• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT261

Timble2

Imaginary Person
This has just plopped through the letterbox, looks promising, Jesus in Britain, a big feature on photographing ghosts, Lightning Images and Brion Gysin's dream machine... a thick issue too.

The SS Watertown photograph investigation is a great piece of detective work, exactly why the FT is the fine journal it is today. Get that man to Newby Church!

Fistly, they really do "plop" through the letterbox don't they? This is my first proper FT via subscription, since the 90s I have always pur-chased FT in WH Smiths but the whole 3 editions for £1 had me sold.

Ace edition, had me sat up in bed until 1am!

Anyone else find the delayed letters article strangely sad and poignant? I do every time they run it.

Why was there a short obit for Peter Benchley when he died four years ago?

And where was the Classical Corner swear word this issue?

Can't wait for this issue to arrive in Australia - shall look forward to reading it over the Easter Break (assuming that it arrives by this Thursday!)

47Forteans said:
Can't wait for this issue to arrive in Australia - shall look forward to reading it over the Easter Break (assuming that it arrives by this Thursday!)

It'll arrive by EAster 2011.

Mine hasn't arrived yet. Strange, as it's usually one of the first. :(

I got mine and i am loving it, had it about a week now or just under. The photograph article is the best.

escargot1 said:
Mine hasn't arrived yet. Strange, as it's usually one of the first. :(

The guys at the local sorting office are having hours of fun with it.

As long as they wipe it down afterwards...

ramonmercado said:
47Forteans said:

It'll arrive by Easter 2011.

Now you've said that, it probably will! Curses!

Mine's here. 8)

Don't worry, 47Forteans, I'll tell'ee all about it. ;)

gncxx said:
The SS Watertown photograph investigation is a great piece of detective work, exactly why the FT is the fine journal it is today. Get that man to Newby Church!

Didn't manage to produce an unadorned copy of the original photo though, did it..?

escargot1 said:
Mine's here. 8)

Cheers Escargot1! Because my copy hasn't arrived! Now I will have to wait until Tuesday (hopefully!) - I am having Fortean Withdrawals! :nooo:

Mine turned up, this afternoon. :)

A double thumbs up for the Hunt Emerson cartoon about folk song collector and magus Harry Smith! :yeay: :yeay:

47Forteans said:
escargot1 said:
Mine's here. 8)

Cheers Escargot1! Because my copy hasn't arrived! Now I will have to wait until Tuesday (hopefully!) - I am having Fortean Withdrawals! :nooo:

Oooohhh, it's great! it's wonderful! Oooh! Oooh! Look at that! Wow!

:lol:

Particularly enjoyed the ghost photo articles. I love everything about ghost photos - how they're faked, how people were taken in by them in years gone by, how they're debunked. :D

My own home town was an early centre for 'spirit photography' so perhaps it's in the blood. ;)

Just now, happened to come across a nice story about an alleged Arthur Conan Doyle 'ghostly signature' photo online. :D

Totally authentic, of course. ;)

Photo

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle Ghost

"Tom Lynn took this photograph of his friend Patterson.

The photograph shows a script from, and the signature of, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, an Honorary President in Spirit of the Spiritualists' National Union.

Lady Conan Doyle authenticated this signature as being that of her husband. Another historical photograph.." - Vi Kipling

Spirit Photo Reply:

I have already commented about the possibility of the photographer writing onto the photographic glass plate with a stylus in advance of the sitting and the taking of the photograph.

If this were the case here then faking a signature would be much harder to have done and this of course gives weight to the claim that this is a genuine paranormal picture.

In 1916 Arthur Conan Doyle, the author of the Sherlock Holmes stories made a declaration that would impact the rest of his life. He stated his belief in Spiritualism and spent a good part of his later life investigating paranormal phenomena. There have been many instances of Conan Doyle giving messages through mediums or at séance.

Lady Conan Doyle was herself a medium and on one occasion she gave a message to Houdini. Unfortunately Houdini was not convinced as the spirit message was in English which was a language his Yiddish speaking mother had never mastered. Houdini and Doyle spent many years debating and sometimes debunking the reality - or otherwise - of spirit communication.

Many thanks to the Spiritualist Vi Kipling for discovering and obtaining permission to use these spirits images.

escargot1 said:
47Forteans said:
escargot1 said:
Mine's here. 8)

You know, I tend to say that whilst reading most issues of FT. I often take it into the office and read out the funnier parts of Strange Days and the more "Unusual" letters...

...only to have folk look at me as if I am strange...

47Forteans said:
escargot1 said:
47Forteans said:
escargot1 said:
Mine's here. 8)

You know, I tend to say that whilst reading most issues of FT. I often take it into the office and read out the funnier parts of Strange Days and the more "Unusual" letters...

...only to have folk look at me as if I am strange...

My copy arrived on Tuesday, and I've worked my way through Strange Days, but am saving the features for when I have more than five minutes to spare. It's a cracking good read!

The USS Watertown photo article is:

The Watertown Ghosts
A photo of dead sailors returned to haunt their old ship is one of the most famous ghost pictures ever, but there's more to it than meets the eye...
By Blake Smith April 2010

The full article can be accessed at the Wayback Machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/2010042...m/features/fbi/3256/the_watertown_ghosts.html

Back