• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT273

Anome_ said:
I don't see why the Bigfoot carrying off a man has to be obviously female. For a start, it can be hard to tell with all the fur. Plus, who are we to judge the sexual mores of cryptids?

I was exposed to too much Robert Crumb as a youngster, I suspect. :madeyes:

Maybe the spoof cover would be a good idea if it was kept to a one-off for the first April issue for Fool's Day and you could have a round-up of the year's hoaxes inside.

I'd look forward to that.

jimv1 said:
47Forteans said:
There would have to be a great headline for that issue! "My Haunted Cup Runneth Over", "Ghostbusters", that sort of thing! I would add more, but I don't want to make a tit of myself!

How about 'Bell, boob and candle'?

"Boobs, Tits and Other Fortean Birds" for a Hitchcock themed edition!

Dr_David_Sutton said:
Oh, and we've realised the Swastika-festooned cover of FT273 was not a good idea for subscribers in Europe, where it went out in a non-opaque envelope - apology in next issue. Sorry, folks.

Thanks - though I have a feeling that we'll be going through all this again in about 18 months' time when FT next runs a Nazi cover item, if the frequency of such over the last 4 years or so is anything to go by - be-swastika'd UFOs and Christmas baubles (among other items) have featured in the last few years, with no apparent variation in editorial stance or mailing policies, despite complaints...

We counted 4 Swastikas over 100 issues, so you exaggerate a bit.

As to your earlier point post, in which you "wonder what kind of clientele FT are trying to attract...", the answer is "anyone who picks up the mag". I know it pains many on the Forteana list, but we're neither exclusive nor picky about who reads FT. It's a magazine, not a private members' club.

Not being picky, but 4 swastikas in 100 covers is rather a lot, if you object to swastikas in general.

Personally, if I didn't have the magazine through the post on subscription I might not read the 'swastika' editions. Carrying a publication with a prominent swastika on the front makes the reader look like someone with an interest in Nazism.

It wouldn't matter if they offered me a plain brown wrapper, either, as I'd probably be too embarrassed to buy it anyway. :lol:

escargot1 said:
Not being picky, but 4 swastikas in 100 covers is rather a lot, if you object to swastikas in general.

Personally, if I didn't have the magazine through the post on subscription I might not read the 'swastika' editions. Carrying a publication with a prominent swastika on the front makes the reader look like someone with an interest in Nazism.

It wouldn't matter if they offered me a plain brown wrapper, either, as I'd probably be too embarrassed to buy it anyway. :lol:

You could always hide it inside a copy of the Daily Mail!.....errr

escargot1 said:

Maybe 4% of FT readers are fascists.

Timble2 said:
You could always hide it inside a copy of the Daily Mail!.....errr

Fightin' talk, that is. :evil:

But - but you told me that was an exclusive hot oil beauty treatment! :shock:

Dr_David_Sutton said:
I know it pains many on the Forteana list, but we're neither exclusive nor picky about who reads FT. It's a magazine, not a private members' club.

I'll remember that when you put the tickets up for sale for the next rally....er I mean Unconvention.

Dr_David_Sutton said:
We counted 4 Swastikas over 100 issues, so you exaggerate a bit.

4 is 4 too many when you consider that the display of swastikas is actually illegal in some countries and could land you in trouble.

The lack of opaque covers was discussed in this thread on FT218, the "Nazi bauble" one:
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/v...ys=0&postorder=asc&highlight=swastika&start=0.

Dr_David_Sutton said:
As to your earlier point post, in which you "wonder what kind of clientele FT are trying to attract...", the answer is "anyone who picks up the mag". I know it pains many on the Forteana list, but we're neither exclusive nor picky about who reads FT. It's a magazine, not a private members' club.

So, a bit like Fox News, "Not Nazi, but #1 with Nazis"? Seriously, if you must have such covers, can we please have opaque covers, as you promised 4 years ago in the thread linked to above?

I have to admit having had four Nazi themed covers in the past few years is something that makes me cringe. Having a look at the stranger side of the Nazi party (not the genocidal, world conquering bit, just the esoteric parts, like any other party) but then having a different cover might be a good idea...

My copy just arrived - a double hit! Issue 271 and issue 273! :D

For me the front cover had the address slip on it, and the back cover, with the grosteque ad, was the visible part. And me living in a very conservative town in the US that accepts neo-Nazis before nudity.

EDIT: of course, while the front cover was hidden, the swastika itself was clearly visible through the wimpy paper used to hide it, so it seems like the whole effort of changing where the address slip usually goes was pointless.

I used to get my FTs in a nice white opaque envelope. That was so nice. The postman didn't think I was a freak. Now I'm afraid that one day I'm going to be attacked by villagers waving pitchforks and torches.

Seriously, FT. If you are going to put those ugly ads on the back cover and Nazi symbols on the front, please do us the courtesy of covering it ALL up so we don't get in trouble. Thanks.

And I haven't even gotten into the issue yet... subscription is getting less and less reliable. Grr.

Now I'm afraid that one day I'm going to be attacked by villagers waving pitchforks and torches.

I hope you live in a State that allows you to buy machine guns. :)

Whether I use machine guns against their pitchforks, or they use machine guns against my white flag, it's a fight I'd rather not be in. The solution would be so simple... just switch back to those nice opaque envelopes again.

Ah well. While I'm dreaming I want a pony and world peace.

Back