• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT276

WhistlingJack

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
New issue's here :D

COVER: Giants On Earth - Do the Descendants of Gigantopithecus Still Walk Among Us?

STRANGE DAYS: Stop Making Sense (TV presenter breakdowns)
The Bin Laden Conspiracies (Inevitable, that one...)
Photos of 'Virginian Blob' and 'Cave of Fortune Lake Fish'
'Ghost' photo
Kate Middleton jellybean simulacra

SCIENCE: The Men In White Suits

Big 'Uncon 2011' ad

CLASSICAL CORNER: Don't Let the Sun Catch You Lying

GHOSTWATCH: 'Elvis' pub window image

ALIEN ZOO: Liberia's Pint-Sized Pachyderm & New Guinea Tassie

It's Raining Worms!

KONSPIRACY KORNER: JFK, Marilyn & MJ-12

Relic Round-Up

MYTHCONCEPTIONS: Spartan Infanticide

NECROLOG: Sai Baba

BLASTS FROM THE PAST: The Devil of Bracken County

Starlite Man

THE FORTEAN TIMES RANDOM DICTIONARY OF THE DAMNED: Miracles

FORUM: Cod Codices & Inventing the Middle Ages

No nutjob letter this month :(

In true Fortean style I was just talking about Starlight the other day with someone at work...

The Tree Giants article look a long time to say very little of substance.

notice one of the people whose book got reviewed (not by me) is Nigel Bryant, who was in year below me at school.

be interesting to see how the author of the article on the disappearing 300 years 600-900 stands in relation to the Anglo-Saxon chronicle - was this totally rewritten to invent 300 years of English history as well?

Mal_Content said:
Considering the venerability of the authors, it was a bloody frustrating read as well. Lots of non-sequiturs: eg in the third from last paragraph on p37:
Coleman and Hall said:
A dead true giant was once measured to be 13ft (4m) tall..
What? When? By whom? This implies some serious evidence for what was otherwise an almost irritatingly nebulous piece that danced around the very premise of which it was trying to convince us. It also dwelt rather too long on whether gigantopitchecus was proto-ape or proto-humanoid or none of the above, made no mention of the Nephilim when discussing possible historical contexts (surely one of the most obvious motifs)..

Personally I found it very disappointing, especially for a cover story and doubly so from authors this respected. Nice pics though.

Anyway, the rest of the issue is jolly good. I'd forgotten all about Starlite!

I agree about the giants article, sounded great until I read it and it was a lot of pussyfooting around with no evidence, not even a good anecdote or two. Besides, if people grew that big they'd be too heavy to move properly. Maybe the authors were saving the good stuff for their book - if not, I'll make a note not to read it.

Starlite, that was far more interesting, I'll have to check YouTube for the clip of Tomorrow's World. I don't know how to explain it if it really was a trick.

Having read the Starlite article, there's only one way I can think it could work. The strongest bond in an organic polymer is the carbon-carbon bond, once that has broken, the polymer will destroyed. I'm wondering if Starlite is working as a sacraficial coating? The energy applied burns off the coating, leaving the substrate untouched. Maybe this is why he can't sell it - it's less use if it is a one hit wonder.

Wikipedia says that Maurice Ward died in 2011. I suppose that, if there ever was a secret, he's taken it to his grave.

------

Loved the Starlite and Glycon articles, also ambivalent/dissapointed by Giants.

James_H2 said:
Wikipedia says that Maurice Ward died in 2011.

Hmmm.

An unsourced edit by an anonymous user. Can't find anything on Google News to back it up, either.

I just saw that too! Is this the final twist on the whole mysterious affair!

Liked GhostWatch. Normally skim over it but the Tottenham Outrage case & the junkies killing the guy were interesting.

Stop Makin Sense brought back a memory to me! ITHM! At a debate in TCD in 1989 I started out ok, making a joke at the start of my question but then to my horror I started mangling syntax and doing a Burroughs cut and paste on my words. Only time it ever happened although I sometimes reverse the order of a couple of words eg must when instead of when must.

ramonmercado said:
Stop Makin Sense brought back a memory to me! ITHM! At a debate in TCD in 1989 I started out ok, making a joke at the start of my question but then to my horror I started mangling syntax and doing a Burroughs cut and paste on my words. Only time it ever happened although I sometimes reverse the order of a couple of words eg must when instead of when must.

I suspect mangling of sentences in public speaking happens more often than not, and these examples were unlucky enough to be caught doing it on camera.

Worth mentioning too is the missing Dark Ages article, really thought-provoking and a great new way to look at that period, i.e. it didn't happen at all. I hope for a letters page special on why they did or didn't occur.

OK, I know that a lot of the users of the board also subscribe to the mag, but just in case someone doesn't...

My copy spent a week or so on my neighbours kitchen table, in the mean time a second copy was posted out to me. When I received the first copy, I advised the subscription team, who told me to pass it onto friend, for FREE!

So anyone who hasn't got a copy, and would like me to post a Freebie to them, drop me a PM.

The only other person I know who is even remotely interested in the mag, lives with me, and his interest only extends to the length of time his bowel movements are, so he doesn't really need the spare copy.

Sitting here at the Arts end of the world, I am still waiting for my copy to arrive (most likely Monday or Tuesday), otherwise I'd humbly suggest you might consider flinging your spare copy this way!

But then, waiting for the wretched Australian Post to finally deliver FT is half the fun!

HUZZUH!

My copy has arrived!

Shall delve into it with great relish!

Mine arrived today, too. Along with a renewal notice. Should check how many issues I have left, and look at subscribing via Zinio.

It's not about how long it takes to show up, it's about carrying around so much fecking paper all the time.

I thought the article on the Giant Man was a load of bunkum! There seemed to be little evidence for any of his theories, and all speculation with little to back them up.

Or was that just me?

No it wasn't just you, it was disappointingly flimsy.

Oh good, so I am not the only person to think "Where's the evidence?" Had the report been "Theory suggests", it would have been a much better article!

stuneville said:
Mal_Content said:
Considering the venerability of the authors, it was a bloody frustrating read as well. Lots of non-sequiturs: eg in the third from last paragraph on p37:
Coleman and Hall said:
A dead true giant was once measured to be 13ft (4m) tall..
What? When? By whom?

Glad I'm not the only one who thought that! Sounded like the kind of statement that required a footnote...

Disappointing article that one.

Back