• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT361

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
Got this just now, don't know if i will get around to reading it, i still have several others to read

The politics of monsters: A hidden history of fear from Nazi vampires to capitalist zombies
there is an exclusive interview with Guillermo Del Toro
Paranormal Rangers:X Files on the Dulce reservation
Myths over Miami: The devil went down to Florida
Delinquent Altruism: Random acts of kindness
Musical hallucinations
New pyramid mystery
Robot religion
The JFK files
A ghost-tory for christmas
Russel Kirk the haunted traditionalist
Hopping horror: In search of Ohio's loveland frogman

Nice piece about the social implications of our fictional monsters, and I agree with the lament that the transition to human monsters like psychopathic killers means we've lost something in our culture, a little imagination and allegory never go amiss. I'm not always a fan of Del Toro, but I do admire his dedication to presenting actual monsters as weird creatures, and am looking forward to his Black Lagoon variant.

But that forum article on the mythology of Miami - what the hell? I've no idea how accurate it is, but it sounds like something dreamt up on Reddit to amuse bored minds. If it's in any way true... sheesh.

This was a solid issue, although few things really stood out to me as highlights. I enjoyed every page, but I've forgotten most of it! Though I was mildly entertained by it, the article 'On the Trail of the Loveland Frogman' didn't really seem very necessary. It was neither in depth, nor presented anything new on the subject. Perhaps I'm being unkind; maybe mild entertainment is purpose in itself. The articles about the politics of monsters, and New Mexico UFO conference were both very interesting.

Looks like a good issue so far, was pleased to see my letter featured in IHTM, about my mum's encounter with a little person in Ireland.

It made me think of this, the Argus Pheasant. Not saying it was one mind you, it very likely was a fairy if it was near Cork.

4385281071_e3b0b3d70c_z.jpg

My evil nemesis WHSmiths has now taken its monthly pissing about with the placement of Fortean Times to a fiendish new level. Visiting a branch which last month had put the mag in the business / current affairs-y section (which has now been relocated) I fought for space in the impossibly narrow aisles with fellow literature fans and a variety of small vehicles before eventually finding it amongst the sci-fi / fantasy publications...but this was the previous issue - no sign of #361!

Assuming there'd been a distribution problem due to the weather I'd given up when it occurred to me to wonder if they'd put the latest issue somewhere different just for a laugh. Sure enough (and admittedly not too far away)....

WHS skullduggery_FTMB.png

Utter madness.

Does anyone look at this issue's headline and think "The Politics of Monsters! The politics of ooh... feeling good!"?

The article about American Indian takes on UFO's, Bigfoot and secret places was interesting... although I did wonder if there was an element of "Let's have a joke at the expense of those gullible white people who think we're wise, innately mystical, and in communion with the secrets of the Universe. What sort of ancient myths and legends, lost in the mists of time, can we think up over a few beers? Hey, good idea, Sancho Cuchillo Rojo. Think you can scratch a few convincing looking carvings on a rock somewhere for them to look at? this Bigfoot thing, or something? And listen, guys. We've got to get the story straight and tell it to them with an absolutely straight face. Anyone sniggers, right, we've lost it. We can have a laugh about it later on the rez."

Still waiting for my copy to arrive, and I doubt I will see it this side of New Years Day...

Still waiting for my copy to arrive, and I doubt I will see it this side of New Years Day...

That's a pity, because there's a Christmas article in it. You'll have to save that bit for next year's festivities.

That's a pity, because there's a Christmas article in it. You'll have to save that bit for next year's festivities.
Bugger that, I'll read it on Easter Sunday!

ACE! .. I've had a years subscription to FT magazine as one of my presents :) ... that's a whole extra year of not knowing what the hell's actually going on these days .. in Colour ! (don't let me down Stuneville, Santa doesn't take 'passengers') ..

:fetish:

I found the sleeptalking bit in Sidelines to be funny...

How can everyone gorge themselves on FT so irresponsibly? I have to try and eke mine out to make them last until the next issue.

As an example, at the time of writing (31.12.17) I'm just about to start reading Touching the Void: Mysteries of the Great Pyramid in the Christmas issue.

Shame on you gluttons!

maximus otter

I thought it was weird that the first film reviewed in the film review section appeared to just be an average drama with no fortean content, which made me wonder why it was included in the first place.

And on the strange deaths page, the dude who got shot 15 times up the back door was a terrifying fate to befall anybody.

One of the joys of FT is that you can return to an old back-number a long time later and still find something new. in this one, it was the article about people who are plagued with ear-worms and music they can't get out of their heads; the account of people who have God Save the Queen stuck on a repating loop in their heads and cannot shift it.

Not that long ago there was a TV retrospective on Spike Milligan on what would have been his 100th birthday. One the Q sketches the BBC chose to repeat was this one - about people who get the national anthem stuck in their heads and who, in an earlier Britian, feel bound by custom to stand to attention and salute.... Milligan has a mad scientist invent a pill that causes people to hallucinate GSTQ, albeit with side effects, and the sketch escalates to a hospital ward full of loonies who all have the condition and for whom the only theapy is a wooden mallet.

This was around 1970. Is it possible the mad genius that was Spike knew something we didn't? Comedy taking its cue from life?

The earworm / stuck tune syndrome phenomenon was noted, and played upon, much earlier.

It was the central focus of Mark Twain's 1876 short story 'A Literary Nightmare' (later published as 'Punch, Brothers, Punch!' This is the earliest documented reference to the phenomenon of which I'm aware.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Literary_Nightmare

Back