• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT357

GNC

King-Sized Canary
What do you know? They might have sorted out the subs, because I had FT 357 drop through my letterbox this morning! Five days before its street date! Will wonders never cease?

Had a look, they're taking the piss with Crowley now - or are they taking the piss out of Crowley now? Superbly illustrated, as always. The letters about the haunted 70s article were just great, mirroring the warm reception it had on here.

It's a long cartoon strip and I haven't had time to delve into it yet. Knowing Hunt Emerson's work, that's the sort of detail he loves.

For love of (insert deity name here), not another wretched Crowley story? :dhorse:

Wait a minute....Classical Corner p15, No215 "Cock A Doodle Do"....

Worryingly, I feel certain that I've either read this article, as-is, in a recent previous edition of the magazine: or, almost exactly the same content, in FT.

I mean at a level far beyond vague deja vu, more to the extent of I-swear-it's-so.

This will just've been a production/compositor error. Or tell me I'm wrong (happy to be, but if I am, there will need to be a detailed personal investigation)

For love of (insert deity name here), not another wretched Crowley story? :dhorse:

Every time Crowley turns up in FT, I begin to worry that they've not only hit the bottom of the barrel, but started digging for anything to fill in a few pages. What new thing/s about this man that hasn't been done before can be left to be said about him?! Him and John Mitchell - although there seems to have been less said about those two in previous editions...

IMG_8306.JPG
Ok last month it was two strange sentences. This month it's a very interesting conversion.

15lb/6.8km?

It's almost inverse torque...instead of lb x ft, foot.pounds (or Newton.metres) it's sort of weight (ie mass times gravitational acceleration) divided by distance.

But that analysis isn't worth a sausage....'tis a grams-to-metres mistype.

Perhaps the sausages were travelling at 6.8 KM per second?

Perhaps the sausages were travelling at 6.8 KM per second?

I don't see the link (but at that speed, it's hardly surprising :crazy:)

If so, then from High School sausage physics:
KE = 1/2 m v2
= (6800 / 2) x (6800 x 6800)
= 157.2 gigajoules
= 37.5 tons of TNT (cf this link)

This would place the sausages at the high end of the ordnance range for the yield of a battlefield nuclear device (for scale, almost twice the destructive power of the legacy Davy Crockett launcher allegedly pictured below)

250px-DavyCrockettBomb.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davy_Crockett_(nuclear_device)

( @EnolaGaia this device was totally-unknown to me. I wonder about the provenance of this picture? It looks like a very-odd device, with no actual propulsion in the munition itself, which looks much more like a small bomblet intended for aerial drop. I has assumed that a more aerodynamic shell projectile shape, or even a ball, would've outranged this finned airbrake...see also this fascinating link https://www.damninteresting.com/davy-crockett-king-of-the-atomic-frontier/ which also declares an unbeknown-to-me nuclear quotient
With the destructive power of twenty tons of TNT squeezed into a watermelon-sized package, it’s hard to outperform the Davy Crockett in terms of convenient annihilation per cubic inch (CACI)

Last edited:
I've come across that device before. It would be almost as dangerous to the troops deploying it as it would to the enemy.
Maybe that's one of the reasons they weren't rolled out to all NATO forces.

The effective destructive range of the Crockett was greater than its deployable range, it was called the Davy Crockett for a reason.

In other news this issue arrived! So didn't get any notice my sub was setup but it clearly is.

No mention of platypus (platypi?) in the Crowley cartoon, sad to say, but there's plenty more that's funny. Just seeing how Emerson draws his characters makes me laugh.

The stone throwing polt article features a man called Tedious. His parents didn't have high hopes, then?

About sex, f'r'example. His idea was that people should just, y'know, have it. Straight, gay, bi, doesn't matter as long as you're having fun. No need for guilt, it's natural. Here we are in 2017, just catching up with him.

About sex, f'r'example. His idea was that people should just, y'know, have it. Straight, gay, bi, doesn't matter as long as you're having fun. No need for guilt, it's natural. Here we are in 2017, just catching up with him.
He was right!

for me he is just like henry V111, full of show and self advertisement, knows the value of publicity, but doesn't deserve the attention they get, oo look i shag anything that moves!!! everybody pay attention to me!!!

I have been reading a lot of hilary evans recently, thats somebody who deserves a lot more publicity than the great beast.

for me he is just like henry V111, full of show and self advertisement, knows the value of publicity, but doesn't deserve the attention they get, oo look i shag anything that moves!!! everybody pay attention to me!!!

I have been reading a lot of hilary evans recently, thats somebody who deserves a lot more publicity than the great beast.

Having lived through the 70/80s, when we had the Pill, nominal female liberation and partly-legalised homosexuality, I can say that sexual liberation was still a long way round the corner.

Sex was still closely linked to procreation, within marriage only of course; men could be 'liberated' and shag around, but woe betide a woman who did the same. Gay men were persecuted by the police.

Crowley wasn't all about sex, but his attitude to it was far ahead of what most people thought back then. Not saying he was perfect, but in some ways he was ahead of his time.

Having lived through the 70/80s, when we had the Pill, nominal female liberation and partly-legalised homosexuality, I can say that sexual liberation was still a long way round the corner.

Sex was still closely linked to procreation, within marriage only of course; men could be 'liberated' and shag around, but woe betide a woman who did the same. Gay men were persecuted by the police.

Crowley wasn't all about sex, but his attitude to it was far ahead of what most people thought back then. Not saying he was perfect, but in some ways he was ahead of his time.
what did he do for fortean subjects that gets him so much attention? much deeper thinkers than him get neglected because they kept their breeches on. Get attention, get publicity, don't care if the end result is an empty nothingness as long as people NOTICE you. He would be perfect on celebrity big brother.

And no, i am not jealous or bitter, or railing against the senselessness of a world that has him shagging anything and everything, while the woman i have been after for 3 years has just said a day out yes, a holiday together no. Not bitter at all.

And no, i am not jealous or bitter, or railing against the senselessness of a world that has him shagging anything and everything, while the woman i have been after for 3 years has just said a day out yes, a holiday together no. Not bitter at all.
Kudos to you for your persistence.
If it was me, I'd give up on that one (life's too short).

What you need is a little... ritual.

We all know Crowley was a big fat manipulating fraud, and that back then, 'sexual liberation' only worked for men and left women and unlucky gay men high and dry. His secret may have been that he just had no shame. He was un-embarrassable. You can get away with a lot once you dispense with that troublesome conscience.

what did he do for fortean subjects that gets him so much attention? much deeper thinkers than him get neglected because they kept their breeches on. Get attention, get publicity, don't care if the end result is an empty nothingness as long as people NOTICE you. He would be perfect on celebrity big brother.

Congratulations Titch, your patience paid off, and who is to say that after the day out, it wont develop further, good luck :group:

the woman i have been after for 3 years has just said a day out yes, a holiday together no. Not bitter at all.

My advice, as a paid-up holder of the Vag Card: STOP. Stay away from her.

Don't be rude or unkind, just stop paying her the attention. Take up another interest.

Maybe even take the time to look harder at some of the stunning local females who are just panting to accompany you to that quaint little pub for a nice white wine and maybe a stroll along the river, smell the lovely evening flowers, watch out for a falling star...

After three years, she's already made up her mind and may be taking you for granted. You need to make her jealous!

If she sees you enjoying life without her she'll be furious and make up her mind to secure you for herself.

Try it, give it time, don't weaken. I've seen this done. :wink2:

Me too, I shave my head in the hope that I'll be mistaken for his manifestation.
Me too. I'm not really bald, just trying to look like Crowley. He must have been wearing a wig in those early photos cos he seemed to go completely bald very fast.

Have you read any of his books? Try the Hermetic Library, you can dip into his writings there for free. Obviously his ideas weren't for everyone and I don't understand WTF he's on about much of the time but I still find his writing hugely inspirational.
I completely agree he wasn't much of a person, especially as a father or partner (if you're going to read a biography on him please avoid the ones with a clear agenda against him, try Sutin's or Kacyzinski's) but I enjoy his books.

Back in the 1990s I went to a Halloween Costume Party. I shaved my head and put on a Tarot themed t-shirt and a cape, announcing that I was on a Crowley costume. I remember that almost everyone present congratulated me for my Uncle Fester impersonation. Damn...

(I should be careful in sharing a story like that : it can become another subject on the next Crowley themed feature on the magazine. Wait, what if I disguise myself as a venomous platypus... Hum....)

Back