• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT335

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
I had thought the subscribers would be receiving their issues by now, since it is due out next week...

No doubt someone will receive their issue in the next few days and post the highlights.

Hey Dino that's cheating, you can't just post a 'I'm looking forward to receiving this', you actually have to have a physical mag.

Otherwise I'll dibs the fantastic 1000th issue I'm really looking forward to :p.

When my subscription copy is delivered, a massive cow silhouette is automatically projected up into the dark night skies.

A barcode reader in the letterbox at home scans it into my Arduino, verification checks are completed, the dome slowly opens and megawatts of laser arclights cut through the gloom.

But- this time, the cow has not yet jumped over the moon (the neighbours will be pleased....)

When my subscription copy is delivered, a massive cow silhouette is automatically projected up into the dark night skies.

A barcode reader in the letterbox at home scans it into my Arduino, verification checks are completed, the dome slowly opens and megawatts of laser arclights cut through the gloom.

But- this time, the cow has not yet jumped over the moon (the neighbours will be pleased....)
Do you also have a CowCave and a CowMobile?

Do you also have a CowCave and a CowMobile?
Yes, indeed, in a sense I do. My methods and mechanisms appear curiously well-known to the public.
2015-12-04 17.17.33.png

Mine turned up today. I've only read Mythconceptions and Alien Zoo so far. Interesting identification for the HMS Daedalus sea serpent, but I disagree with Karl Shuker's concern that "...experienced seamen [...] would have recognised it for what it was..."

It looks a fair issue. A whole page given to Classical Corner won't please those who struggle with Barry Baldwin's style. I'm looking forward to reading Nick Parkins' forum piece about shadow entities. (YAY! Forum is back!)

David Hambling's Science column is about Pluto, so should be interesting.

I'm not so much a ghost fan as I once was, so perhaps this issue's features are not for me, but I'll read them as always.

Yeah, like me - I'll be skipping that page.

My copy just arrived, looks like some interesting features, should be a good issue. BUT the cover isn't Christmas-y at all! :eek:

BUT the cover isn't Christmas-y at all! :eek:

But it's spooky. Ghosts are as much a part of Christmas as overindulging in food and drink, falling out with relatives and spending money you don't really have on things people don't really want. I'm sure there were some archaic, symbolic associations with Christmas, but I can't bring them to mind.

But it's spooky. Ghosts are as much a part of Christmas as overindulging in food and drink
For certain.

And not just the frosted frightning of 'A Christmas Carol'. The pre-Victorian unparodied Christmas was much closer to original the pagan Green-man yuletide, with it's undead sun of god and the rebirth of Old Sol.

My FT335 arrived this morning. It burst forth from a rainsoaked non-plain unbrown membrane of deliverance, again with the front-page facing out for the world to see. It certainly seems a sanctuary from santa...

lens2307750_1227720697Santa_Free_Zone.gif

My copy just arrived, looks like some interesting features, should be a good issue. BUT the cover isn't Christmas-y at all! :eek:

It does have the word "Christmas" on it, in the bit where the month usually goes, so they're committing to it.

It does have the word "Christmas" on it, in the bit where the month usually goes, so they're committing to it.

And we do know that the editors of FT are committed...:bananas::bananas::bananas:

I dunno, I have a nice memory of a great FT Xmas cover, with baubles and a tree and everything. I think it was about Nazis.
Made me feel all festive.

I dunno, I have a nice memory of a great FT Xmas cover, with baubles and a tree and everything.
My false memory receptors happily remember this with great affectation. They don't make them up like that anymore....

And there's another thing....is there really a website somewhere on the WWW that's got a front-page artwork scan of every single FT? If not, should I pray to Santa (or his arisen son on earth, Richard Branson) for it to appear on Christmas morn?

My false memory receptors happily remember this with great affectation. They don't make them up like that anymore....

It's not a false memory, or made up. I remember it quite clearly. I even remember where I was when I was reading it. Industrial estate in Alexandria.

It's not a false memory, or made up
No, I meant for me. I don't properly remember that edition, especially now that I've seen it.

I note the FT shown in the picture above is Mint In Bag....presumably that's a stock image, from the FT front-page artwork website that I postulated above?

Interesting delve into the past for the three main articles, and all three come to the "bullshit" explanation after very careful research. Convincing, but sometimes you hope for something more enigmatic. Mind you, I'm sure I already knew the disappearing boy on the way to the well was spun off from an Ambrose Bierce story, but it was good to get more background.

Also, wur very ain Stun Eville had an article published, on the self-perpetuating conspiracy theorising that's spread across the internet. I wonder if all this will result in genuine conspiracies when the allure of secret operations becomes too much to resist? Good article, anyway.

Shadowman spectacular across the Forum and IHTM, including someone who literally screamed their house down, which I would have thought more remarkable than jumping at a shadowperson. Unless it was a gas explosion?

No, I meant for me. I don't properly remember that edition, especially now that I've seen it.

I note the FT shown in the picture above is Mint In Bag....presumably that's a stock image, from the FT front-page artwork website that I postulated above?

Don't ask me I just googled it! :evil: I don't keep any of my FTs. They go to the charity shop once I'm done.
I can't believe that issue is Jan 2007, so presumably I was reading it at work in December 2006. Feels like it was just last week!

Interesting delve into the past for the three main articles, and all three come to the "bullshit" explanation after very careful research. Convincing, but sometimes you hope for something more enigmatic.

Oh, that's a shame. It's a trend I think I've commented on in the past here - lots of articles in FT now debunk the old legends and, although it's commendable, it's also a bit depressing. Takes all the fun out.

Ermintrude said:
...presumably that's a stock image, from the FT front-page artwork website that I postulated above?

XPER_ said:
Don't ask me I just googled it!

If the website that I'm optimistically convocating does not currently exist, perhaps We, the board members, could create it?

A picture, of every single FT colour front cover, ever since it went A4. A massive mosaic, clickable, with each minipic expandable to fill the screen. I think it might be monumentally marvellous.

Some members might have every single copy. Some may have what others may lack. And missing covers might be recoverable from the vaults of Denis...

If the website that I'm optimistically convocating does not currently exist, perhaps We, the board members, could create it?

A picture, of every single FT colour front cover, ever since it went A4. A massive mosaic, clickable, with each minipic expandable to fill the screen. I think it might be monumentally marvellous.

Some members might have every single copy. Some may have what others may lack. And missing covers might be recoverable from the vaults of Denis...

Sounds like a great idea!

The Christmas cover which you recall may be the one which featured an article on the "Star of Bethlehem". Very good stuff, very classic Fortean Times and excellent for Christmas.

Back