• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT273

ramonmercado said:
Cultjunky said:
Which one's your one?

Why do you want to know that? Are you collating info about me? Eh? Eh? Bet you work for MI6!

I can confirm that the contents of the document (i) will be disseminated(ii) to the public, via prescribed public mechanisms(iii), following a period of consultation between individuals(iv) who have previously expressed an interest(v) in obtaining said document(s) in advance of potential(vi) public consumption, along with other documents of a similar(vii) nature, which may or may not have relevance to each other.

I can confirm that your communications are being monitored.

I can confirm that I'm funded by a government department.

(i) See FT273:70-75.
(ii) See http://www.dennis.co.uk/
(iii) See http://www.whsmith.co.uk/
(iv) See http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/ for further discussion
(v) All individuals have undergone an eligibility process, following an intent of interest request, to ascertain their suitability to receive said documentation.
(vi) See http://www.denniscommunications.com/
(vii) See http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/similar

I have waaay to much time on my hands 8)

It was nicer in the old days when MI6 wasn't subject to scruitiny.

I wrote the letter about the guy "saving" Hitler.

Bah! that letter was way to sensible! you really must try harder ramon.

I found my attention wavering while reading the lost nazi treasure meets the nazi temple of doom during the last nazi crusade.Did the nazis really come into the article just for the last few paragraphs?If so then did we really need the nazi cover?Maybe the FT staff have got a bad case of the mel brooks (totally obsessed by nazis)

Liked the richard the third article,but to say that it takes a pinch of salt to imagine that Henry ordered Richards bones to be thrown in the river...since henry hounded one queen to death,had the heads of two other queens chopped off,roasted a bishop in chains..well you get my point,ordering the bones of his fathers enemy to be dumped in a river would seem sensible to henry.And any peasants that tried to stop it happening.... :(

titch said:
....If so then did we really need the nazi cover?Maybe the FT staff have got a bad case of the mel brooks (totally obsessed by nazis)....

Alan Coren, in his collection of articles "Golfing for Cats" notes that books on cats, golf and the Nazis sell well....the cover shows a cat, wearing a swastika armband, playing golf.

Just arrived. Quite relieved to see that the address leaf covered the front page. You could still see through it, but you had to squint.

My, that Circus of Horrors ad on the back page is eye catching. :lol:

What is it with the sneaky advertorials featuring the spooky experiences of faded pop stars with a product to plug? This issue we have Numan and Foxx invading 'It happened to me'.

It's all a bit 'Me and my spoon' isn't it?

Surely the "Me And My Spoon" gig is handled by some bloke called Uri?

jimv1 said:
What is it with the sneaky advertorials featuring the spooky experiences of faded pop stars with a product to plug? This issue we have Numan and Foxx invading 'It happened to me'.

It's all a bit 'Me and my spoon' isn't it?

The obvious connection is Dennis Publications surely? Work it out for yourself, the clues are all within this issue.

It's an example of editorial content being determined by the publisher, not the editor I'd say. A very, very bad portent if I'm correct.

Yes, the portents are very, very bad.

Next issue we've got an exclusive interview with Ant & Dec about strange things they've seen in the jungle, plus a Katie Price IHTM called "my haunted boobs".

I cant wait for the "i had sex with a poltergeist" article by anne widdecombe (with pictures!!!!) :madeyes:

Dr_David_Sutton said:
...an exclusive interview with Ant & Dec about strange things they've seen in the jungle...

Dr_David_Sutton said:
...plus a Katie Price IHTM called "my haunted boobs".

Jordan twice in one issue?! That's a bit much.

Pietro_Mercurios said:
titch said:
Bah! that letter was way to sensible! you really must try harder ramon.

Yes. Far too sensible.

Well, RTE are making a documentary about the old fraud so I might have to write some mad letters.

Seriously, Dennis have never put any pressure on us to include anything in the mag, so you can blame us, not them, for articles you don't like.

It was through Dennis, not because of them, that we made contact with John Foxx and Gary Numan, who are both big FT fans. John was really keen to talk to us about his own rather esoteric interests, and we thought the result was sufficiently interesting to publish in the mag. I know not everyone enjoys interviews with people from outside mainstream forteana (now there's a contradiction in terms), but we do like to provide variety in FT. I thought it was just a wonderfully packed issue with something for pretty much everyone.

As to Gary's IHTM, we'd love to get more entries in this section from cultural figures, stars and slebs, so send in suggestions or ask your famous friends to share their strange stories with us!

Oh, and we've realised the Swastika-festooned cover of FT273 was not a good idea for subscribers in Europe, where it went out in a non-opaque envelope - apology in next issue. Sorry, folks.

Oh, and we've realised the Swastika-festooned cover of FT273 was not a good idea for subscribers in Europe, where it went out in a non-opaque envelope - apology in next issue. Sorry, folks

Well the guy whose gandad saved Hitler might have bought it.

Dr_David_Sutton said:
As to Gary's IHTM, we'd love to get more entries in this section from cultural figures, stars and slebs, so send in suggestions or ask your famous friends to share their strange stories with us!

I actually like that idea, I wonder if a few Gary Numan fans picked up FT for the first time? There always seems to be a queue for celebs to plonk their arses in a jungle, I would imagine they would be open to any mag publicity. Obviously, they would have be portrayed as being sound of mind when they saw that UFO over London after falling out of some club. :twisted:

I don't have a problem with the celeb strangeness stories in FT either, the more the merrier I say. Didn't Kenny Everett's wife compile a book full of them in the eighties? Worth investigating?

Dr_David_Sutton said:
Seriously, Dennis have never put any pressure on us to include anything in the mag, so you can blame us, not them, for articles you don't like.

It was through Dennis, not because of them, that we made contact with John Foxx and Gary Numan, who are both big FT fans. John was really keen to talk to us about his own rather esoteric interests, and we thought the result was sufficiently interesting to publish in the mag. I know not everyone enjoys interviews with people from outside mainstream forteana (now there's a contradiction in terms), but we do like to provide variety in FT. I thought it was just a wonderfully packed issue with something for pretty much everyone.

A truly Fortean coincidence then that having run full page ads for the 'Back to the Phuture' gig featuring Gary Numan and John Foxx for the past few weeks we get tales of their spooky experiences in the main body of the mag.
It just seems a bit desperate. It's becoming harder to find credible accounts of the weird but when a celeb who is plugging an album or tour tells a strange story in this context, there's already a money-making motive for it being related with a view to publication.

It just reduces the objectivity of the rest of the mag in my opinion.

What about the rest of them...How about 'Past lives of The Motors?' Or why not take on Hello with 'Jade Goody's Face in Toast' as a cover story?

If it carries on this way, we'll be entering Viz territory.

No, it's not a 'truly Fortean coincidence' as you sarcastically suggest. As I thought I'd made clear, it was Dennis Publishing's involvement with John and Gary that put us in touch with them. We saw it as an enjoyable opportunity, rather than some kind of evil capitalist conspiracy; it's just the way things tend to happen in the media, as in life.

Dr_David_Sutton said:
it's just the way things tend to happen in the media, as in life.

The media. My God. You've openly invited celeb spook stories, the PR people that pump out non-stories to get column inches for their clients now seemingly have access to a new target market. And if the Foxx and Numan stories are anything to go by, an unquestioning one at that.

And of course, they'd NEVER make anything up would they?

I fully look forward to Kelly Brook's new regular feature in the FT... 'My Haunted Bra'.

There would have to be a great headline for that issue! "My Haunted Cup Runneth Over", "Ghostbusters", that sort of thing! I would add more, but I don't want to make a tit of myself!

When all others have left the house
Fire up the 'puter, connect the mouse
Enter into Google
The name Kelly Brooks
Find a healthy lass, with outstanding looks

If you ever need a poet for the mag... just saying

Dr_David_Sutton said:
Who is Kelly Brooks?

She is a modelsleb who notoriously seeks exposure in any newspaper or mag that'll run puff pieces. She has her knockers but I think she's sweet.

47Forteans said:
There would have to be a great headline for that issue! "My Haunted Cup Runneth Over", "Ghostbusters", that sort of thing! I would add more, but I don't want to make a tit of myself!

How about 'Bell, boob and candle'?

I'd enjoy seeing the occasional BEM abducts half nekkid ladee cover, for nostalgia reasons. Big Foot carrying of a female camper, in a Big Foot related issue. That sort of thing.

UFO issues with shiny, robotic aliens abducting attractive blondes in negligées, etc. You know, like covers of pulp SF magazines from the the Golden Age of SF. The covers were were full color and lurid, even if nothing remotely like it actually happened in the stories.

Alternatively, enormous, hairy, female Yetis, abducting half nekkid, attractive young guys in their undies, as a post-modernist role reversal.

More lurid, sexy and funny covers, please. :)

I don't see why the Bigfoot carrying off a man has to be obviously female. For a start, it can be hard to tell with all the fur. Plus, who are we to judge the sexual mores of cryptids?

The occasional jokey pulpy or sensationalist cover is OK, as long as it doesn't become the default. Like Pietro, I'd enjoy them, but it might be a problem for the mag if people stop taking it seriously.

Back