good crop of biography weirdness, I've heard the Alec Guinness warning to James Dean before, the John Simpson one is interesting, though, might have been a prank, yet still sinister. Liked the weirder IHTM too, the weirder they get the paradoxically easier they are to believe: e.g. aliens under the bed, why make that up? That said, I wish FT would print a paragraph saying yes, that message from the future really was an advert. If only it was on YouTube...

I had no idea Potter's Museum was in Bramber, that's just down the road from me. I might go and see if I can find the building, at least.

Anyone think Sir Benjamin's big black cat might be one of his big black dogs?

The Walter Potter museum article was fun as it triggered a memory for me which I had to double check with my mother. I had never been sure if my memory of seeing these stuffed animals was actually real or falsely remembered through seeing photos in books or papers when I had grown up a bit. Turns out that the collection had indeed made an impression on me aged about four! I had been to the museum in Arundel while we were on holiday down in Worthing. I think that the white mice and kittens were particularly memorable. Mum remembers them as being a bit badly stuffed (some of the animals were not easily identifiable!) and that it was all rather dusty!

The crop circle article left me a bit cold and I'm yet to delve into the bits and bobs at the front as I tend to read the main articles first then work towards the back of the mag, then back to the front and into the middle! :lol:

Am I the only one who reads FT in a certain way?

Tilly, I read FT like a book. I start from the beginning and work my way to the back. I can't cope with reading it any other way.

Mine arrived on Monday BTW, I just haven't got round to posting about it!

I nearly missed my copy this month! Found it on the living room chair under a pile of things. Turns out it had arrived on Wednesday, but on that day I had a splitting migraine, so Mr. Urvogel said he put it out of sight on the chair because 'I knew it would make you sad that it was here but you were too ill to read it'.

Bless :3

Any word on what will be in the 40th anniversay issue? Let's hope it's better than the 300th issue!

Mine arrived days ago but I've put it somewhere safe and can't find it. :cry:

Why has the letter from Geoff Clifton been printed in a second edition?

Does everyone get the same advertisement inserts? Scanning one that came with mine (Amazing New Book - Uncovers The Truth etc - Wow...again?), and flipping over to the recommendations, I actually thought it was a parody.

Sometimes I'm almost tempted to buy them and have a bit of a giggle - but the 'almost' bit always kicks in.

gncxx said:
...Taxidermy stuff is something I always find quite eerie, especially when made into artworks, but I can't deny it has its fascination (not the bottle opener in a deer's arse, I can live without that)....

Stuffed animals make me cringe, I don't care in what context or how well done. One of my local pubs has a stuffed kingfisher in a glass case. Seeing a kingfisher in the wild is akin to being tapped on the eyeball by the angel Gabriel, seeing one in a glass box is an insult to nature. Generally I can't get over that feeling however good the product.

...I've heard the Alec Guinness warning to James Dean before, the John Simpson one is interesting, though, might have been a prank, yet still sinister...

When the request for biographical examples of Fortean style weirdness came up I recalled a couple: there is, I think, an example in Daniel Farson's Never a Normal Man, the details of which I can't recall; and there are several really quite unnerving episodes in Mikal Gilmore's Shot in the Heart . (I'm actually a little surprised that the latter isn't better known in Fortean circles.)

Liked the weirder IHTM too, the weirder they get the paradoxically easier they are to believe: e.g. aliens under the bed, why make that up?...

Yes, it's the weirdest and, I find, the most mundane that ring true. I find that the 'why make that up?' test works at both extremes.

Monstrosa said:
Why has the letter from Geoff Clifton been printed in a second edition?
I had quite the deja vu moment when I read that. I found the ''Speakers were denouncing me and arousing men against me'' men against me'' very amusing under the picture of Lucy Pringle in the Stonehenge Surprise article, a remnant of the Crook Frightfulness article lingering on. None of which diminishes the great pleasure I take in reading this publication.

The leaflet advertising the latest book i'll never read, seems to have forgotten to put the name of the author. Not sure I'd want to pay extra for a signed copy of an anonymous book.

old benjamin radford wasnt at his fortean best re crop circles ... seemed a bit of a lame and lazy runthrough to me not on a par with his usual pieces ... alan murdie was fantastic as ever and the guy emerging from the vietnam jungle after 40 years with salon quality hair deserves a mention

HenryFort said:
old benjamin radford wasnt at his fortean best re crop circles ... seemed a bit of a lame and lazy runthrough to me not on a par with his usual pieces ... alan murdie was fantastic as ever and the guy emerging from the vietnam jungle after 40 years with salon quality hair deserves a mention

Best comment on an article ever! :lol:

Spent a pleasant couple of afternoons on a sunny terrace last week, drinking beer and reading FT No.306 from cover to cover.

:)

The "Amelia Earhart" photo in 306

Has anyone else looked at this photo (under "Letters") and thought the supposed explanation completely wrong? The author, David Pawlowski, claims (with no evidence) it's of a "senior guard wearing no identification" and that his "itchy trigger finger" is a threat to keep interested people away from the obvious (not!) Lockheed Electra in the background.

His broad smile, manner of holding the Thompson, and stance are those of the typical serviceman posing with a weapon so he can send a photo home to family and friends. My Dad served in Burma in '44-45 and sent home almost exactly the same photo, albeit taken in the jungle, as well as snaps of his friends also holding weapons in mock threat poses. Should I suppose Dad and his mates were helping hide Earhart's Electra as well?

The "lack" of ID is easily explained as well, since US servicemen of the era wore patches on the shoulders, which clearly are not shown in the photo.

Mr. Pawlowski's imagination is running away with him. Sorry, case not proven.

Have to agree. Something under a tarpaulin. Smiling service man with weapon. About the most tenuous link to the Amelia Earheart mystery one could imagine. Didn't see very much in that photo, at all.

I've just discovered that this issue of FT was my 200th! Happy anniversary!

And yes, I still have them all :D

Urvogel said:
I've just discovered that this issue of FT was my 200th! Happy anniversary!

And yes, I still have them all :D

So that's about ten years or so (very rough guess there!) of back issues you have hoarded, er, carefully archived away at your house? Lucky you! ;)

47Forteans said:
So that's about ten years or so (very rough guess there!) of back issues you have hoarded, er, carefully archived away at your house? Lucky you! ;)

Expect to see me in the Strange Deaths column at some point in the future, having been crushed to death by a giant pile of FT back issues.

Urvogel said:
47Forteans said:

Expect to see me in the Strange Deaths column at some point in the future, having been crushed to death by a giant pile of FT back issues.

I look forward to it!

Hang on, not like that, it sounded better in my head! You know what I mean! :oops: :lol:

Urvogel said:

I once nearly drowned whilst wearing a Fortean Times tee-shirt. It occured to me as I dragged myself coughing and spluttering from the water that I would've been a shoe in for a strange deaths paragraph had I pegged it.

Back