• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

original_fLeebLe

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
the many lives of dracula - the secret history of the worlds most famous vampire
bloodsuckers - tracking nicaragua's chupacabras
holy blood - christian rite or pagan ceremony
lard of the dead - the peruvian fat killers

that face in the ice must be a photoshopped picture, else that really is :shock:

Mine's here - I'm just in from work, may keep it for a bit until I'm not too tired to enjoy it. ;)

Damn! I'm never going to catch up.

Nice to see Robert Sheppard's letter re global warming in the postbag section. There he is guys, i knew there was at least one of them out there: a scientist studying the global weather dynamics for 30 years that isnt so sure about the whole man-made thing. Remember Galileo! he warns ominously at the end of his scribblings.

havent read the full mag yet, but the blind boy who senses objects thru sound was quite interesting

The Peru fat gang story will need a substantial update it seems.

Invoking Galileo in any science argument is a poor card to play, it's tired rhetorical ploy well past its sell by date. (and that cliche is due for the dumpster too.)

I've just read the Dracula article, good, informative stuff although it would have been nice to know if the new sequel was worth buying or not (I got the impression it was published to drum up interest in a film version).

But good grief, the teeth on the letters page are truly grim.

Having just finished the last issue, I look forward to reading the new issue when it arrives in Australia!

As for the Peru Fat Gang, I've sent in a news clipping saying that it was a hoax. Perhaps that will be printed in a Fortean Update...

My copy arrived on Wednesday, just in time for my three week holiday from work! What utter joy!

Mine arrived, yesterday. Hurrah! :)

The cover's quite good. It does seem like a nod back to the old, 'Famous Monsters of Filmland' and 'Hammer Horror', magazines, of yesteryear. That's not necessarily any bad thing, neither.

In fact, the advert on the back cover is almost as good as the front. My son wants the games and even I'd be tempted to buy any possible magazine quite as lurid as, 'Adventures in Terror', promised to be, for a split second. ;)

There and I haven't even opened FT257, yet!

A friend's just subscribed, so I read most of his copy, saving the articles for my copy... I guess I haven't read FT for a while - I went through Strange Days thinking 'cor blimey' at almost every story. It reminded me why I like FT so much in the first place.

James_H2 said:
A friend's just subscribed, so I read most of his copy, saving the articles for my copy... I guess I haven't read FT for a while - I went through Strange Days thinking 'cor blimey' at almost every story. It reminded me why I like FT so much in the first place.

That's the good thing about FT, you sit there reading Strange Days, thinking "By the gods, people can be weird!"

47Forteans said:
James_H2 said:

That's the good thing about FT, you sit there reading Strange Days, thinking "By the gods, people can be weird!"
That lady who fancies a rollercoaster... I wonder if the rollercoaster fancies her back?

James_H2 said:
47Forteans said:
James_H2 said:

That lady who fancies a rollercoaster... I wonder if the rollercoaster fancies her back?

THeir relationship has its ups and downs.

Only if you keep your arms inside the carriage at all times! :D

Pietro_Mercurios said:
In fact, the advert on the back cover is almost as good as the front. My son wants the games and even I'd be tempted to buy any possible magazine quite as lurid as, 'Adventures in Terror', promised to be, for a split second. ;)

There and I haven't even opened FT257, yet!

If anyone buys this, would you be kind enough to post a review of sorts? It looks like it could go either way to me..............

The ads for the cigarette papers - what do the legs and lady sticking her tongue out have to do with smoking?! Should ads for smoking be allowed in FT?

47Forteans said:
The ads for the cigarette papers - what do the legs and lady sticking her tongue out have to do with smoking?! Should ads for smoking be allowed in FT?
i do not know what ad you are talking about with legs in it, but it is extremely obvious why the lady has her tongue out.

And, it's quite clear that they're not advertising tobacco, just papers. What you put in them is no concern of theirs.

Reminds me of a survey of retail goods in Australia that showed the most popular item was Tally-Hos (brand of cigarette papers), while pouch tobacco was nowhere to be seen. A lot of speculation as to what was going on there. (Clearly it was actually due to larger market segmentation of the pouch tobacco market.) It is unrecorded where Tim-Tams were on the list.

original_fLeebLe said:
47Forteans said:
i do not know what ad you are talking about with legs in it, but it is extremely obvious why the lady has her tongue out.

An earlier ad in FT featured a ladys legs and her handbag open to reveal cigarette papers flying out.

original_fLeebLe said:
that face in the ice must be a photoshopped picture, else that really is :shock:

I dunno about photoshopped, but when I opened my issue yesterday I thought the Norwegian ice cliff face looks frighteningly like Michael Jackson.

Icky Tooth Picture

Yeesh...that "tooth fairy" photo on page 76 was really, really disturbing. I had to put a sticky Post It note over it so I wouldn't accidentally see it again, and yet the image keeps coming back to me. (I keep a pad of Post Its handy when I read FT now, in case there are more "freaky impaling accidents" or "new species of giant centipede" or such like photos...)

FT 257 finally hit the stands here in Australia, and it seems the good Count is still as sexy as ever. Last week I noted that the local newsagent still had 4 copies of the Dennis Wheatley issue on its stands, this week I grabbed the last copy left on the stands. Personally dead Eastern Eurpoeans do nothing for me, but they obviously get the attention of a certain section of the market .

Steve1 said:
FT 257 finally hit the stands here in Australia, and it seems the good Count is still as sexy as ever. Last week I noted that the local newsagent still had 4 copies of the Dennis Wheatley issue on its stands, this week I grabbed the last copy left on the stands. Personally dead Eastern Eurpoeans do nothing for me, but they obviously get the attention of a certain section of the market .

I cannae see the interest in vampires. Are we meant to feel pity for them because they have to remain young and immortal forever?

Right, found the correct issue.... Again, picking out past issues at random for a re-read. The Count Dracula article has a great big green headline in the middle of the page saying HIS AQUILINE FEATURES WERE ESPECIALLY SUITED TO SINISTER ROLES. It takes some digging into the text to realise this is not referring to Christopher Lee, but to a Victorian theatrical luvvie called Sir Henry Irving.

Then you see the photo of Henry Irving at the bottom of the page, with the Oscar Wilde hairstyling.... and more than a passing resemblence to Christopher Lee, as if the two of them are on the same family tree. (The next level of Fortean thinking is to speculate on reincarnation).

Hmm. Irving, 1838 - 1905.
Lee, 1922 - 2015.

so who knows... (EDIT - Christopher Lee is not related to Henry Irving. Although the resemblence has been noted by others and Lee has played the role of Irving on film/ in theatre. The jury is still out on reincarnation but is expected to come back with the Scottish third way verdict of "Not Proven")

Back