• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT353

I quite like the revamping of the pages of FT this issue. It has a quirkier, somehow friendlier feel.

Mine hasn't arrived. Must have gone to my mum's again.

Didn't we recently have a Gef The Talking Mongoose story a few years back?

Didn't we recently have a Gef The Talking Mongoose story a few years back?
You never know, we may have another one shortly in a few years' time.

Surely there's no need of a limit, provided that new articles add something to the mix? And this one does.

Do you think that is on purpose, so she can have a good read before handing it on to you?;)

Hahaha, possibly! Nah, this has been an ongoing issue for over a decade - the subs department seem to really struggle understanding how a gift works.

And yes, there was a Gef story within the last couple of years. I seem to remember it being pretty good.

Gef is a treasured tale from my childhood. New articles about him always take me back. I read most of the mag front to back usually (apart from Mythconceptions, Alien Zoo and the fairy and folklore columns, which are favourites I read straight away when I usually lack the time to sit and start properly), but hang it, I think I'll start with the Gef article today.

Just got my copy now - was the last Gef piece really 7 years ago?!
Looks a good issue but, let's be honest here - is it time to put the UFO columns to bed? For a few years now the subject has been dying and in this issue we have two columns neither of which actually have anything to do with it. One is about hair oil curing Kenneth Arnold's dandruff or something and the other about a cow being mistaken for an alien.
Oh wait, there's a larger article on UFOs but it looks as though it's all about a comic.

I used to LOVE the UFO mystery but it's dead now.

Like the new look, the Gef article was a scrapbook of thoughts and reports, but I never knew the little guy was originally called Jack and was a weasel until he protested. Always think the photo of him looks like a cuddly toy, it's not sleek and slender enough to be a mongoose.

As for UFOs, I can't imagine the FT dropping the subject, but it's so wrapped up in conspiracy theories now it's difficult to separate the two. Pity, I used to like the tales of space aliens dropping by for the hell of it, not because they were in league with secret governments etc.

Just got my copy now - was the last Gef piece really 7 years ago?!
Looks a good issue but, let's be honest here - is it time to put the UFO columns to bed? For a few years now the subject has been dying and in this issue we have two columns neither of which actually have anything to do with it. One is about hair oil curing Kenneth Arnold's dandruff or something and the other about a cow being mistaken for an alien.
Oh wait, there's a larger article on UFOs but it looks as though it's all about a comic.

I used to LOVE the UFO mystery but it's dead now.

Haven't got 353 yet but I like Peter Brookesmith's stuff, no matter what its about!

I just find it depressing to read UFO columns that are pretty much all about debunking the whole thing. I mean, yes, it seems fairly clear that there's nothing REAL to it, in terms of nuts and bolts craft, and probably never was - but it's still not very nice to see a myth demolished. :(
There MUST be some modern cases of abduction, or even the "Black Knight" satellite that they could write about surely? Jenny Randles just seems to talk about cases she was personally involved in and how they turned out to be nothing. A magazine about mysterious subjects that says "nothing mysterious here after all, move along" is shooting itself in the foot methinks.
Yes, there's very much a place for debunking cases but can't it be tempered with some new, interesting cases? Or is it really just a dead subject?

I do hope it's not a dead subject. I'm still holding out for something real.

These things go in cycles. All we need is to find an artefact on Mars or Titan or Europa...

I've found FT to be skull deficient for the past few issues...

I especially liked the bit about the locals stripping the ship to sell it on ebay, the ship turned out to be a google high tech balloon and that the government wouldnt have time to cover a real alien landing up as the locals would be stripping the ship and posing for selfies with the baffled alien :rofl: ' Area 51 is no match for Twitter and FB'

"Et in Arcadia ego" - a whole new meaning to the enigmatic motto in "Saucer Conutry"! And Arcadia, the US President who is abducted by aliens... is it me, or is she drawn to evoke Hilary Clinton?

Mine arrived yesterday, just in time for me to be off sick from work (pretty bad cold, too ill to go into work, as they don't want me making them ill!) - so I'm in bed reading FT (one the top ten things to do in bed, really!)

To those who liked my post - are you liking that I am ill, or that I am reading FT?!:huh:;)

Dare I ask what Razzle is, and why is it so well thumbed?!

Appreciate the offer, but a second had "relaxation" mag? Besides, I think our taste in Gentlemen's Relaxation Mags might be different!

Back