• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT330

The anaesthetic gas aspect is interesting as no such thing exists, or at least in a form that can be used for sedating burglary victims. It has been discussed elsewhere on here.
What about the Mad Gasser of Mattoon?
Or the stuff used by Russians to knock out a bunch of terrorists?
Aerosol LSD?

What about the Mad Gasser of Mattoon?
Or the stuff used by Russians to knock out a bunch of terrorists?

The Russian is always potentially lethal rather than just knock-out and so it turned out in that action.

A friend of mine loved it:
http://nuts4r2.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/maggie.html

Hope to catch it on DVD.

Good review and that Cactus Jack/Spider-Man TV movie double bill is where I first saw Schwarzenegger too! I can't understand walking out of a film, it's not like sending a meal back at a restaurant, you may as well stick with the movie to the end if you paid for it. Anyway, Maggie sounds like something I'd like.

Enjoyed the article on yew trees, I never knew any of that stuff before.
Also liked the piece about the lightning strikes BUT - to mention a photo some guy took of a ghostly figure framed by electricity and NOT SHOW US IT?! FFS, come on. I Googled it and couldn't find it either though, so my guess is it doesn't actually exist and probably never did.

Also liked the piece about the lightning strikes BUT - to mention a photo some guy took of a ghostly figure framed by electricity and NOT SHOW US IT?! FFS, come on. I Googled it and couldn't find it either though, so my guess is it doesn't actually exist and probably never did.
I also google it and found nothing. Given the internet's obsession with weird and strange images, most of which aren't even genuine, the apparent absence of this particular image caused me to arrive at the same conclusion, that it was probably never any more than rumour, lazily stated unambiguously as fact.

Further to the aforementioned image that is unavailable online and seemingly referenced purely on hearsay, I was irked by the bio of the yew tree author.

It states that he spent 2014 as "artist in residence" on the International Space Station. Maybe this is meant as some kind of jokey comment, and I really hope that is the case as otherwise it marks a worrying tumble in sub-editing and fact-checking. The rest of the bio reads quite straightforward and credible and this "fact" is placed right in the middle - not where I'd expect to find a joke addition.

A quick Google reveals some kind of space research artist(s) in residence, presumably for the ISS, but I'm having difficulty finding much more than that. I'd regard it as probable truth.

Just guessing, but it may have been for a video artist. They'd probably have video cameras on board that the 'artist' could use for recording sequences.

I see. Guess that makes more sense. I had a hard time imagining a hippy guy sitting in the corner of the satellite strumming out self composed ditties about mankind and the universe on his acoustic!

I was pleased to see my account of the shadow entity I witnessed 8 years ago featured in the latest FT (Christmas special). FT is impossible to find when I'm in Ireland, and it's getting harder and harder to find a stockists in Bournemouth too. Borders Bournemouth always had FT in stock but they closed down about 5 years ago, and the number of WHSmiths in Dorset that stock FT seems to be getting fewer and fewer :banghead: I plan on asking my fiancée to get me a subscription for a Yule present :)

Last edited:
this was an excellent issue, full of interest,the berkeley square article was a good piece of journalism, getting right to the start of the story and i never would have thought the cock lane story had anything new to be added, but i was pleasantly surprised, jenny randles was her normal thoughtful self ,the shadowman article was superb, it had just the right tone i want from the magazine and the readers letters were outstanding.

A big christmas drink to everybody involved in this issue :drink:

Stuck for something to read, so I picked up a back copy of FT at random - turned out to be this one. Randome thoughts: Blood Falls in Artarctica, where the snow and ice are bright scarlet. This is thought to be due to microscopic organisms that have somehow learnt to metabolise iron and turn it into the soluble ferrous form which then stains the snow bright orange-red. Ferrous ammonium suphate is mentioned as the active chemical compound.

Errr... look at the contents label on the bottle of Irn-Bru. This is the stuff that gives Irn Bru the taste and colour it has. Which leads to the point that the hardiest form of life there is, that can colonise Antarctica and consider it a home from home - is Scottish. And the idea of a natural spurce of Irn Bru - in Antarctica...

Which leads to the point that the hardiest form of life there is, that can colonise Antarctica and consider it a home from home - is Scottish. And the idea of a natural spurce of Irn Bru - in Antarctica...

hurrah! :D

Back