• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT278

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
FT 278 juts arrived, ghosts of Versailles as cover article.

Will peruse at my leisure

Gordon

also featuring ....

all the usual stuff plus ...

weird elephant pic,
talking with animals,
weather - earthquake link?
clever dogs,
sci-fi at british library,
mysterious disappearances,
art and magic,
strange beasties,
Proustian doctor and zombies,

Mine's arrived. Has piece on one of my favourite time-slip stories.

Not sure the zombie wasp letter is all that remarkable, if you swat a wasp you often simply stun it, so it can revive itself after a while. Don't see why that shouldn't apply to pesticide sprays as well. They really are tough little critters.

gordonrutter said:
And of course there's the review section which carries a review of what looks like an excellent book (cough, cough), 8 out of 10.

http://www.newlandspress.co.uk/sample-p ... -lafayette

Ahem :)

Gordon
What a subtle and completely unnoticeable plug.

A pity it's not on Kindle, or I'd have bought it already. Might just have to get one off the authors at UnCon.

I'd rather wait for my copy in the mail, rather than New Fangled Technology to get my Fortean Hit!

The talking dog article was great, anyone reminded of Brian from Family Guy, though? Also liked the article on the step up from ABC - ABPs! (Alien Big People).

The talking dog article set me thinking if my Blast from the Past column 'The Hound of Mons' might have had as source an early, garbled account on some of the early experiments.

I liked the Bruce Pennington article - who hasn't grown up with his covers and those of Chris Foss, Patrick Woodroffe and Ina Woodrruf?

Best regards,

Theo

I liked the article by Merrily Harpur, and the Versailles timeslip article.

And of course Henry, the Appaloosa pony!:)

Best,

Theo

gncxx said:
Not sure the zombie wasp letter is all that remarkable, if you swat a wasp you often simply stun it, so it can revive itself after a while. Don't see why that shouldn't apply to pesticide sprays as well. They really are tough little critters.

I was thinking, with the Zombie Wasp and the review for the "Dinoshark" dvd, how long before we get the Zombie Wasp movie? Considering the dross we get as movies, it shouldn't be too long before it hits a Cinema Near You!

47Forteans said:
I was thinking, with the Zombie Wasp and the review for the "Dinoshark" dvd, how long before we get the Zombie Wasp movie? Considering the dross we get as movies, it shouldn't be too long before it hits a Cinema Near You!

How about Dinowasp?!

Dinowasp? Brilliant! I'd pay to see that! Dinowap Vs Zombie Wasp!

Hmmm, Dino Wasp makes me think of Dinobot and Waspinator from Transformers Beast Wars!

I have some very odd thoughts, some times! :wtf:

Got my copy yesterday,and after a dud few issues it was a sparkling return to form , loved the gollum story , the ghost on bus story , most of the mag was top notch ,the time slip article didnt break any new ground but was a good read , so 9/10 for all those involved!

(ps gollum is not form the lotro movie he is from the BOOK!! :twisted: ,and i got my copy from Smiths gave em £5 and got over £4 back in change , i got paid to read the FT!! :D )

I've been reading FT since it was The News. I've never come across Rolf the Philosophical Dog before. Yes, I've read numerous references to Clever Hans, but how come I've never heard about this dog before?

Excuse my ignorance but is this a recently made up story?

Also...I see the tenuous links with pop stars of a certain generation and their spooky encounters is still making the FT. This month, it's Poly Styrene.
Please, please FT - can we at least have the 'Past Lives of The Motors' feature I've been after since you started down this route?

While I'm on. The English Ladies who timeslipped... interesting but this year the Fortean Times has seen too many features that have been allowed to go on and on and on for far too long, dragging a nugget of a Fortean gem into a tortuous case study where no detail, however mundane is beyond inclusion.

These articles usually end up with a subjective conclusion and a helpful note plugging a (possibly forthcoming) book from which the article is taken.

I can see that at £4.25 for recycled news and a puff pieces for writers it's a bit of a win-win for the FT but I think that the readers would be better served by channelling some of that gain into the investigation and reporting of projects suggested by the readers rather than this dry overkill of hundred year old cases. In short - I wouldn't like to see the mag killing the shadow of its former self by raking over the old coals of rehashed old ground.

Of course, I'll take it all back if there's a ghost story from Kelly Brook recounting her supernatural bikini beach encounter in a pictorial manner.

Having read the article on the famous haunting at the Trianon, I wished to add two precisions :

Researcher Léon Rey, an archivist and a paleographer, believed he had uncovered evidence supporting the opinion that the small kiosk could indeed have been the Jeu de Bague. According to him, gardener Richard's books prove that trees had been planted around the kiosk. Lifting Jourdain's and Moberley's objection that there were no trees around the Jeu de Bague.
The Montesquiou-Fezenzac theory is not supported anymore by French parapsychologists, including those who are sceptical of the paranormal nature of the event. Robert Amadou had written in an introduction to a 1956 French edition of An adventure (well before Joan Evan's article) that it was proven that no party had been hosted in the park on this day. The Comte had to ask for an authorization from the administrators of the park to host his dress parties, and so it would be consigned in their official archives. They contain nothing of the sort for 10 August 1901.

Back