• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT351

I spent a good few months, maybe over a year, trying to work out Professor Baldwin's column (missus) and then it just clicked, and I've had no problems ever since, unless retaining much information from the masses of facts in each entry is a problem. I like the guy, he's exactly the kind of buff who suits the FT...

Barry Baldwin is clearly the equivalent of Fortean marmite; I can't get enough of his stuff - but I can also kind of understand why some people find his style off-putting.

the content of his column is often compelling, but its so unrelentingly parenthetical in its expression i defy anyone to read it out loud without losing the sense of what theyre saying

I suspect one of the reasons I like it is that I tend to think in the same way he writes. In fact I have to make a concerted effort to self edit myself away from that kind of parenthetical style - and I'm not sure I always manage; I often look at my posts and wonder if they make sense to anyone else but me...or even me.

The Tamam Shud case is intriguing and I’m always happy to read anything on the incident.

All in all a very enjoyable issue, I thought.

Absolutely gutted to hear that this is the last ever Illustrated Police News article! It's been my favourite part of the mag ever since it debuted, and I'm genuinely saddened to see it go. I think it says a lot about FT's recent decline in quality that we lose this hilarious, informative and entertaining feature...

I think the IPN series ended because Dr Jan ran out of his issues of said publication... not because it was no longer welcome.

I'm sure the good doctor will continue to contribute, he's too good to let go just because he ran out of one magazine's back issues to research.

I will miss the IPN, but what a pity that Barry Baldwin is still allowed to write such drivel! I skip over his articles in most issues, along with ghost watch - the only negatives in the magazine...

henry said:

you cant turn around for poor quality summaries of this case on youtube ... literally every top 5 weird/unsolved/unidentified etc etc cases includes it ...

I've seen scores of "5/10/17 Strangest Unsolved Mysteries/Murders" - type videos and have never come across the Tamam Shud case. I own most of the fortean-type books in the known universe, plus hundreds of fortean magazines and hundreds of true crime volumes, and I'd swear I've never heard of the name or general scenario.

Oh, well, two years ago I would have said the same of the Dyatlov Pass Incident . . .

henry said:

I've seen scores of "5/10/17 Strangest Unsolved Mysteries/Murders" - type videos and have never come across the Tamam Shud case. I own most of the fortean-type books in the known universe, plus hundreds of fortean magazines and hundreds of true crime volumes, and I'd swear I've never heard of the name or general scenario.

Oh, well, two years ago I would have said the same of the Dyatlov Pass Incident . . .

Same here - don't recall ever hearing about Tamam Shud before. Clearly it's the Mandela Effect at play. :eek:

I watched nearly all of Band of Brothers thinking Rick Gomez was Sam Rockwell

This could equally go in Strange Coincidences.

Reading this issue on the Metro home tonight I came across the piece on the French bookshop "Un Regard Moderne" in Paris. It crossed my mind I should Google where Rue Git-le-Cour was but forgot when I got home. I later left the house and went to meet my friend at a bar we regularly meet at. By chance I looked up at the street name and yep, you guessed it. Rue Git-le-Cour and I was stood right opposite the bookshop.
Screenshot_20190206_013111.JPG

Back