• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT171

elvissa

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Loquacious Animals

I loved the bit in FT 171 about talking animals. I am convinced that my cat says 'hello'. Conveniently, 'hello' sounds a bit like 'miaow', which probably explains it.

One of my cats, F.A., once looked at me and said 'Hiya!'

I said 'Hiya!' back and he walked off to the corner of the room and said 'Hiya!' again.

Then he went off and said 'Hiya!' in every room of the house. I followed him, very curious and laughing my head off, until he said a very long 'Hiyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!' and vomited up a HUGE tapeworm.

I then said 'Hiyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaauuuurghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh'.............

Tapeworm - nice....

My dog argues in the stylee of Scooby Doo when told off.

My cats just ignore me.

My dog relies entirely on the power of facial expression. Unfortunate, 'cos I'd like to talk to her about things in more depth.

I take it that you don't talk to your dog on the telephone, then?

I think my cat saying hello might be because everytime I see him I say 'hello', so maybe he thinks that's his name! ;)

My dog answers to 'dog', 'you', 'idiot' and 'noisy git' as well as her name. Yes, I fall out with my dog a lot.

Shock to the System (FT171)

This article is one of the strangest I have ever read. 2000 volt overloads occured in a cottage in Somerton, Somerset, but SWEB (the local electricity board) could not explain or cure it, even after much research.

Scientists, technicians and paranormal researchers all investigated, and more mysterious agencies got involved (MIB style). The son of the family was arrested (why?), but released without charge, and then it was denied the arrest took place!

All the more fascinating since this took place just a couple of counties away from here, not on the other side of the world! Somerton is within a few miles of places like Glastonbury and Silbury Hill, but otherwise seems unremarkable. (Although 'The Monocled Mutineer was filmed thereabouts!)

There is also a webpage (not mentioned in FT) about Bill Love, the author, although sadly none of the pics show up:
http://www.truthseekers.freeserve.co.uk/truth/TR13VOLTS.HTM
However, it does contain details not in the article, eg mysterious appearances of boiling water, objects teleporting, etc.

Well weird!

Yes, I agree. It was one of the best and most unusual articles I have read in FT for a long time.

From the report, it seems obvious there's some kind of cover-up going on. My initial thought was some kind of underground military encryption/radar station, or one that has the house in its immediate line of sight. Just speculation though, obviously :)

Somerton is near a couple of other famous sites in English history.
Athelney, the retreat of King Alfred, is a few miles west, and a short way north of Athelney is the site of the Battle of Sedgemoor, where the rebel Monmouth was defeated. His followers were supressed by Judge Jeffries in the Bloody Assizes.

And an early English king came from Somerton!
It is in the fight for the security of the throne that Somerset comes chiefly into history. It was here that a boy named Ina was taken from a farm to win supremacy over all England south of London.
Ina, our Somerset king, appears to have been chosen much as they choose the Dalai Lama today; he was looking after his father's oxen when he was taken from the farm at Somerton and made king, becoming supreme in the South a hundred years before Alfred. His was a remarkable reign, for he issued a series of laws (drawn up by his bishops and aldermen with the witan and a great assembly of people) which are among the earliest expressions of humanity in English legislation. They show great change brought about by Christianity in the treatment of the conquered. Ina was a benefactor of Glastonbury, and the first king to give rights to Welshmen.
( Link )
Nothing to do with voltage surges, but interesting!
:)

http://www.truthseekers.freeserve.co.uk/

Despite the extremely "cranky" design, that site has some interesting other stuff... the forthcoming guide to secret RAF stations looks interesting, although it strikes me as a bit stupid climbing down into a secret, operational underground surveillance station (photos section).

How to get microwaved/mauled/shot dead in one easy lesson...

A Clue? :confused:

Just looked at an OS Map program, and just a mile south of Somerton is an array of radio aerials....! (Don't know if they were there in the late 80s, though.)

Aerial array

I lived in Compton Dundon near Somerton in 1984 and they were there then. This story was covered in local papers in quite a lot of detail at the time.

Clue may be Red Herring!

It seems the aerials are RECEIVING aerials for the world famous Portishead radio service for shipping (now somewhat overshadowed by Satellite comms).
The antenna systems in use at Portishead Radio consist of omnidirectional transmitting aerials (for Morse code and Telex operation and rotateable log periodic (RLP) directional antennas for voice communication. The output power is in the region of 10KW per transmitter. The transmitter site is located at Rugby, Warwickshire. The receiving aerials are located at Somerton near Yeovil in Somerset, and are highly directional rhombics spaced every 15 degrees. The direction of the aerials is controlled by the Radio Officer at the Portishead control room in Highbridge.
Link. (When I was in the Coastguard 20 odd years ago we often had dealings with 'Portishead'!)

This could well be the station built by Marconi in the 1920s for the Imperial Wireless Chain (Link ) - it was the receiving station then, too.

(And dang me, I once worked for Marconi! A lot of synchronicity here - which is also the subject of an article in FT171!)

And yet more synchronicity: I lived in Portishead for a happy year or so :).

Iverson cottage

I wasn't entirely sure whether this thread belonged in the ghosts, earth mysteries or consiperacy sections so I've put it here. I've just read the fascinating article in the latest issue of Fortean Times about the Iverson Cottage case and decided to Google search the case but only turned up one link (using the key words Iverson cottage Frank Pattemore):
http://www.truthseekers.freeserve.co.uk/truth/TR13VOLTS.HTM
What does everyone think of this case? At first it sounded to me like a poltergeist case but then why the secrecy and the strange behaviour of the electricity company? And why arrest the son and search their cottage? What were they looking for? Maybe some kind of military project was causing these effects?

There is an interesting second story told in the above link that seems to fit the profile of a poltergiest case, although it has similar aspects to the Iverson story.

I also found it interesting that only one link to a webpage written by the same author who wrote the Fortean Times article can be found on this case.
:confused:

Bump!

Edit: We're over here, Ron!

Found you. Thanks Rynner. Really should have checked here first! Guess my disappearing thread wasn't sinister after all-I'm quite disapointed!:)

I think Bill was quite sensible to give up when the MIBs arrived and his letters started getting messed about with - it was all going very Mothman-shaped. He probably missed the opportunity to go round the twist, but get a classic book out of the situation, though.

Happily, The Cook Report's investigation into the fascinating Iverson cottage and similar cases has suddenly popped up on YouTube (who knows how long it will be allowed to remain).

Fans of bygone British TV may enjoy a knowing chuckle at the name of the channel.

"A non-confrontational but somewhat eerie episode as Roger Cook investigates the likely cover up behind the strange goings-on at two different properties in the west of England."

Back