• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT387

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Ghost stories for Christmas! Charles Dickens, MR James and BBC supernatural telly!

maximus otter

Is it just me or does the cover feel all nice and glossy more than is normal?

Mine is here! This postie can live another month. Looks a good issue.

Sad coincidence with Jonathan Miller dying - he pretty much invented the BBC's Ghost Story for Christmas.

The picture of colonel halt on page 28, has he just been caught masturbating in public?

The Jesus headlines made oi larf.

The Ghost Stories for Christmas article reminded me my friend has the lot on DVD, and I wonder if I can borrow them? Might hold out for a Blu-ray set, come on, BFI.

With his secular Christmas card, Hunt Emerson has surpassed himself this issue.

Get well soon, Simon Young! Hope you survive the fairy curse.

It was nice to see the Christmas issue in so early in Easons. I'd totally forgotten that it came out earlier at this time of year. As I've been busy with work I still haven't had a chance to read any of it yet but I hope to rectify that soon!

No podcast section, unless I missed it on my skim through, but the Scarfolk nonsense gets 2 pages? Is this going to be a regular column?

With his secular Christmas card, Hunt Emerson has surpassed himself this issue.

Yes. I hadn't heard of the Tió de Nadal tradition before - a sort of scatalogical piñata.
Liked the Christmas ghost story stuff, but quite a lot of filler in there too.

Last edited:
I've just got back from a doctors appointment at Cromer surgery, sitting in the waiting room I sat next to a pile of magazines until my name was called up, started to ruffle through the expected crap like TAKE A BREAK and instead found the last two issues of Fortean Times .. sometimes I nick the science mags but I decided to leave the two FT mags there .. because I've already got them .. I should have asked my doctor who left them there but I forgot to mention it.

I've just got back from a doctors appointment at Cromer surgery, sitting in the waiting room I sat next to a pile of magazines until my name was called up, started to ruffle through the expected crap like TAKE A BREAK and instead found the last two issues of Fortean Times .. sometimes I nick the science mags but I decided to leave the two FT mags there .. because I've already got them .. I should have asked my doctor who left them there but I forgot to mention it.

Yes, that would be an unusual magazine to find in a doctor's surgery, I would say. Whoever provided them to the surgery is obviously a person of the utmost good taste!

Last edited:
I just noticed page 22 says the ghost of Thomas Becket haunted the Tower of London in 1140. Truly a paranormal event, since that was 30 years before he died!

Maybe it has something to do with the Julian calendar. :dunno:

I just noticed page 22 says the ghost of Thomas Becket haunted the Tower of London in 1140. Truly a paranormal event, since that was 30 years before he died!

Maybe it has something to do with the Julian calendar. :dunno:
Or his ghost exists backwards in time!

To be serious for a moment:

I've often speculated that - since time is a quality of this universe, and it's not universally constant, that time does not exist in the afterlife. Therefore, if ghosts are actually manifestations of spirits in the afterlife, there may be no reason for them to manifest only after death.

To be serious for a moment:

I've often speculated that - since time is a quality of this universe, and it's not universally constant, that time does not exist in the afterlife. Therefore, if ghosts are actually manifestations of spirits in the afterlife, there may be no reason for them to manifest only after death.

Now that's as good an explanation for that mistake in the Fortean Times as we're likely to get! :)

My copy of this issue arrived today...:pitch:

Back