• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT370

Sir Pat always had a bit of the prankster about him - and a high regard for other people's (and presumably his own) eccentricity. Still remember him interviewing the guy who claimed to speak Venusian and other extraterrestrial lingos. Classic TV moment.

On the other hand, he did report (in a letter to New Scientist) what he believed to be a meteorite impact and gave a brief description of an associated crop circle in 1963 http://silentcircle.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/5695661.png

Got mine today, and after a quick flick through it looks like there is some interesting stuff in this one. This month's Building A Fortean Library article looks like a good read, as does Randles' UFO Casebook. Was pleased to see my letter, 'Robin Portent' featured, and on page 73! My group's (gematria motto) number o_O

Horrific mistake in the book reviews on page 63.
FT refers to the town of Bodmin, famous for its haunted gaol (the original spelling is also preferable to the American "jail") as being in Devon!
You don't have to be a Mebyon Kernow to know that Bodmin is in Cornwall.

Last edited:
Horrific mistake in the book reviews on page 63.
FT refers to the town of Bodmin, famous for its haunted gaol (the original spelling is also preferable to the American "jail") as being in Devon!
You don't have to be a Menyon Kernow to know that Bodmin is in Cornwall.
Mebyon :)

Does anyone else have any odd rituals re the FT?

I can't finish reading the previous copy until the new issue has arrived. So I'm still deep in #369 and 370 isn't out of the plastic yet. I'll read *most* of 369, unwrap 370 and read the headlines and skim through, THEN finish 369, and only then will I start to read 370 in depth, by which time 371 should be on its way.

No idea why I do this...

Does anyone else have any odd rituals re the FT?

I can't finish reading the previous copy until the new issue has arrived. So I'm still deep in #369 and 370 isn't out of the plastic yet. I'll read *most* of 369, unwrap 370 and read the headlines and skim through, THEN finish 369, and only then will I start to read 370 in depth, by which time 371 should be on its way.

No idea why I do this...

Almost like a literary completist, not a bad thing! I do similar things. There are certain sections/articles which I always have to read first, usually UFO Casebook, the Forum and Letters.

Read editorial, read Mythconceptions, read sidelines, read letters, read articles (main and forum), read regulars and Strange Days, read reviews, read cartoon, read Strange Deaths. I also check the next issue details first.

I think my subscription has come to an end, so I've tried renewing it, but cannot fathom the renewal section of the website!

I picked it up idly in Tesco for a quick thumb-through, intrigued by the Edinburgh coffins on the cover. Then I saw there was a feature on Southport weirdness, so I had to have it! :cheer:

I picked it up idly in Tesco for a quick thumb-through, intrigued by the Edinburgh coffins on the cover. Then I saw there was a feature on Southport weirdness, so I had to have it! :cheer:
Fortean Times is being stocked by Tesco nowadays ? .. I'm impressed ! .. our local supermarkets only stock stuff approved by Simon Cowell or 35p magazines with the word rape featured prominently on the front covers.

Their Cheetham Hill branch is a horrible store, full of the rudest people known to humanity*. Customers, chiefly.

It is, however, just down the road and there are sometimes bargains to be had. :party:

*Me, for a start!

Their Cheetham Hill branch is a horrible store, full of the rudest people known to humanity*. Customers, chiefly.

I've had plenty of bad experiences with Tesco, the Southbourne, Dorset Tesco Express is terrible, rude, ignorant staff and one of them can even be aggressive to customers for no apparent reason, awful place to shop.

I've had plenty of bad experiences with Tesco, the Southbourne, Dorset Tesco Express is terrible, rude, ignorant staff and one of them can even be aggressive to customers for no apparent reason, awful place to shop.
My local Tesco has a rather large woman who is usually rude to me. She's polite and even chatty with other customers, but when I get to the till she's quite offhand and seems angry with or at me. Dunno why, I've never been rude to her. I stopped going to her till.
In Sainsbury's, I've mysteriously created an enemy. A youngish woman who doesn't seem that bright serves on the Lottery till. I've stopped going there for my tickets as I have encountered high levels of aggression from her. Encountered her the other day in the car park and she gave me a hateful look. Again, I have done nothing to deserve this.

I'm a decent chap and I have avoided reporting these two to the shop manager. Obviously, they have something going on in their lives that makes them do this.

I turn to the back page first, to see what's in the next issue and when it's out. no idea why.
Which brings me to a complaint: I see that the John Keel in Hollywood article that was supposed to be in this one is postponed until 371. I was looking forward to it, as the picture used is of kiddie show host Chuck McCann, who I grew up watching in New York. Keel was a writer for his show.

On another note, did anyone else notice the out-of-place sentence in the Watson ghost photo story on page 20? The reference to the back seat and a daughter probably belong in the Kurtz ghost photo story on the next page.

I found the letter about (Fergus/Feargus/Froggy) F. Gwynplaine MacIntyre very interesting. I first discovered him in an FT from a few years back which featured the news of his death. Whilst I haven't read any of his work yet I am fascinated by his life story and the mystery surrounding him. Especially interesting to learn he was an extra in The Prisoner, a favourite of mine (and probably most of us here!). He can be seen wearing a Prisoner style jacket in a few of the photos of him in later life.

Would be great to see a full article devoted to his story in a future FT.

Hang on, doesn't the new issue arrive tomorrow (13 September)? Surely someone is lucky enough to have their copy arrive first, or have they all been taken away by thieving goblin bastards?

Hang on, doesn't the new issue arrive tomorrow (13 September)? Surely someone is lucky enough to have their copy arrive first, or have they all been taken away by thieving goblin bastards?

Just received mine. Ner-ner ne-ner-ner!

maximus otter

I thought the monk photo was OK, but the creepy kids just looked like people the photographer hadn't noticed were standing/sitting behind them.

The monk photo, seems obvious to me that it is a woman who was walking on the top level of the castle, up the stairs. Black cardigan, dark hair, I feel like I can almost see the strap of a dark handbag running from left shoulder to right waist.

A look on Googlemaps shows that the area at the top of where the stairs are is a footpath so other visitors would be walking in that area.

One could presume Dad snaps a few pics, not really paying attention to the surroundings but looking at the screen, or perhaps unable to see what is on the screen due to glare/reflection, looks up and doesn't see anyone - for she has strolled on. Thus when later reviewing the pictures her appearance is a shock.

The boy with the creepy child behind the tree...

Something is not right here. Looks like a bad Photoshop effort to me.

There is a brown line behind the boy around his face which the 'ghost' is behind. It's not obvious to me what that could be.

The ghost itself looks too much like a stock picture of a possessed child.

Or more likely a child they did not notice was there passing behind the tree when the shot was taken.

In fact, looking at the full pictures on the Daily Mail website...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...hilling-photo-ghost-child-Northumberland.html

There is clearly another person with the group, not up the tree, dark hair and carrying a dog.

I would surmise the person seen in the fourth picture holding the dog, was behind the tree when the ghost pic was taken. The white area proposed as the ghost's hand on the boy's shoulder is the fur of the dog she is carrying, lit up by sunlight.

Last edited:
And may as well look at the backseat ghost one as well...

Very good analysis here:
https://www.metabunk.org/threads/ex...n-the-back-seat-photo-with-occams-razor.8156/

Presume it is a physical child who was in the car and parent is either confusing the Ed return trip with the outbound - direction of travel is opposite to what is proposed, some amazing Google Map work done in the above link.

Either that or the parent is wilfully lying for attention.

Not that I'm slagging off FT these days (it's still mostly in a class of its own), this issue is more like the early to mid 90's style FT and crammed with all sorts of goodies, more of your 'traditional' type of Forteana.

Agreed, that was a fine issue. I'm slowly catching up, I hope this trend continues...

the "Fake Red Indian" article raises interesting issues of identity and heritage. There's a legend in mty family that if you go back to great-grandparents, one of my great-grandfathers was born Jewish and married out to a gentile. Does that 1/16 possibly Jewish make me a Jew and from this distance, does it matter? I came to the conclusion a long time ago that even if it is correct, it would change nothing and wouldn't matter a damn. (Except for the fact the only person who would consider being 1/16 Jewish is important enough to matter was, of course, Heinrich Himmler) . Being 1/16 Irish doesn't qualify me for a passport, alas.(I have inquired). But the thing is - nobody knows for sure. And this is going back four generations in a family living in one of the best recorded socieities on Earth. So what if, in the USA while it was still forming and record-keeping was haphazard, native Americans married into white families, and no record was kept except family legend? Would some of those fake Indians actually have a little Indian after all - but not be able to prove it? And if it could be proven, would that allow them some recognition? Where does an ancestor of another ethnicity make a difference? 1/16? 1/8? 1/4?

While it doesn't address your general question about what percentage makes you so-and-so, I believe I can answer your query about being a Jew. My understanding is that (among those who do care about such things) you are automatically a Jew if your mother was a Jew. Since the possibly Jewish ancestor was a man, the answer is no.

You could always convert....

I like bacon and the full seafood selection too much.... and all the lesser-known things about keeping kashrut are daunting, too. (Like beef stroganoff? Meat in a cream sauce? And what's wrong with that great English dessert, trifle? Can't go wrong with trifle... errr... if animal-based gelatine went into the jelly as a setting agent, it's most likely to be pork-derived.... at least smoky bacon and prawn cocktail crisps are permitted, as these two flavours never went anywhere near a living pig or prawn at any point. But G-d help you if you want roast chicken, as the flavouring agent for this crisp flavour - yes, comes off a pig.)

As i say, I asked - would this make an objective diference to anybody except Heinrich Himmler were it to turn out to be true - and the answer is "no". The matrilinear thing is crucial, and anyway I don't feel "drawn" to Judaism.

But Britain is one of the best documented nations on earth for public and family records. If my family have got difficulties in conclusively proving the ethnicity of a great-grandparent one way or the other, a generation so relatively close to us in time - then imagine the USA in the 1800's.

You might get a young man with a romantic imaginative streak who's heard a family rumour that great grand-daddy was a Shoshone Indian, but "we don't like to noise that around too much as the one-drop rule applies", or else we think it's true, but there's no paperwork to prove it. And, well, maybe some of the fakers might not have been totally faking it after all. Which is like me noting that if 1/16 of my genetic identity comes from cCunty Dublin, or is it Carlow, or is it Kildare, and despite my never really having been there much above once or twice, posing as Irish... a tiny bit of fire and an awful ot of smoke.

Last edited:
Back