• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT359

GNC

King-Sized Canary
What a nice surprise, a new FT arriving on time - this new distributor deal is working out.

It's a witchy Halloween special, haven't had a chance to delve into the articles yet, but I did read the letters page. Um... very brave to publish the missives from the "critics", especially the first one. They can't both be right!

Look forward to reading it, when it arrives....

My 358 is still AWOL - do I read 359 now or wait until 358 arrives?

do I read 359 now
Tell the Dean of Faculty that any of your submitted work won't currently include any references from 358, but that you're going to get a copy from someone else's meantime.

It'll be fine, until the tutor group sessions start.

I'd recommend that you do try and catch-up before the end of the semester.

(ps is your postal delivery person possibly a Hell's Angels biker? Or do they wear a blazer with a white edging?)

My 358 is still AWOL - do I read 359 now or wait until 358 arrives?

My advice: phone them up and tell them about it. It's worked for me before. And do it soon, before the spare 358s have run out.

My advice: phone them up and tell them about it. It's worked for me before. And do it soon, before the spare 358s have run out.
I emailed ManageMyMags - 10 days wait apparently - must be printed to order.

...very brave to publish the missives from the "critics", especially the first one. They can't both be right!

Yes - to quote Peter Cook on the similary contentious issues of sandwiches and feet: '...you shouldn't say things like that together, it could confuse a stupid person'. Maybe FT should start putting political affiliation warnings on articles so that we all know when to be offended. And maybe perforations at the margins, so that persons easily outraged by variations in political opinion can self edit their copy by tearing out the offending articles.

Aside from that, I'm really enjoying this issue, as I did the last one - hopefully we are on a roll.

The article on the stubbornness of witchcraft superstition was particularly strong, though as ever my heart goes out to those who fell victim to it over a hundred years ago when there's no longer anything that can be done, which is a weird and useless feeling. All those ostracised women facing violence, and that man who was brainwashed by years of his mother telling him he was cursed... brrr.

Got mine today, skimmed it and looks like a good issue so far, enjoying the witch bottle article.

The article about the lad on "a Christian camp" somewhere in the USA who got dragged out of his tent by a bear. i like that detail about it being a Christian Camp. it occurs to me. before the bear came along, had he taken the piss out of anyone for being bald, a pastor or a minister, perhaps? And was the bear female?

See 2 Kings: 23 - 24....

Reading mine in bed now.

The article, surprisingly relegated to page 16, "Evolution goes walkies" was utterly mind-blowing.
Apparently anatomically modern human footprints recovered from 5.7 million (yes!) year old strata on Crete, would blow away the traditional out of Africa hypothesis.

Look forward to a more detailed follow-up analysis of this astonishing news.

Here's the New Scientist article on these amazing footprints:

https://www.newscientist.com/articl...ints-suggest-we-evolved-in-europe-not-africa/

Unlike FT, NS doesn't call these modern looking, but does make the point that they were left by a bipedal hominid, walking on the soles of the feet and with a well-developed but non-opposable big toe. In this respect, they certainly look more modern than those of the more recent ardipithecus ramidus, who had an opposable big toe. Humankind's history just got a helluva lot stranger!

Good issue, the Bell Witch one looks promising for part 2, but did anyone think the Golem forum piece was the result of Googling "Golem" and listing the results?

I live in Stockport and the bit in the Witches article about eldritch goings-on in "Hollywood, Stockport" in the 1850's had me thinking - where the Hell is Hollywood? I'd vaguely heard the name before but it's no longer an "official" district of the town Did some digging: it's just south-west of what is now the town centre, not all that far away from the world-famous Viaduct. i'm betting in the 1850's it would have been in a big state of transition - a rural area then on the edge of town being swallowed up by the slums of an expanding industrial boom town. So caught between country ways and urbanisation, with a population largely fated to doing sixteen-hour days for six days of the week in grotty factories and mills, many of whom would be first-generation imigrants from the Lancashire and Cheshire countryside. So sort of culturally unstable, where old ideas might take on new shapes and really catch hold.
You could see a witch story taking off in that sort of environment.
The last survival of the old name is a nice public space called Hollywood Park, off Hardman Street.
Today it's called Edgeley, and that's still largely Victorian-era terraces with a ribbon of gentried middle-class villas off the main road down to Cheadle. Oh, and the detail about a witchbottle or other atrifact lobbed into the river Mersey to bring harm and sickening debilitating death to the crsed person. Given the Mersey in Stockport was a stinking swamp as late as the 1970's and was DEFINITELY one in the 1850's... well, you don't need witchcraft for that. The river on its own would have been enough!

I emailed ManageMyMags - 10 days wait apparently - must be printed to order.
hey - we both got our avatars from exactly the same place. (goes away humming time everlasting - time to play b-sides... )

A good issue, strange how the ghost and poltergeist articles failed to interest me, but all the witch articles did and i really enjoyed the fortean traveller, i am not sure how much of the play will REALLY be ancient tradition but it looks like good fun, and being forced to drink pints can only be good.
The fortean times seems quite right wing to me, so i was surprised to read the eloquent and thoughtful letter suggesting they were politically slightly to the left, it would seem they have the balance right if everybody is moaning about bias.

That white dog with itself on its ear....imagine if the replica on the ear had ANOTHER image on ITS ear, and that one had another......
Missed opportunity there God!

Enjoyable issue. Loved the Bell Witch article, and the other witch articles. The forum piece about the kobold was a fun distraction. Enjoyed all the regular columns. What the heck was Phenomenomix all about this issue?:dunno:

Someone in the IHTM section has had the same experience as myself! The tear in reality one is just like something that happened to me many years ago - and which was my first ever post on these message boards :cat:

Enjoyable issue. Loved the Bell Witch article, and the other witch articles. The forum piece about the kobold was a fun distraction. Enjoyed all the regular columns. What the heck was Phenomenomix all about this issue?:dunno:

I also enjoyed the Bell Witch piece but I listened to a Monster Talk podcast a couple of weeks ago that totally debunked the Bell Witch. Apparently there's no evidence for any of it being true. Still a good tale though.
And yes, Phenomenomix baffled me too.

Someone in the IHTM section has had the same experience as myself! The tear in reality one is just like something that happened to me many years ago - and which was my first ever post on these message boards :cat:

*taps foot*

You know you want to. :D

A good issue, strange how the ghost and poltergeist articles failed to interest me, but all the witch articles did and i really enjoyed the fortean traveller, i am not sure how much of the play will REALLY be ancient tradition but it looks like good fun, and being forced to drink pints can only be good.
The fortean times seems quite right wing to me, so i was surprised to read the eloquent and thoughtful letter suggesting they were politically slightly to the left, it would seem they have the balance right if everybody is moaning about bias.

Yes, enjoyed the two letters complaining about the "left wing bias" - I find it refreshing after hearing Trump rant his right wing bias!

Just received this issue, and issue 358 today, and issue 360 is due out Thursday. What is going on here?!

Just received this issue, and issue 358 today, and issue 360 is due out Thursday. What is going on here?!
I've just received issue 359 November 2017 in the post today and it's September 2018 now!. Still, mustn't grumble. Is this a new record for a late FT magazine send?.

Do they have a promotional offer for people to sample a random back-issue? In which case, the database may have got dementia. :dunno:
It was my Mum who bought me the subscription as a Christmas present, someone messed up something and she went to town on it on the phone and someone in the office apologised to her and kindly said I'd be sent a free copy as a compensation from memory .. I can't remember all of the details but somehow that's eventually come to fruition lol ..

(I think I might already own this issue anyway, the front cover of the X Ray looking witch bottle looks familiar)

I would have preferred to get a T Shirt, a mug or one of those pens with the mini post it notes they used to send out instead but never mind ..

Last edited:
Back