• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT348

ah thanks, was looking for a longer/forum piece, must admit i never read that, nor classical corner, thatll teach me

Folklore seems constant, yet Heirophant is still MIA...

Folklore seems constant, yet Heirophant is still MIA...

Surely we have a few clever, witty individuals here who could assume the mantle of the Heirophant? I did love his column back in the day, but I'm sure there's someone around who's up to tne job.

Sigh. I need to get another subscription to FT. There's nowhere to buy a copy within 30 miles now. :(

I vote Ulalume as new Heirophant!

Lol. While the Hierophant was many things, one thing I'm sure he was not was a lady who cries at romantic movies* and frets about her shoes matching her handbag. :p

I was thinking of some kind of Stuneville/Escargot/Ringo-ish hybrid. They would get the job done. :D

*Edward Scissorhands

Lol. While the Hierophant was many things, one thing I'm sure he was not was a lady who cries at romantic movies* and frets about her shoes matching her handbag. :p

I was thinking of some kind of Stuneville/Escargot/Ringo-ish hybrid. They would get the job done. :D

*Edward Scissorhands

I'm pretty sure he cries at romantic movies!

I know 349 is out now (yet to buy my copy) but I've just read the obituary (Necrolog) for Chris Sizemore. (Three Faces of Eve). Talk about being slow on the uptake... bloody hell, i'm only 36 years behind but i've finally realised what Siouxie and the Bandshees were singing about in "Christine". At the time I just thought "weird spooky lyrics". It was the bit about "strawberry lady" and banana-split girl" that got me wondering just where the Hell I'd heard those words before. Then I realised.

If you want a really good laugh, watch the film of The Three Faces of Eve. It's an unintentional laugh riot. I assume it failed to represent the actual case accurately?

Did everyone's issue of FT 348 end up arriving? I informed them later in January when I realised it still hadn't arrived. They said it had been sent but must have gone astray, and they'd send me another one- I received it yesterday but it was 347, which I already have. So informed them that they sent the wrong one and they have told me that issue 348 is not out of stock. Not happy.

Having received my issue much late, I read it only late. I was really disappointed by Jenny Randle's confusing take on the decrease of alien sightings ; evidencing a lack of understanding of the way psychosocial trends work and their effects on the individual psyche ; and a curious lack of knowledge of the current popular culture, as she, uncannily, believes that the belief in extraterrestrials is not a central figure of popular concerns and culture anymore, while it has never been so present. Which in fact would imply, if we were to consider that psychosocial influence works even remotely as she suggests, that there should be more sightings of alien spaceships and occupants than ever. But as she mentions robots as the new dominant psychosocial trend, let her have us know of the next wave of sightings of human-like robots !

But moreover, what was the most disturbing was to see her to take out again the legend that Kenneth Arnold had used the saucer or disk metaphor in relation to the motion of the objects and not to their shape (a really bizarre notion in itself, as who would refer to a bouncing movement as to the one of saucers bouncing on water ???) ! She really should know that it is a bogus tale, a sociopsychologist legend repeated so often that it has virtually become an embodiment of the meme concept, but unfortunately usually ignored.
Arnold always used the disk/saucer metaphor as refering to the shape. See :
http://www.ufoupdateslist.com/2011/sep/m09-005.shtml
http://www.ufoupdateslist.com/2011/sep/m10-002.shtml
http://www.ufoupdateslist.com/2011/sep/m10-005.shtml
http://darklore.dailygrail.com/samples/DL5-MS.pdf

Did everyone's issue of FT 348 end up arriving? I informed them later in January when I realised it still hadn't arrived. They said it had been sent but must have gone astray, and they'd send me another one- I received it yesterday but it was 347, which I already have. So informed them that they sent the wrong one and they have told me that issue 348 is not out of stock. Not happy.

That's a shame - I always put my read copies of FT into the charity shop bin in the hope someone finds it and enjoys it. I'd have sent you my copy of 348 if I still had it!

Anyone else think the Folklore column to be on the dull side?

Yes. Completely.

Also, the ABC image on page 20 has to be a Photoshop. The size of the cat compared to the leaves means it would be barely the size of a small dog. Also the clarity of its face compared to the rest of the image and the weird blurring as it disappears behind the leaves.

Puma-lurking-in-British-countryside-546455.jpg

Back