• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT383

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Just dropped through the letterbox. Little early isn’t it?

Yes... I got mine just after 10:00 - but that's down to the postie isn't it?

Looks particularly good this month - Manson and Tate murders, Temple of Satan, Red River Dave - yes there's a theme going.
But also bonkers bets, Jack Kirby, Super Centenarians, and - it had to happen - our new Prime Minister in the Strange Statesmen column.

Yes... I got mine just after 10:00 - but that's down to the postie isn't it?

Looks particularly good this month - Manson and Tate murders, Temple of Satan, Red River Dave - yes there's a theme going.
But also bonkers bets, Jack Kirby, Super Centenarians, and - it had to happen - our new Prime Minister in the Strange Statesmen column.

Sounds good! I still haven't got the FT382 sub copy. Only go a a copy cause I had a review in it. Sub problems continue.

Charles Manson, the temple of satan and the worlds weirdest bets , i doubt this issue will live long in my memory

Only received 382 this past week. Looking forward to 383, lots of interest there. May be time to re-read Helter Skelter again.

Sounds good! I still haven't got the FT382 sub copy. Only go a a copy cause I had a review in it. Sub problems continue.
Where do you live? I live in Sweden and I don´t have any problems with the subscription. It can take days or weeks, but no problem..

Nils Grande has died, his letters where always interesting.

I lay in bed and read it all, no interruptions, and I loved it all, usually I have work or something so usually only read bits and bobs

Got mine a couple of days ago, enoying it so far, haven't spotted anything I don't like. But I'm easily pleased! Good IHTM stories too.

Yes, the disappearing pub IHTM reminded me of our transdimensional gas station. Though I suspect he simply wasn't where he thought he was. However you would do that...

Yes, the disappearing pub IHTM reminded me of our transdimensional gas station. Though I suspect he simply wasn't where he thought he was. However you would do that...

There is a similar story I read a few weeks ago in Borderlands by Mike Dash, I'm sure it's the same one mentioned in the Editor's note to this FT's IHTM story.

Borderlands is a great book! Wish there was a sequel.

My copy arrived today, but haven't had a chance to read much other than the Strange Deaths page...

My suspicion is he thought the pass over blea tarn (the one before wrynose pass if you're walking through from great langdale) was wrynose pass, and they headed in the Old Dungeon Ghyll - a walkers pub known for it's spartan interior, and about 100 yards down a track to the right

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/the-old-dungeon-ghyll.html

Probably looks a bit grander than a farmhouse, but i'm not sure if it's been extended - the slate bit looks new

My suspicion is he thought the pass over blea tarn (the one before wrynose pass if you're walking through from great langdale) was wrynose pass, and they headed in the Old Dungeon Ghyll - a walkers pub known for it's spartan interior, and about 100 yards down a track to the right

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/the-old-dungeon-ghyll.html

Probably looks a bit grander than a farmhouse, but i'm not sure if it's been extended - the slate bit looks new

Yes, I'm guessing you have some local knowledge? That would make sense - you could e-mail the mag with your explanation.

Well, I'm from cumbria and camped a few times in that area but I'm no wainwright bagger. We did once camp on wrynose pass by accident (the radiator on one of our cars gave up), and it is indeed a lot bleaker than great langdale which is fairly pastoral on the valley floor. As the writer noted it seemed a lot bleaker than he remembered too that also got me thinking about where he could have originally been.

Good intuitive work, nonetheless. Thanks.

The features in this issue were mainly a flip through for me. I prefer more classical fortean topics. I don't care about a guy who wrote weird songs. The Manson article was weak. Is Satanism Fortean? Kind of interesting but seems off-topic.

I was sad to read about Nils Grande. His letters were always a highlight of the letters pages. :(

Bit late, but just catching up.

Mythconceptions - Mythchaser. Did victorian corsets make women faint?

I can only speak from my own experience. I have made and worn victorian corsets. The wasp waisted ones, pulled as tight as possible, (5 inch waist reduction) did not make me faint, but they did make me wet myself. Wearing one of these is an extraordinarily strange experience, its like some one has rearranged your intestines.
The Edwardian S-bend corsets give me terrible back ache.

Any compression around the rib cage can make breathing difficult, and I could imagine that it may make someone faint. However, in my opinion, this compression can be minimised by cutting the pattern so that it compresses the waist and the lower ribs only, and allows for the expansion of the upper ribs. The silhouette is like this }{. Of course, if you are going for the V shaped upper body silhouette, then there may be problems as the natural shape of the rib cage is rarely that neat.

It is also my opinion that every one has a different body shape. The underpinnings that create a fashionable silhouette push the body into certain postures depending on the desired effect. What may be comfortable for one may be torturous for another.

If someone is forcing themselves into an unsuitable corset it will inevitably effect the workings of their body, it could certainly cause someone to faint. A well fitting corset, that doesn't make ridiculous demands on the host body shouldn't be a problem.

I've been reading the Stephen Davis biography of Jim Morrison, who could perhaps be described as a mixed-up kid who was hard to love who grew up into a seriously messed up adult who was even harder to love - a sociopathic high-IQ intellectual genius, yes, but otherwise a bit of a waste of space. Maybe if he'd lived it might have evened out, especially as it was obvious the Doors weren't going to last very much longer and the shark-jumping moment was looming on the horizon - take him out of the public eye and allow him to sink into obscurity, and who knows?

Anyway... Morrison did hang around with people who were on the fringes of the Manson Family (Davis tells an unedifying story of a group of Family members who turned up at a Doors recording sesssion, invited by Morrison, and behaved extremely badly), and Morrison himself was questioned by police after the Sharon Tate thing; no suggestion he did meet Manson or interact with him (but there are lots of "lost weekends" in the Morrison story).

What brings the association to mind is the photo of Charles M which appears on page 35 of this FT: at first I thought it was Jim Morrison in his bearded and unkempt 1970-71 "LA Woman" period. It isn't, of course; the man seen here is older and more raddled. But the resemblence gets you, at first glance.

The thought is - what saved Jim Morrison when he was behaving appalingly badly, thoughtlessly, narcissistically, and basically trampling on people - was his presence, charm, charisma, his ability to hold a room and get people onside regardless of what stinking thing he'd done to them and for them to allow it because they were clearly in the presence of greatness and genius and they were lesser creations. What if Charles Manson had the same drive and characteristics - but because he wasn't as blessed with looks and genius, he had a far smaller stage to express his own personality on? A sort of poundshop Jim Morrison who really went to the bad?

Davis does tell a story of Jim Morrison returning to LA after a "lost weekend" where he admitted he'd been roaming in the desert outside LA, hitching rides, bumming around, hookin' up with "some people"... the friend he was confiding to noticed Morrison seemed shaken up, not his usual detached self, as if something had really got through to him - Jim Morrison seemed oddly subdued, even guilty. Eventually Morrison admitted he and the people he'd hooked up with had "killed this guy and buried him out in the desert, man" - but he refused to say any more than that and changed the subject. The friend, who knew Morrison well enough, knew he had a habit of making up totally untrue tales on the spur of the moment and watching how people responded. But this didn't feel like the usual Jim Morrison-as-Walter-Mitty.... Morrison never referred to this again, and the tale is left hanging with no further reference. (This was maybe a month or two before the Tate-LaBianca murders. oddly coincidental).

Also... a still unsolved murder possibly linked to Manson and the Family concerns a Canadian girl who, on a visit to LA, got incredibly excited because she'd met a guy who claimed to be Jim Morrison. She returned to LA, having told her family where she'd be and where she'd be staying, as she had contact numbers for "Jim Morrison". She never returned; her body was discovered quite a few weeks later, buried on waste ground nearby to a Manson Family-connected address in LA. Murder by "Jim Morrison"?

In the weird bets piece, the man who bet on the day of his wife's death only for that day to come 10 years later and the journalist following up finding no record of the man or his wife ever existing is somewhat spooky - if not most likely explainable in the most mundane manner.

Curiously when reading the piece I was sure the name Graham Sharpe of William Hill rung a bell, by the end of the piece I remembered when I first started out on the sports desk of a news agency his contact was in our list for verifying any betting odds being offered.

Back