• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT318

Here too, just started to read it but I felt the need to come here and grumble only a few pages in.

There is an item about Bolivia's government flipping the clock on their building over and getting to to run the other way.
The article says 'a direction known elsewhere as counterclockwise or widdershins', what about anti-clockwise which I understood was the regular turn of phrase in the UK?

I know it is a tiny grumble really but counterclockwise is an American expression and there is enough of American culture taking over without it creeping into the pages of FT.

Mine's here and already about three quarters read. :D

Am keenly waiting for my copy to arrive, jealous of anyone who has their copy already!

Mine arrived yesterday but I ended up working late and have barely touched it. Looks good, though.

Mine's is here too, I've digested some of it already. Great to have another British Bigfoot anecdote tucked away at the end of the Wildman article. Does the Doctor Who article hold the record for the most footnotes?

Liked the IHTM where the possibility of messages in tummy rumbles was posited. I'll have to listen more carefully.

Not sure about that advert that was in the last issue, too. It looks a bit, well, Nazi, and I don't want to follow the web address to find out if it is or not. Maybe it's best not to ask.

For the first time ever, my copy has arrived the day before it goes on sale! It usually arrives a week or two after it goes on sale! Looks like a cracking good read!

gncxx said:
Liked the IHTM where the possibility of messages in tummy rumbles was posited. I'll have to listen more carefully.

Aha, this is called gastromancy! I've read a first-hand acount of this.

Certain Middle Eastern shamans would use gastromancy to communicate with the spirits. If you wanted to buy a house, you'd employ one to walk around it and the spirits would 'talk' through his stomach. He'd then interpret the sounds to tell the prospective owners about the spiritual condition of the house and how to cleanse it of any worrying possessions.

A relation of mine can make intestinal-sounding noises at will. I've often considered suggesting a career change to her. :lol:

Read most of my issue last night (such is the state of Australian tv!)

escargot1 said:

How could I have gone through life and not heard of this?! Thanks for enlightening me, especially since my stomach is wont to make incredible noises at unfortunate instances. I can just say it's the spirits talking now.

You need to ask the spirits about the lottery numbers.

gncxx said:
escargot1 said:

How could I have gone through life and not heard of this?! Thanks for enlightening me, especially since my stomach is wont to make incredible noises at unfortunate instances. I can just say it's the spirits talking now.

Gastropods advising people about gastromancy? Yeah, I bet you'd love us to live our lives by by our bellies, like you. Watch out for the slugs and snails, people! They'll subvert our bipedal values, and tear down our tetrapoid civilisation if we're not careful.

Only flicked through it so far but it's a really cool cover, I love it!

One of the best FT's in a while! Always showing that there is more out there than I think there is!

Having finished the current copy, I am waiting eagerly for the next issue!

47Forteans said:
Having finished the current copy, I am waiting eagerly for the next issue!

The only problem with FT is the long wait between issues! Lucky I have several years of back issues to keep me going until the next issue!

Going against the grain here, but I hated the Woodwose article. I thought it was one of the most boring pieces I've ever read in FT. Woodwose? It was just the Green Man surely? And much of the article was simply a list of places the author had found carvings etc.
Very disappointed. :(

I have been pleased with the quality of FT for quite a while though - there was a slump at one point a couple of years or so ago, but things have picked up again, thankfully.

XEPER_ said:
Going against the grain here, but I hated the Woodwose article. I thought it was one of the most boring pieces I've ever read in FT. Woodwose? It was just the Green Man surely? And much of the article was simply a list of places the author had found carvings etc.

I have been pleased with the quality of FT for quite a while though - there was a slump at one point a couple of years or so ago, but things have picked up again, thankfully.

I'd never even heard of Woodwose, so it was a good article to introduce an unfamiliar piece of Forteana/history to a new person!

I'd agree, it wasn't my favourite article.

I did enjoy the Murder House article, although playing catch-up I had seen that on the cover of the next issue I have to read so was somewhat puzzled to start reading it in issue 318.

Would have to say it was one of those I was less interested in, the maze rats article I struggled to find interest in. Yes, I understand the mysteries of the brain and the question of whether knowledge and learning can be passed on generation-to-generation is an interesting and unanswered question but it felt a bit too much like I had stumbled into the pages of New Scientist. Meanwhile, the Kabbalah 'Forum' piece seemed to be basically an account of a squabble over invitation to a party. Another piece that seemed like it had wandered in from one of the other magazines usually placed in the same section as FT in the newsagent.

There are obviously people interested in these kind of topics and it is good FT caters for as wide a range of subjects, there will be months where the topics I am interested in probably bore other readers. This month was just not for me.

Still, I don't recall coming across any mention of Michell or Crowley so there is that I suppose... :)

I'd agree, it wasn't my favourite article.

I did enjoy the Murder House article, although playing catch-up I had seen that on the cover of the next issue I have to read so was somewhat puzzled to start reading it in issue 318.

Would have to say it was one of those I was less interested in, the maze rats article I struggled to find interest in. Yes, I understand the mysteries of the brain and the question of whether knowledge and learning can be passed on generation-to-generation is an interesting and unanswered question but it felt a bit too much like I had stumbled into the pages of New Scientist. Meanwhile, the Kabbalah 'Forum' piece seemed to be basically an account of a squabble over invitation to a party. Another piece that seemed like it had wandered in from one of the other magazines usually placed in the same section as FT in the newsagent.

There are obviously people interested in these kind of topics and it is good FT caters for as wide a range of subjects, there will be months where the topics I am interested in probably bore other readers. This month was just not for me.

Still, I don't recall coming across any mention of Michell or Crowley so there is that I suppose... :)

You'll be glad to hear Crowley is back in the newest issue (in Phenomenomix)!

I'll not get to that until the summer, I'm still catching up on Autumn/Winter 2014 editions...! :)

Lol, yeah I do that too. You've probably been too busy reading about the Dave King situation eh? :D

Lol, yeah I do that too. You've probably been too busy reading about the Dave King situation eh? :D

Zombies, back from the dead ... it is hard to tell whether I am still reading FT or not. :D

I can'y remember if I said, but the FTMB was a major influence in renewing my subscription, giving one as a gift and trying to encourage family and friends to become a litte less rigid in their thinking. Which can only be a good thing, she thought pliably.

Back