• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT275

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
FT 275 has just dropped through the mail box - an unusual day for it to do so!

Bones with Bling, Celebrity Spooks and Holy Wells.

And UnCon dates 12th and 13th November.

Gordon

Here too.

Love the cover, not sure what the postman would have made of it though.

ramonmercado said:
liveinabin1 said:
Here too.

Love the cover, not sure what the postman would have made of it though.

Aaaaargh! Whats on the cover?

It's a picture of a postman. No, not really, it's a decorated skellington.

Haven't had a chance to do much more than flick through it, but looking forward to the Andy Kaufman article.

I looked for Ghostwatch three times until I realised a row of nubile young women on a pink cushion were this month's fare. Then Yvette Fielding hove into view and normality and blond highlights were resumed. Curiously the advert of her on page 3 has La Fielding with a magenta rinse.

YF always puts me in mind of an ill-disposed landlady in a particular rough Manchester pub, or a tulpa of the collective anxieties in Coronation Street.

Strange that Issue 274 was the Special issue, rather than 275, like issue 250 was. Perhaps I am the only one to think that is odd...

Mine's arrived, but I have work to do.

No sign of mine yet. But then, our post is so late these days that today's delivery could well be yesterday's round..

Looking forward to the Andy Kaufman thing too. Intriguing bloke.

47Forteans said:
Strange that Issue 274 was the Special issue, rather than 275, like issue 250 was. Perhaps I am the only one to think that is odd...

I believe every 13th issue is the special issue......thirteen magazines a year, only twelve months to name them after!

There's an all time classic IHTM by a retired Surrey copper.

"The Saturdays. Would you engage in parapsychological investigations with this lot?

are "parapsychological investigations" supposed to be a Ugandan-style euphemism?

or is it merely a rhetorical question which presumes a negative response?

from wikipedia:

Ghosthunting with... The Saturdays
Main article: Ghosthunting with...#The Saturdays

The Saturdays took part in paranormal television programme based on investigating purported paranormal activity, Ghosthunting with... Yvette Fielding, the host of the show, took the band to three different haunted locations in Wales. The show aired on 8 November 2010.[72] The Saturdays band members accompany Yvette for the scariest night of their lives. The girls visit three equally terrifying locations, nestled within the Welsh mountains; the clock tower, the manor and the kitchen block. In each of these areas there have been countless reports of strange sightings, the sounds of chatter coming from empty rooms, cooking smells coming from an empty kitchen, and reported ghostly sightings.[73] During the time in the first location, Rochelle Wiseman said she felt someone touch her leg and someone blowing onto her neck.[73]

The second ghostly hot spot is the eerie clock tower, which was constructed using beams taken from an ill fated ship. The tower is rumoured to be haunted by a restless spirit of a suicide victim and anyone who enters is confronted by his hostile presence. The second location, Vanessa White was touched on the back.[73]

The final destination of the evening is the manor. The girls visited the foreboding first floor landing which has been noted as supposedly having the most paranormal activity in the building. Next up is the surgery room which was used by the Red Cross for injured soldiers during the First World War and finally the attic where the tormented spirit is said to sway back and forth in an old rocking chair. Strangely, it is said that female entertainers who would perform at the Manor for the former owner complained of being harassed by an evil presence.[73] At the last location, Una Healy was playing marbles with a spirit which was said to be a little girl. The marble flew down Healy's top, but she later could not find a marble down her top. When the band was about to leave the haunted location the spirit of the little girl apparently threw marbles at them.[73]

if using celebs to get people to watch a program they wouldn't otherwise watch I don't see a problem.

Though I agree it's difficult to get anyone to take ghosts seriously, but that would apply whoever a ghost-hunting program used, celebs or otherwise.

----
the pix on page 71 give a new meaning to getting wood :)

Anyone else laugh at the cheery chappie on the levitation part of the letters pages? At least the FT have his money.

gncxx said:
Anyone else laugh at the cheery chappie on the levitation part of the letters pages? At least the FT have his money.

David Frazier? Wow - what an absolute cock.

CarlosTheDJ said:
47Forteans said:

I believe every 13th issue is the special issue......thirteen magazines a year, only twelve months to name them after!

Well, yes, I was aware of that when I made my post, but I was just curious that 274 was the special rather than 275...

Couple of errors in the reviews section:
Tom Ruffles review of book "Paranormal media" lacks a number.
Peter Hassall's review of "Wonders in the Sky" has wrong publication date - says 2000, should be 2010.
--
Bob Rickard writes a lengthy review of book "Pseudoscience" and gives it a score of 8, without noticing that it costs £58.99 for less than 200 pages. Even allowing for normal library discounts that's way too expensive for public libraries to spend money on, especially at a time when hundreds have been forced to close due to cuts in local government funding.
--
Nick Cirkovic's review of Shogun 2: Total war, Nick was lucky he get a review copy which included DX11 support - the public release version currently lacks it as the developers were unable to get it working to their satisfaction in time.

Liked the Trunko article a lot, sounds like they have it identified and can back it up with evidence and a plausible explanation. Probably explains why similar creatures were never really spotted afterwards.

I found the Kaufman article very tedious ,but the rest of the mag more then made up for it , i found the holy well article very interesting ,i had just assumed that they where part of an unbroken tradition going back too our earliest roots . but nvm , now how about we arrange a fortean food trip? we start of in china with boiled eggs n piss ,and finish in New Zealand with a pint of stallion sperm...oooo ok maybe not..

So did mine. It took the same amount of time to get to Australia, as to get to Holland? Odd.

Copies sent too Holland are sent by chinese lanterns :D

My copy was waiting for me when I arrived home from work yesterday. What joy it was to read about drunken elephats and the myth of drunken elephants in Mythconceptions.

Got mine late (from Smiths and "late" as in "I didn't get around to buying it ASAP")

Good issue. Fund the Trunko article interesting and, I'd say, Case Closed. I admit, I've not seen much of Kaufman (a hazy recollection of episodes of Taxi is all) but I'm intrigued and would like to see more to judge him as being some form of comic genius. After all, comedy is a very subjective thing.

Interesting thing about flashy corpses and I'm considering buying the author's forthcoming book.

On a personal note, I found it amusing to read the Holy Well's article in conjunction with the phenomenomix cartoon about Ol' Ma Shipton. In July I'm getting married and we're on honeymoon in ... Knaresborough. Now I know the Shipton revelations have been unravelled but the idea of the (very real) pertifying wells, with their old items left to calcify, right next to the old girl's cave and an alleged wishing spring, all adds up to a "sort of" holy well.

47Forteans said:
My copy was waiting for me when I arrived home from work yesterday. What joy it was to read about drunken elephats and the myth of drunken elephants in Mythconceptions.

The question is: Do drunken elephants see Purple People?

Stormkhan said:
I admit, I've not seen much of Kaufman (a hazy recollection of episodes of Taxi is all) but I'm intrigued and would like to see more to judge him as being some form of comic genius. After all, comedy is a very subjective thing.

There's quite a lot of Kaufman's antics on YouTube, worth seeing. He was either an incredible nuisance or an incredible nutcase, or maybe both, but personally I think he could be very funny indeed, if only for his massive amount of gall.

Who is David Frazier , and why is he as humpy as mr humpy the 3 humped camel?

US Subscriber just got my copy today. About four weeks after the last issue, so it all seems to be back on schedule.

The Kaufman piece was a nice reminder of his whole story but left me wondering about the faked death.

a) What if he did plan to fake his death, disappeared off somewhere to be a hermit for a few years and was then hit by a bus and buried as a unidentified John Doe. Unlikely, but...

b) And more importantly, has anyone in the modern age actually faked their death and come back? Often it is talked about, or after a celebrity death the conspiracy rises, but unless you actually did want to disappear then there would inevitably have to be the showy rebirth - has anyone of note ever done it? I can't imagine even the loyalist fan of a major celebrity would be too pleased about being put through such an emotional wringer. Can't see that it would really do much for anyone's popularity to pull such a stunt - hence why it hasn't happened?

Back