• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT375

So, just in time for you to have a Happy New Year!

Got mine yesterday, had a fair look at it today, read the letters page anyway (which seemed to include more annoyed people than usual, sad to say). The IHTM bloke certainly hit the jackpot - three stories, one after the other! Will see about the articles over the weekend. Lovely to read the Marvel letter in the editorial, that must have taken some excavation.

Plenty of spirit photography from a century ago this issue, but... does anyone find them remotely convincing now? They look as fake as can be. That Abraham Lincoln one is ridiculous. Is it damning that nobody offers spirit photography as a service these days?

Gotta congratulate SD Tucker for the sheer volume of poo-based puns in his Doctor Poolittle article. Just when I thought he'd exhausted them, there were more to come. It was kind of metaphorical by the end.

Got mine yesterday, looking good so far, doing my usual first reading ritual, Randles/IHTM/Strange Deaths.

That sidebar picture of Madame Blavatsky on page 56... it has finally dawned on me why she and Aleistar Crowley were never seen together in the same place. Damn, this could be a best-selling work of research, done with the expected degree of diligent fact-checking, crossed-finger conjecture and hope that if it's sensational enough, nobody's going to call me out on my assertions... take a close look. That's Aleistar Crowley in drag and an unconvincing wig. It is so obvious... every so often he dragged up, put on a persona, and spread the Great Work in his distaff incarnation. Perfect. now all I need o do is write it and get a publisher interested.... ka-CHING! $$$$ and £££ and hopefully quite a few €€€€...

Okay, so I'm late to the party as usual (blame my habit of not being allowed to start my new FT before I've finished the old one and having been away) and I'm boggling at the sidelines story titled 'Bloodsuckers', where some bloke 'caught his three dogs, a pregnant hen and a female cat' to drink their blood.

Ummm... hen - bird - lay eggs....surely?

Okay, so I'm late to the party as usual (blame my habit of not being allowed to start my new FT before I've finished the old one and having been away) and I'm boggling at the sidelines story titled 'Bloodsuckers', where some bloke 'caught his three dogs, a pregnant hen and a female cat' to drink their blood.

Ummm... hen - bird - lay eggs....surely?
One definition of "pregnant" from Merriam-Webster is "abounding in fancy, wit, or resourcefulness" with "inventive" as a synonym. Maybe it was a very clever chicken.

Gah! I'm in Canada and usually get my issue a month or so behind.:huh:

Back