• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT357

Fort's approach was to publicize 'real news' about strange events / phenomena. His methodological baseline was more or less set at including / noting anything that made it into newspapers.

It's now generally accepted that some of the late 19th (and even early 20th) century stuff that's 'classic Forteana' was probably generated by journalists themselves to fill up space. This was particularly common during 'Silly Season' (mid- to late-summer, when many folks were vacationing and there wasn't a lot of mainstream news traffic).

In other words, some percentage (perhaps small, but not 'zero') of the stories that Fort and others promoted in starting the paranormal / weird phenomena genre were 'fake news'.

Insofar as we're obviously immersed in fake news and general sensationalism nowadays, there's every reason to believe young folks continue to be exposed to Fortean (or Fortean-style) stories.

The biggest - and most disturbing - difference between now and back then is that there are entire cottage industries and careers based on generating, elaborating, and / or promoting such stories (and explanations for them). In other words, there are people with a vested interest in disseminating and benefiting from such tales. All the dust kicked up by these follow-on entrepreneurs makes it harder and harder to get to the original facts of a given case.

The other big problem is that younger people are being bombarded with such stuff at an unnervingly rapid pace in 'hot' media (cf. McLuhan) - meaning they aren't afforded the time to reflect on the stories / reports as we could when engaging Forteana in print.

Thank you @EnolaGaia ! This is exactly the kind of opinion I was looking for. And, yes, I understand the need of generating unfiltered news, a need that is as old as press itself. So, would it be a story of the IHTM kind more reliable? I confess that I always look for the IHTM page with antecipation when I have a new FT issue, not to mention the theads here in the Forum. It could seem a little paradoxal that first hand accounts from readers are closer to a rich discussion than a story on the press, but it seems that this is more and more true. Do I sound too radical or does it makes sense (I don"t want to sound like an involuntary troll...) ?

I too enjoy the IHTM section and it's one of the first things I read. But I think the vast majority are made up and probaly ALL of them are exaggerated whether purposely or not. I wouldn't use them as evidence for anything.

My point, exactly. If you want to create sensation on a Fortean world, sell magazines because of a clever cover, you just have to create a Benjamin-esque event like a fairy Crowley and here we go.

lol. You really think Crowley on a cover means big sales? Maybe I'll put his mug on my next book and watch the cash roll in.

... So, would it be a story of the IHTM kind more reliable? ...

With specific regard to the 'reliability' of the evidence it offers for consideration (as opposed to the 'reliability' of the story per se):

In the sense of providing an unfiltered version of the report 'from the horse's mouth' - yes.

In an interactive context (whether face-to-face or online) I'd tend to say hell yes. :evillaugh:

Provided ...

... there's no reason to suspect the informant of pranking / hoaxing / post hoc elaboration.

Sometimes having interactive access to the original informant is the only way to surface indications of fraud or exaggeration.

Phrased another way ... An IHTM story isn't inherently more 'true' than one received through a journalistic intermediary, but it can certainly give you a better starting point from which to evaluate it.

In an interactive context (whether face-to-face or online) I'd tend to say hell yes. :evillaugh:

Oh my God, I made you laugh.... :eek: A Mephistophelic laugh, en plus.

An IHTM story isn't inherently more 'true' than one received through a journalistic intermediary, but it can certainly give you a better starting point from which to evaluate it.

I'll give an exemple : on my early 20s I read Charles Berlitz's The Philadelphia Experiment and, let me tell you, it's a fantastic page-turner, so entrancing that you actually WANT to believe in the whole rollercoaster of momentous revelations. Holy Blood, Holy Grail is another fine exemple of debatable facts brilliantly wrapped. This said, I feel much more interested today by first-hand acounts, and, as you say, if we can dialogue directly with the people that present them, it's even richer. But I miss the well structured stories that Charles Berlitz, Jacques Bergier or Hans Holzer used to offer.

Crowley has no context! He was just someone with no real talent other than to dress weirdly, prance about shrieking "Give me some attention, I have not a damn thing to contribute!" - what's the point of constantly rehashing this tiresome little bottom blast?!

He's got you angry, hasn't he? :evillaugh:

Because there's more to Forteana than that flabby waste of space!

So...intial sausage testing reports that 15lb of snorkers stretches around 114m.

More if a small terrier has one end and you have a decent amount of pull. Happy to help.

So...intial sausage testing reports that 15lb of snorkers stretches around 114m.

More if a small terrier has one end and you have a decent amount of pull. Happy to help.

My big daft dog once nicked a whole string of sausages and ran off with them down the garden. They swung out behind him. He looked exactly like a cartoon dog. I was doubled up laughing.

I know, perhaps they will read the comments here and keep That Man to a minimum in the future!

I think I much prefer Phenomenomix in its shorter form. I've little appetite left for Cowley, although perhaps this month's feast will exorcise him from the pages of FT for a bit.

SD Tucker's piece on Charles Fourier is hilarious! What a delightfully potty bloke! :D

I think I much prefer Phenomenomix in its shorter form. I've little appetite left for Cowley, although perhaps this month's feast will exorcise him from the pages of FT for a bit.

SD Tucker's piece on Charles Fourier is hilarious! What a delightfully potty bloke! :D

I think that every time he appears, but months later, there he is again, like a bad smell that won't go away...

Have you read any of his books? Try the Hermetic Library, you can dip into his writings there for free. Obviously his ideas weren't for everyone and I don't understand WTF he's on about much of the time but I still find his writing hugely inspirational.
I completely agree he wasn't much of a person, especially as a father or partner (if you're going to read a biography on him please avoid the ones with a clear agenda against him, try Sutin's or Kacyzinski's) but I enjoy his books.
Call me a fat , bald, stick in the mud if you will, but i would never read anything of his, i am rereading 3 hilary evans books at the moment, lots of interesting ideas on why people have entity encounters, then i have to get to grips with the trickster and the paranormal by george p hansen, i gave up halfway through last year, but i think it has something important to say, if i can just understand what. Then i have the handbook for my parapsychology course, i am sure that has a lot of stunning and provoking things to contemplate, if i can just understand more than one sentence per page.

And then there is the fact the great bore has nothing to say about life i need to hear, i have my life philosophy from a much more elevated source.

Yes stick with Mr Hansen's book! It is excellent, I have nearly finished it. And anything by Hilary Evans is great. I have started reading the parapsychology textbook (I found the questions at the end of each chapter are really good for making me understand and assimilate what I'm reading, they really helped me - I don't know if that's a good tip for you!). I have signed up for the course too so I will see you there.

Yes stick with Mr Hansen's book! It is excellent, I have nearly finished it. And anything by Hilary Evans is great. I have started reading the parapsychology textbook (I found the questions at the end of each chapter are really good for making me understand and assimilate what I'm reading, they really helped me - I don't know if that's a good tip for you!). I have signed up for the course too so I will see you there.
:beer:

The cover for this months issue claims we'll see Crowley as we've never seen him before - Crowley as we've never seen him before would be relevant! Sadly, he is not relevant! Just a nuisance, get rid of him!:frust::frust::frust::incan::pitch:

I don't see how he is NOT relevant to discussions of the paranormal. Crowley shaped public thinking about such things, like it or not.

I don't see how he is NOT relevant to discussions of the paranormal. Crowley shaped public thinking about such things, like it or not.

He shaped public thinking in such a way that they think it's all a crackpot theory of interest to eccentrics, weirdos, tin foil hat wearers, conspiracy theory nutters and other purveyors of "alternative fact"...

Do you think that's all Crowley's fault? He was active nearly a hundred years ago.

Then there people who write about fortean subjects should forget him and write about important and influential thinkers.

Heh, I'm in danger of starting to defend Crowley's honour, when he really doesn't need my support. ;)

Heh, I'm in danger of starting to defend Crowley's honour, when he really doesn't need my support. ;)
i was beginning to wonder if you were carrying a torch for him....or maybe his kooloo mavlick

Back